Chinese translation of "Christmas"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Chinese translation of "Christmas"
In Chinese, the word "Christmas" is translated as "聖誕" or "耶誕", which is exactly "Birth of holy one" or "Birth of Jesus".
And basically nobody in my country care about this since almost everyone believe this Christian shit (Many people think "Western culture = Christian culture").
As an Taiwanese atheist, I have to say Christian kidnapped this idea successfully in Chinese world.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: Chinese translation of "Christmas"
I concur.

[just checking... you said "since almost everyone believe this Christian shit " but I think you meant "since almost everyone believes this to be only Christian shit]

Last christmas / new year I was in Vietnam. This year Sing/Malaysia.

It's great. Christmas is quite miss-able.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
24-12-2012, 06:06 PM
(24-12-2012 05:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I concur.

[just checking... you said "since almost everyone believe this Christian shit " but I think you meant "since almost everyone believes this to be only Christian shit]

YES! Thank you so much for correcting me.
I have serious grammar issue.

- Oscar Wilde
24-12-2012, 07:48 PM
(24-12-2012 06:06 PM)Jedah Wrote:  ...
I have serious grammar issue.

Well, me too, I guess. Many issues with grammar and the use of it.

Stick around until at the next CNY. We can give each other a big Asian hug.

Smile

24-12-2012, 11:28 PM
(24-12-2012 05:12 PM)Jedah Wrote:  In Chinese, the word "Christmas" is translated as "聖誕" or "耶誕", which is exactly "Birth of holy one" or "Birth of Jesus".
And basically nobody in my country care about this since almost everyone believe this Christian shit (Many people think "Western culture = Christian culture").
As an Taiwanese atheist, I have to say Christian kidnapped this idea successfully in Chinese world.

Hehe, jidu tu ben hundan. Ni shi zai Taiwan ma? Wo shu zai Taipei, weiqi liang ge yue

Don't know if you read Pinyin, lot of Taiwanese don't, but I can't do Chinese characters. I can do Pinyin with a little dictionary help now and then Wink

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
25-12-2012, 01:06 AM
(24-12-2012 11:28 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(24-12-2012 05:12 PM)Jedah Wrote:  In Chinese, the word "Christmas" is translated as "聖誕" or "耶誕", which is exactly "Birth of holy one" or "Birth of Jesus".

Hehe, jidu tu ben hundan. Ni shi zai Taiwan ma? Wo shu zai Taipei, weiqi liang ge yue

Don't know if you read Pinyin, lot of Taiwanese don't, but I can't do Chinese characters. I can do Pinyin with a little dictionary help now and then Wink

Well, since I am a Chinese teacher, pinyin is one of my profession. Tongue
However, it's a little bit hard to identify without tone indicator. You know the 4 tones in Chinese right?
Taipei is probably the best city in Taiwan. Too bad I am not there now. I work in Canada and prepare my immigration plan.

- Oscar Wilde
25-12-2012, 01:44 AM
I know the four tones, I just don't know how to make them quickly on a keyboard. Tongue I'm still learning; I learned maybe 200 words of Mandarin and 20 words of Taiwanese while I lived there for two months... And recently have started learning again with Rosetta Stone. Frustrating program, in some ways, but I am learning.

It's funny, you're Taiwanese and in Canada, one of my best friends is Canadian and in Taiwan. Tongue

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.