Chimp culture and technology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: Chimp culture and technology
(27-09-2012 12:20 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have no links to back this up at this time BUT - experiments with parrots show them to have intelligence comparable to a 3 year old - I think that was the age. They can do puzzles - fitting colors together, fitting square blocks into square holes and round ones into round holes etc....

They also can create a new concept out of two known ingredients.

[...]

Thanks for the examples. I've never had a parrot, but I know how intelligent they can be. I'm extremely interested in animal intelligence. I recently purchased a book that compares and contrasts the cognitive development of human and chimp children. I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

The you should follow Birdman's recommendation and read about Alex the African Grey. Just google him. You will enjoy reading about it.

I am very interested in animal intelligence too and always read and watch what you post - if I don't have the time to watch right away I do come back to it later. It is fascinating stuff.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2012, 12:51 PM
(27-09-2012 12:32 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This video illustrates some of the differences between chimp and human child intelligence:

Smile And that explains why apes have no religion. Tongue

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-09-2012, 01:29 PM
(27-09-2012 12:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  The you should follow Birdman's recommendation and read about Alex the African Grey. Just google him. You will enjoy reading about it.

I am very interested in animal intelligence too and always read and watch what you post - if I don't have the time to watch right away I do come back to it later. It is fascinating stuff.

Some of the stuff I've read mentions him. I've also watch numerous videos on him. Thanks for the compliments.

(27-09-2012 12:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Smile And that explains why apes have no religion. Tongue

So true, so true. However, monkeys in 12th-century Japan apparently worshiped frogs as the Buddha. Seems legit to me...

[Image: chc58djc5ab-giga-1.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2012, 01:50 PM
(27-09-2012 01:29 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 12:34 PM)Dom Wrote:  The you should follow Birdman's recommendation and read about Alex the African Grey. Just google him. You will enjoy reading about it.

Some of the stuff I've read mentions him. I've also watch numerous videos on him. Thanks for the compliments.

(27-09-2012 12:51 PM)Dom Wrote:  Smile And that explains why apes have no religion. Tongue

So true, so true. However, monkeys in 12th-century Japan apparently worshiped frogs as the Buddha. Seems legit to me...

[Image: chc58djc5ab-giga-1.jpg]

ROFLMAO

28-09-2012, 02:23 AM
(27-09-2012 12:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  I have no links to back this up at this time BUT - experiments with parrots show them to have intelligence comparable to a 3 year old - I think that was the age. They can do puzzles - fitting colors together, fitting square blocksinto square holes and round ones into round holes etc....

They also can create a new concept out of two known ingredients.

Simple personal example:

I have a parrot who loves bananas and corn. He has seen me cut a piece of banana off a whole banana for him many times, I hold up the whole banna and ask him what it is and he answers: "Good, good banana". Then I cut a slice for him.

But he only knew corn in the shape of a 1/2 inch thick wheel of a cob as I cut the corn for him on a cutting board where he cannot see me. I hold up the wheel of corn and he tells me it"s "good, good corn". (all edibles are "good, good")

One day I held up a whole corn cob and asked what it was. He had never seen a whole cob before.

He answered: Good, good cornana.

Think about it.

I can totally see this happening based on my own experiences with parrots. I remember the first thanksgiving after getting my macaw (Taz). My mom was roasting a turkey and had took it out of the oven and put it on the stove. Taz kept looking at the turkey and then at me and finally asked the question "Bad bird?" and I had to tell him that we eat some kinds of birds and that it was food. It took a little work, but after tasting it he quickly became a happy willing canible.
28-09-2012, 02:48 AM
(27-09-2012 11:13 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 04:18 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I understand that it is the similarity between us and apes that makes it interesting, but we have much in common with birds in the way that our brains work that apes don't have.

Can you give an example of these similar brain functions?

Here is one example. This video actually places finches into an mri machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRz7Xwi1ypU

Here is one showing a crow making a tool to get food. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idb7jTnloFc

This one is a speach on tedtalks about crows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXQAgzfwuNQ

Here is Irene Pepperberg talking about Alex. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rXKjXgr60

Last one here is a whole video series about different types of birds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJ8ogs3ad8
28-09-2012, 02:46 PM
(28-09-2012 02:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(27-09-2012 11:13 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Can you give an example of these similar brain functions?

Here is one example. [...]

Thanks for the links. I've seen the YouTube video about Alex before. It is very interesting. I'm keen to watch the crow video. I've read about their intelligence and tool use in the past. I recently purchased a book that others might be interested in called Animal Tool Behavior: The Use and Manufacture of Tools by Animals (2011). It details all of the various kinds of tools used by everything from insects and octopi to birds and primates. It's a tad bit expensive (especially for a book I bought for personal use), but I managed to find a decently priced used copy.
29-09-2012, 12:14 PM
(28-09-2012 02:46 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(28-09-2012 02:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Here is one example. [...]

Thanks for the links. I've seen the YouTube video about Alex before. It is very interesting. I'm keen to watch the crow video. I've read about their intelligence and tool use in the past. I recently purchased a book that others might be interested in called Animal Tool Behavior: The Use and Manufacture of Tools by Animals (2011). It details all of the various kinds of tools used by everything from insects and octopi to birds and primates. It's a tad bit expensive (especially for a book I bought for personal use), but I managed to find a decently priced used copy.

I will see if I can get a copy from the library.
30-09-2012, 11:16 AM
(29-09-2012 12:14 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I will see if I can get a copy from the library.

I highly recommend it.

I found a picture in the book that I thought the ladies here might like to see. It is a female orangutan with a piece of cloth draped over her head. They apparently drape themselves with things as an adornment. Isn't she just the prettiest little thing?

[Image: scan0017k.jpg]

Another funny thing I just saw while flipping through it is that Macaques in Japan will yank out a piece of human hair so that they can use it to floss their teeth.