China Engineering Genius Babies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 01:58 AM
RE: China Engineering Genius Babies
(14-04-2013 11:55 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I guess the suicide rate isn't high enough for them?

Suicide rate is higher but not by a huge amount like you seem to think for some reason...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 07:30 AM
(15-04-2013 01:58 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(14-04-2013 11:55 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I guess the suicide rate isn't high enough for them?

Suicide rate is higher but not by a huge amount like you seem to think for some reason...

I guess that depends on your benchmark. I think China's suicide rate is somewhere around seventh in the world, with 170 odd countries. So compared with the country with the lowest rate... that's pretty high, no?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 07:46 AM
(15-04-2013 07:30 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:58 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Suicide rate is higher but not by a huge amount like you seem to think for some reason...

I guess that depends on your benchmark. I think China's suicide rate is somewhere around seventh in the world, with 170 odd countries. So compared with the country with the lowest rate... that's pretty high, no?

Suicide is actually pretty low.. It's talking per 100,000 people, also it's complex and linked to cultural attitudes and other things.

Some of the countries at the lowest end are not believable. Egypt is right at the bottom with one of the lowest rates. Leads me to believe it's not recorded accurately in those countries. Especially since Egypt is a poor muslim country and it's at the bottom (do suicide bombings count?). India claims to have the same suicide rate as Australia and I have to call bullshit on that. The conditions in some parts of India...

So.. all in all I don't trust the information. It's not reliable.

Lets not drag this thread down an irrelevant path and talk about the actual subject.
15-04-2013, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2013 08:11 AM by Luminon.)
(14-04-2013 08:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  There is of course the problem with certain traits being tied to others. High IQ is generally tied to poor eyesight (instances of near sightedness run a very strong parallel to higher IQ scores) which could mean that they would be trading High IQ scores for near blindness. Granted Laser eye surgery could be used to fix the eyes but if it is a continuing trend how long until the weak eyes become non-functioning?

This is the problem with genetics it seems like traits are not singular but part of a grouping and not all of the group is good or bad. So I wouldn't be too worried about Chinese Super kids just yet.
You're kidding, right? I have marginally higher IQ, I am near-sighted, but does it mean anything? Let's say the higher IQ and poorer social skills causes books and computers be much more stimulating to me, so these cause the near-sightedness. It may be purely self-induced. Smartass
By the way, around 40's or so, as the retina or lens tissue gets older, it bends the other way. Mere mortals get far-sighted, my eyesight should get even. Wink

I would be much, much more concerned about breeding introverted, autistic traits that are obviously prolific among the high IQ population. Albeit in China less families and smaller families are something desirable, that might perhaps increase the low functioning autism numbers too, which is a frequent problem in Silicon Valley families, if I remember some of the articles. Drinking Beverage

I might be also worried about other intelligences. IQ isn't everything, it's computation. There is emotional intelligence too and it is much more important for relationships, quality of life, social cohesion, day to day functioning, planning and goal achieving, and so on. I think China should also select genetic material among Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders.
15-04-2013, 08:25 AM
(15-04-2013 07:46 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:30 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I guess that depends on your benchmark. I think China's suicide rate is somewhere around seventh in the world, with 170 odd countries. So compared with the country with the lowest rate... that's pretty high, no?

Suicide is actually pretty low.. It's talking per 100,000 people, also it's complex and linked to cultural attitudes and other things.

Some of the countries at the lowest end are not believable. Egypt is right at the bottom with one of the lowest rates. Leads me to believe it's not recorded accurately in those countries. Especially since Egypt is a poor muslim country and it's at the bottom (do suicide bombings count?). India claims to have the same suicide rate as Australia and I have to call bullshit on that. The conditions in some parts of India...

So.. all in all I don't trust the information. It's not reliable.

Lets not drag this thread down an irrelevant path and talk about the actual subject.

I don't disagree that the rates reported by those countries are inaccurate. And I'd argue the same for China. Asia writ large is well known for high rates of suicide and if you look at their child rearing practices, it's understandable. The "Tiger Mom" form of child rearing produces high achievers but the side effect is severe depression, anxiety and other mental injuries. A lot of people who suffer these problems don't commit suicide but the affects are none the less destructive.

And yeah, it's quite relevant to the topic. Higher intelligence equates to people who don't respond well to brutal authority, so if China manages to genetically engineer higher intelligence children and they don't change their child rearing practices, the suicide rate will skyrocket.

Each generation of kids is about 25% smarter than their parents to begin with, so why not improve how they're raised to take advantage of what's already there rather than creating Frankensteins? We're talking about human beings, not robots.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user