China beginning to distance itself from North Korea?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
China beginning to distance itself from North Korea?
http://behindthewall.nbcnews.com/_news/2...snhp&pos=3

Is this the first steps towards a chinese response to the repeated threats and hostile actions of the North Koreans?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 07:57 PM
RE: China beginning to distance itself from North Korea?
They aren't happy about it. China joined the rest of the UN in condemning N. Korea for its nuclear test and other aggressive behaviors, and calls for stronger sanctions against N. Korea. China has also told N. Korea directly that they are being too belligerent and that they need to back off, lest they inadvertently restart hostilities with S. Korea and the US.

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Yay, more NK threads..

Of course China is going to side with the rest of world against NK.. China is trading with the rest of world, their power and wealth is increasing and they know that cooperation will achieve much greater reward for themselves, then fighting will.
North Korea is stuck in pre-ww2 politically, I don't think they realize the effects of globalization on the world.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
11-04-2013, 08:24 PM
(11-04-2013 08:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yay, more NK threads..

Of course China is going to side with the rest of world against NK.. China is trading with the rest of world, their power and wealth is increasing and they know that cooperation will achieve much greater reward for themselves, then fighting will.
North Korea is stuck in pre-ww2 politically, I don't think they realize the effects of globalization on the world.

The other ones were all bogged down in calling I&I an idiot. As to the mentality I think they are stuck in the cold war rather than pre-ww2. That time had a nice Us vs Them when everyone lined up on one side or the other. Now it is more of a huge tangle.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-04-2013, 09:09 PM
(11-04-2013 08:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yay, more NK threads..

The other ones were all bogged down in calling I&I an idiot. As to the mentality I think they are stuck in the cold war rather than pre-ww2. That time had a nice Us vs Them when everyone lined up on one side or the other. Now it is more of a huge tangle.

Not what I meant.
pre-ww2 nationalism was very strong. Countries were much more self reliant etc..
War between major powers was viable because a countries power came from the territory it owned. If a country had good territory it could produce/manufacture/grow better things increasing it's wealth and thus power.

Today, because of globalization, countries can specialize, outsource etc.. etc.. and the whole thing has become much more efficient.

So China, back in the day (Republic of China back then before it became the People's Republic of China in 49'), would have been self reliant. Power came from gaining new territory, expanding the army, expanding the manufactoring/agriculture whatever the economy was comprised of back then and progress would have been overall very slow.

Once China started trading with the world it was able to exploit one of its greatest resources, cheap labor, which meant foreign money was flooding into China via China selling its goods or foreign investment in China itself (factories and such).
As such, China was able to rapidly increase its economy and thus power (because a better economy means better equipped, trained and bigger army). Thus the need for boarder expansion is nullified.
Same with the West.

North Korea is then stuck pre-ww2 because it doesn't trade with the rest of world. It's very isolated and self reliant and so its economical growth is very slow. And nationalism is very high.
One only needs to compare the economies of NK to SK to see the difference world trade makes on a country.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
11-04-2013, 09:18 PM
[Image: 49603d1320806328-see-whats-new-inspectio...-korea.jpg]

That image alone kind of puts the whole North Korea thing in context.

[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-04-2013, 03:57 AM
North Korea has been distancing itself from China since the new leadership.

Many of us Chinese used to treat the relationship between the two countries as "a friendship forged by the crystallization of the blood spilled together".

Yet in the 1960's North Korea rewrote their war history records, owing success to their great leader and not so much about the Chinese blood. Also North Korea consider distancing from China as a sign of independence.

So now for China, the best way is to take the initiative to facilitate North Korea's reunification with South Korea, according to a Chinese scholar.

Want something? Then do something.
12-04-2013, 04:12 AM
Junyuan,
Do you think the Chinese leadership would accept a reunification under South Korean terms, or would they press for the North to join China itself?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-04-2013, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013 04:37 AM by HU.Junyuan.)
I think they would accept the concept, but not exactly under the terms South Korea wants.

And about the idea of annexing North Korea? No, thanks. I would rather seriously think about how to build a suspension bridge across the Pacific Ocean, from China directly to the States.

Now, let's look at the designs first ...

[Image: 48230588.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post
12-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Is that the Oresund bridge by chance?

Why do you say NK is distancing itself from China? I certainly understand China distancing itself from NK, and we see that by statements from the Chinese government. BUT NK distancing itself from China seems to make little sense.
I would think NK would like to remain friendly with China, it's certainly in their best interest.

Quote:Do you think the Chinese leadership would accept a reunification under South Korean terms, or would they press for the North to join China itself?

IMO, it doesn't matter what the Chinese want, a better question is, would the NK people accept reunification under South Korean terms?

A unified Korea would be an economic powerhouse. I would think China would support that, especially considering it's proximity to China. A reunified Korea would make an excellent trade partner.