China Engineering Genius Babies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2013, 07:24 PM
RE: China Engineering Genius Babies
Before that happens, the Singularity will occur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-04-2013, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 07:35 PM by DeepThought.)
(14-04-2013 08:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 07:26 AM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Eugenics is no news for China or for the world. Thanks to prenatal tests, which is kind of a routine process for mother-to-be's, birth defects have been reduced. Since people are able to avoid the worst case scenario, with the help of bio-chips, there's no wonder that the best case scenario is avidly wanted, which is within our reach and has been done in small scales all around the world.

So, since it's no news and nothing horrible, its impact on the society is quite limited. And I agree that the CPC has never really sought global domination and that the Chinese want their rightful place among all peoples around the globe. Not the central culture, but one of the major cultures of humanity, and never again a culture which was enslaved by a handful of colonists who set up some cannons on the coast and ended up with the right to sell opium freely.

Engineering genius babies? Sounds like luxury to me.

And about the film Gattaca of 1997, I think the theme was "the soul is not determined by genes". I don't agree because there's no soul and people very probably will behave differently if their genes are different. But I do think that what we know think is best may not turn out to be as good in the end. The same for the worst. And I believe we are still at least a hundred years away from what was in Gattaca. I won't worry about it, just like I won't worry about Sky Net. By the time we reach that level, we will have been very different in thinking and doing.

There is of course the problem with certain traits being tied to others. High IQ is generally tied to poor eyesight (instances of near sightedness run a very strong parallel to higher IQ scores) which could mean that they would be trading High IQ scores for near blindness. Granted Laser eye surgery could be used to fix the eyes but if it is a continuing trend how long until the weak eyes become non-functioning?

This is the problem with genetics it seems like traits are not singular but part of a grouping and not all of the group is good or bad. So I wouldn't be too worried about Chinese Super kids just yet.

While allot of traits may be shared by genes it doesn't stop progress. China has a large population. There are lots of intelligent people without eye problems so this could also become part of the selection criteria. I don't think the Chinese researchers are short sighted (no pun intended.)

The model they use for selection will continually evolve as they discover new genes and ways to select for intelligence.

This is accelerated evolution, and it's about fucking time humanity stopped piss farting around and started doing something.

Kudos to the Chinese for that. They will probably have the first advanced stem cell treatments available too. Their government doesn't cripple research in these areas and are able to rapidly adopt the technology.

Our governments are too slow and tied down by petty squabbling to get anything done. All the red tape bullshit. We will get left behind.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
14-04-2013, 08:31 PM
(14-04-2013 07:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Before that happens, the Singularity will occur.

No guarantee this will happen in our lifetimes. It depends on too many things.

Boosting the intelligence of our offspring is something that can be done with todays technology.

14-04-2013, 08:39 PM
(14-04-2013 07:31 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 08:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There is of course the problem with certain traits being tied to others. High IQ is generally tied to poor eyesight (instances of near sightedness run a very strong parallel to higher IQ scores) which could mean that they would be trading High IQ scores for near blindness. Granted Laser eye surgery could be used to fix the eyes but if it is a continuing trend how long until the weak eyes become non-functioning?

This is the problem with genetics it seems like traits are not singular but part of a grouping and not all of the group is good or bad. So I wouldn't be too worried about Chinese Super kids just yet.

While allot of traits may be shared by genes it doesn't stop progress. China has a large population. There are lots of intelligent people without eye problems so this could also become part of the selection criteria. I don't think the Chinese researchers are short sighted (no pun intended.)

The model they use for selection will continually evolve as they discover new genes and ways to select for intelligence.

This is accelerated evolution, and it's about fucking time humanity stopped piss farting around and started doing something.

Kudos to the Chinese for that. They will probably have the first advanced stem cell treatments available too. Their government doesn't cripple research in these areas and are able to rapidly adopt the technology.

Our governments are too slow and tied down by petty squabbling to get anything done. All the red tape bullshit. We will get left behind.

I'm with you I would love to see this done. I was just pointing out a basic problem to show that the somewhat inflammatory article was a little less than accurate in it's presentation. If enough funding was pushed towards genetic research imagine what we could do and if China invests in it then they will reap the benefits first. But to me the article had a propaganda feel to it. Beware the other, the boogey man, the red chinese menace.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-04-2013, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 09:07 PM by DeepThought.)
(14-04-2013 08:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 07:31 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  While allot of traits may be shared by genes it doesn't stop progress. China has a large population. There are lots of intelligent people without eye problems so this could also become part of the selection criteria. I don't think the Chinese researchers are short sighted (no pun intended.)

I'm with you I would love to see this done. I was just pointing out a basic problem to show that the somewhat inflammatory article was a little less than accurate in it's presentation. If enough funding was pushed towards genetic research imagine what we could do and if China invests in it then they will reap the benefits first. But to me the article had a propaganda feel to it. Beware the other, the boogey man, the red chinese menace.

lol, thing is, basis for this technology already exists. We even have what is needed to enable cheap mass production of the genetic testing chips.

Technologically we are already there. I do believe our governments are weighed down by red tape, etc. One of the problems is the rate of change is increasing. Our current system isn't able to keep up with the pace of change. Look at the incompetent American FDA or the Australian version of the shit... The TGA. They are at capacity and aren't able to keep up with the pace of medical research. They are holding back western medicine, gumming up the works.

The article may have an agenda, but as far as I can see it seems believable. If I ever decided to have kids I think I'd want to utilise this genetic screening process. It would rule out allot of genetic defects while improving intelligence.

My agenda is not getting left behind.

14-04-2013, 09:20 PM
(14-04-2013 08:31 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 07:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Before that happens, the Singularity will occur.

Boosting the intelligence of our offspring is something that can be done with todays technology.

Unfortunately, too many parents missed that memo. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 09:21 PM
(14-04-2013 08:31 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  

Not really. Human knowledge doubles every ten years now. It's gone parabolic.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
14-04-2013, 09:45 PM
It takes more that intelligence and knowledge alone to drive the singularity. So I think we should use every angle we have available to improve intelligence. I don't want to place all my eggs in one "Rapture of the Nerds" basket.

Lets use everything we have available to us, just in case.

14-04-2013, 09:53 PM
This sounds pretty positive, but I would think creating intelligence is like creating a perfect soup. The ingredients would have to be played with a bit. Leave an ingredient out and something could go wrong, maybe. I really hope that the intention behind this is for a greater good, such as global well being, equality and stability. I'd be all for that. In the wrong hands, though, I could see this going down a dark path.

Isn't this in a sense a part of singularity? I am hopeful singularity would happen in my life, or something close. I think how medical technology advances will be a tell tale sign of how close we really are, and this is a part of technology, a result.
14-04-2013, 11:55 PM
I guess the suicide rate isn't high enough for them?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user