fascist ideology!
religioun of piece(s).
[Show Results]

China: Islam is a dangerous political movement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: China: Islam is a dangerous political movement
Cherry-picking is not limited to Christianity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 01:24 PM
I often wonder why my fellow atheists defend Islam yet condemn Christianity. I get it. Christians have oppressed atheists for a long time, especially here in the U.S. They've violated the Constitution so many times, knocking down the wall of separation every chance they get.

But wake up. The "oppression" felt under Christianity in America is nothing compared to what will be if Muslims ever gain a majority. Christians merely passed laws banning gay marriage. You think a Muslim majority would be so civil? I think gays would be back in the closet.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
06-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Your fellow atheists (on this board) are not defending Islam; they are defending the view that you can't generalize about those who practice Islam, just as you can't generalize about Christians, or any other major religious group.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
06-10-2015, 01:55 PM
(06-10-2015 01:24 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I often wonder why my fellow atheists defend Islam yet condemn Christianity. I get it.

If you get it, you're not wondering.

Notwithstanding you're clearly not talking about this thread. So, where do you get that impression?

(06-10-2015 01:24 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  But wake up. The "oppression" felt under Christianity in America is nothing compared to what will be if Muslims ever gain a majority. Christians merely passed laws banning gay marriage. You think a Muslim majority would be so civil? I think gays would be back in the closet.

Of course. Everyone knows those people are all the same anyway.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
07-10-2015, 07:20 AM
(06-10-2015 06:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There are about 1.6 billion muslims in the world, yet there's nothing equivalent to the vatican, some organized hierarchy, no established orthodoxy, no dictates on how the Quran is to be interpreted and read, etc....

So there's no "basically Islam", no broad brush to paint a population of over a billion with. Muslims in American are likely to be of an entirely different sort than the ones that occupy Europe. Two randomly selected atheists are likely to have more in common, than two randomly selected muslims.

You could say the same about Christianity. Sure, there's a pope that... well under half of the religion recognize as having any sort of authority. Isn't there something like over a thousand different sects? I can personally find you two people who nominally identify as Christian that will give you completely opposite interpretations of the Bible's stance on homosexuality. Hell, not even all Christians acknowledge the Bible as the word of God, let alone interpret it the same way.

I mean, yes, I agree with your stance that you can't paint all Muslims with a single brush and get any kind of coherent picture about the religion, but that's not unique to Islam.
07-10-2015, 07:38 AM
(07-10-2015 07:20 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 06:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  There are about 1.6 billion muslims in the world, yet there's nothing equivalent to the vatican, some organized hierarchy, no established orthodoxy, no dictates on how the Quran is to be interpreted and read, etc....

So there's no "basically Islam", no broad brush to paint a population of over a billion with. Muslims in American are likely to be of an entirely different sort than the ones that occupy Europe. Two randomly selected atheists are likely to have more in common, than two randomly selected muslims.

You could say the same about Christianity. Sure, there's a pope that... well under half of the religion recognize as having any sort of authority. Isn't there something like over a thousand different sects? I can personally find you two people who nominally identify as Christian that will give you completely opposite interpretations of the Bible's stance on homosexuality. Hell, not even all Christians acknowledge the Bible as the word of God, let alone interpret it the same way.

I mean, yes, I agree with your stance that you can't paint all Muslims with a single brush and get any kind of coherent picture about the religion, but that's not unique to Islam.

It's not unique to islam, it could be said of any major religion with such a huge number of adherents, and no centralized governing body, and more importantly a transnational presence.

You'll likely find more homogeny among two randomly selected atheists, than any two randomly selected christians, or muslims.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."