Chimeras

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
RE: Chimeras
ashley.hunt60 Wrote:How about the interspecies chimera some are pushing for?

[Image: catboy1.jpg]
Yes please.

Tongue

But in reality, it's kind of strange to me. But strange doesn't mean bad. Tongue

Quote:Souls - If life starts at conception, and two different conceptions occur, does a chimera have two souls?

This is interesting! I'll write it down! =P

Quote:Politics - Should we allow scientists to create chimeras, particularly with two different species, for genetic research?

Definitely! I don't see how it's really any different from animal testing. With all the leaps and bounds we've come through in genetics recently, more research = more technology = better lives for everyone.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
(06-09-2010 05:33 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  [Image: catboy1.jpg]
Yes please.

Tongue

Close, but they look more like this...
[Image: mouse-ear.jpg]

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah... ew... But... it's for the good of science... Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2010, 10:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2010 10:40 PM by No J..)
07-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:Close, but they look more like this...
[Image: mouse-ear.jpg]
In south park they grew a penis in a rat for mr/mrs Garrison.Smile

I dont like PETA and other wackhos, but it does'nt mean I would support animal cruelty. Where I draw the line in animal cruelty is just so much lower. It's so ridiculous how much attention some young animal activists get by shooting a secret video in some piggery about 1-2 pigs with a very common pig-disease.Dodgy

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
07-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
(07-09-2010 02:40 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  This is incorrect, as far as I can ascertain. I have heard the figure to be roughly around 100 billion (total ever lived), and so since the world population is around 6.8 billion, that is clearly not even close to 1/2. Besides, we cannot actually give credibility to the notion of a soul, or two souls for that matter.

If the soul is created at fertilization, does it just spontaneously appear? Or are parts of it carried by either sex cell? If so, (and forgive my crudeness here) then every time I masturbate, am I spewing out half-souls?

And all this leads us to conclude that the soul must also be small enough to fit inside a small unicellular organism. And if this is the case, then why does it exist only in humans? And furthermore, if it so small, how does it "define" who we are in any way? The soul must also then replicate and split as the embryo develops, so it is contained in each and every cell. Or, it becomes localized in one area of the body like an organ.

Either possibility requires that it have physical structures and properties. Having 2 cells because there are 2 genomes also implies that the genome and the soul are somehow linked. Again, if the soul is figurative, why define it based upon physical, quantifiable benchmarks?

Or maybe no one has any souls.

It is a complicated and tricky subject(for those who accept the premise that a zygote has a soul). I did post this question on a far-right, fundamentalist Christian site a couple days ago. No responseUndecided Which is a shame, because I would like the above quote explained.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
15-09-2010, 12:05 AM

The twins were not considered blood cells of a twin brother who died early in gestation. Twin embryos often share a blood supply to the placenta, allowing blood stem cells to move from one and settle in the bone marrow of the other. Approximately 8% of non-identical twin pairs are chimeras.
17-09-2010, 09:36 AM

There is a different definition of Chimeras. One Chimeras is an album of contemporary classical music by American composer John Zorn. a chimera is an animal that has two or more different populations of genetically distinct cells.