Chimeras

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Chimeras
I'd like to get some views on chimeras(the genetic anomaly, not the mythological beast). I asked this question in a Christian forum, since they have a lot more to explain(with the souls and what not), but I'd also like some smart people to answer. How about the interspecies chimera some are pushing for? That's a bit more of a political/moral question, but I find it all very interesting. I'm still somewhat undecided about this all, but I'm inclined to lean towards it.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 10:03 AM
RE: Chimeras
I've never heard of chimeras before, but I checked the wikipedia page about them and I dont get what they have to do with souls, politics or morals. Or have I gotten something wrong? With chimera, you mean an animal with two genetically different cell stems?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
(06-09-2010 10:03 AM)Kikko Wrote:  I've never heard of chimeras before, but I checked the wikipedia page about them and I dont get what they have to do with souls, politics or morals. Or have I gotten something wrong? With chimera, you mean an animal with two genetically different cell stems?

Souls - If life starts at conception, and two different conceptions occur, does a chimera have two souls?

Politics - Should we allow scientists to create chimeras, particularly with two different species, for genetic research?

Moral - Is the above moral, along with stem cell research in general?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
06-09-2010, 10:53 AM
(06-09-2010 10:40 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  Souls - If life starts at conception, and two different conceptions occur, does a chimera have two souls?

two souls... an interesting notion. I wonder if it would work like a multiple personality disorder...

Quote:Politics - Should we allow scientists to create chimeras, particularly with two different species, for genetic research?

regardless of what people think, this should be allowed. If theres a way to further medical science than I say fuck majority opinion.

Quote:Moral - Is the above moral, along with stem cell research in general?

Like I said, if it benefits us than anyone who tries to stop it is slowing the progress of civilization.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:Souls - If life starts at conception, and two different conceptions occur, does a chimera have two souls?
Soul as a metaphysical thing: I dont think anybody has a soul.
As a physical thing (feeling, thought and actions based on thought): How could they have when they only have one brain?
Quote:[quote]
Politics - Should we allow scientists to create chimeras, particularly with two different species, for genetic research?
Why not? I just hope PETA and other nuts can hesitate burning down the labs...
Quote:Moral - Is the above moral, along with stem cell research in general?
What the...?

Accept me or go to hell.
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
(06-09-2010 11:32 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Soul as a metaphysical thing: I dont think anybody has a soul.
As a physical thing (feeling, thought and actions based on thought): How could they have when they only have one brain?
Naturally. That's why it is a bit more tricky for the Christians who argue that life starts at conception(and thus all zygotes have souls) to answer.

Quote:Why not? I just hope PETA and other nuts can hesitate burning down the labs...
Well, I'd be against raising chimeras to adulthood if they were in pain and suffering. However, it appears that most chimeras, even those with multiple species, aren't in pain nor are they suffering. Most people here do have an open mind when it comes to this stuff, but who knows. An atheist can be a crazed PETA member as well.

Quote:What the...?
It's a big political debate. A lot of people are uneasy as is when it comes to stem cells, throw in what they view as abominations of nature and people tend to freak.

06-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:Well, I'd be against raising chimeras to adulthood if they were in pain and suffering.
Of course, but with the word if bolded.
Quote:A lot of people are uneasy as is when it comes to stem cells, throw in what they view as abominations of nature and people tend to freak.
In poor countries some western 'doctors' offer stem cell treatments for other people from western countries (not cheap) and say they can cure almost everything (some even claim to cure cancer). The treatments dont really work that well, since stem cells arent yet so well researched (even though ,some have been able to grow a heart out of it!).
Stem cells need to be researched, no matter how many assholes make money by offering non-researched treatment in countries where they are allowed to.

Accept me or go to hell.
06-09-2010, 03:21 PM

http://docinthemachine.com/2007/03/27/humansheep/

This stuff is crazy.

A human-mouse chimera has been created, and thus it opens up the prospect of growing human organs in other species. Furthermore, if an egg from that rat/mouse was fertilized, it could potentially become a person....

It is definitely strange stuff but if it furthers science and makes my life better (or potentially better if I get sick), screw the mouse.
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
(06-09-2010 03:21 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  http://docinthemachine.com/2007/03/27/humansheep/

This stuff is crazy.

A human-mouse chimera has been created, and thus it opens up the prospect of growing human organs in other species. Furthermore, if an egg from that rat/mouse was fertilized, it could potentially become a person....

It is definitely strange stuff but if it furthers science and makes my life better (or potentially better if I get sick), screw the mouse.

Freaky to be sure, but I think the prospect of people signing up to be organ donors becoming unnecessary outweighs any of the willies one may get from those chimeras.

And I am for the ethical treatment of animals to a point, but you're right, screw the rats.

06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:And I am for the ethical treatment of animals to a point, but you're right, screw the rats.

I think this is a good summation for my perspective as well. I don't believe in being cruel to animals but I'm all for animal testing. And, I'm absolutely for embryonic stem cell research and can't believe how much of a debate there has been on the topic in the US.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost