China moving toward dictatorship?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2018, 08:03 AM
China moving toward dictatorship?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/25/china-pr...klash.html

"The ruling Communist Party on Sunday proposed to remove a constitutional clause limiting presidential service to just two terms in office, meaning Xi, who also heads the party and the
military, might never have to retire.

The proposal, which will be passed by delegates loyal to the party at next month's annual meeting of China's largely rubber stamp parliament, is part of a package of amendments to the
country's constitution.

It will also add Xi's political thought to the constitution, already added to the party constitution last year, and set a legal framework for a super anti-corruption super body, as well as more broadly strengthen the party's tight grip on power."

Don't forget that they track and monitor citizens:

https://www.theatlantic.com/internationa...ce/552203/

"Imagine a society in which you are rated by the government on your trustworthiness. Your “citizen score” follows you wherever you go. A high score allows you access to faster internet service or a fast-tracked visa to Europe. If you make political posts online without a permit, or question or contradict the government’s official narrative on current events, however, your score decreases. To calculate the score, private companies working with your government constantly trawl through vast amounts of your social media and online shopping data."

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2018, 08:10 AM
RE: China moving toward dictatorship?
China already isn't free so I don't know how much of an impact such move will have. It may look bad from our perspective but how much this will change for ordinary Chinese?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2018, 08:12 AM
I think we are looking at an already bad situation getting exponentially worse.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
26-02-2018, 08:18 AM
(26-02-2018 08:12 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I think we are looking at an already bad situation getting exponentially worse.

It's possible. I don't know though - I had read on Mao China but that's hardly relevant in regard to this. As I said before - it might sound bad to us, but Chinese may don't much care.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2018, 08:23 AM
It can only get worse.
Never better. At least not without bloodshed.
There are no mechanism available to make it happen "within the system".
Once the government or "powers that be" control the levers of power it's all over.
Any movement to erode at their power will be squashed.
If the people don't have adequate powers it's over.

I don't have to imagine it.
We are headed that way.

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
26-02-2018, 09:14 AM
It could make things worse for the average Chinese citizen. It could also end up stoking anger against the regime. "Dictator-for-life" is a title that gets old quickly among the masses.

(26-02-2018 08:23 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  It can only get worse.
Once the government or "powers that be" control the levers of power it's all over.

You might be surprised. Having lived through the revolution that overthrew the Shah in 1978, I witnessed the power of people to overcome a military that had no compunctions about unleashing force upon them.
26-02-2018, 09:34 AM

We are headed that way.

The Velvet Revolution (Czech: sametová revoluce) or Gentle Revolution (Slovak: nežná revolúcia) was a non-violent transition of power in what was then Czechoslovakia, occurring from 17 November to 29 December 1989. Popular demonstrations against the one-party government of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia combined students and older dissidents. The result was the end of 41 years of one-party rule in Czechoslovakia, and the subsequent dismantling of the planned economy and conversion to a parliamentary republic.

[bolding mine]

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
26-02-2018, 09:37 AM
(26-02-2018 09:14 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It could make things worse for the average Chinese citizen. It could also end up stoking anger against the regime. "Dictator-for-life" is a title that gets old quickly among the masses.

You might be surprised. Having lived through the revolution that overthrew the Shah in 1978, I witnessed the power of people to overcome a military that had no compunctions about unleashing force upon them.

(26-02-2018 09:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  

We are headed that way.

The Velvet Revolution (Czech: sametová revoluce) or Gentle Revolution (Slovak: nežná revolúcia) was a non-violent transition of power in what was then Czechoslovakia, occurring from 17 November to 29 December 1989. Popular demonstrations against the one-party government of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia combined students and older dissidents. The result was the end of 41 years of one-party rule in Czechoslovakia, and the subsequent dismantling of the planned economy and conversion to a parliamentary republic.

[bolding mine]

Would I be wrong to assume that the falling of the USSR played a significant role?
And then Glasnost?

Was it a revolution as much as a change of government?
Like the USSR?

[Image: barfly_condenados_pelo_vicio.gif]
26-02-2018, 09:50 AM
(26-02-2018 09:37 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Would I be wrong to assume that the falling of the USSR played a significant role?
And then Glasnost?

You would be wrong to assume that asking additional questions will matter when preceded by such definitive statement like one you made: It can only get worse.
It can get better without bloodshed.

To answer your question - if USSR wouldn't already be falling then there would be no revolution I suppose.

Quote:Was it a revolution as much as a change of government?
Like the USSR?

One can speak about change of government today when Obama was replaced by Trump. During Velvet Revolution entire system was changed from people democracy to democracy. But it's all in Wiki.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-02-2018, 09:56 AM
"Moving towards"? Don't they have laws against free speech over there? Also doesn't their "communist" party control everything?