Chip enabled credit cards

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 11:41 AM
RE: Chip enabled credit cards
I've had a card with a chip from my German bank for years. I also have a little gadget - I insert the card in the gadget, let the gadget read an electronic message on my bank screen, and then the gadget gives me a new pin to access my account. You need both the card and the gadget to access my funds. Knowing my card number gets you no place. Sooo much safer.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2015, 01:20 PM
(13-05-2015 11:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  I've had a card with a chip from my German bank for years. I also have a little gadget - I insert the card in the gadget, let the gadget read an electronic message on my bank screen, and then the gadget gives me a new pin to access my account. You need both the card and the gadget to access my funds. Knowing my card number gets you no place. Sooo much safer.

So your pin number always changes? Oh fuck..I'd never remember it.

If I needed to special gadget to find a secret ever changing pin number than the fucker will sit in a drawer. I'd rather just carry cash -- which is probably better for my overall budget anyway.

It also provides zero added protection from online purchases.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

13-05-2015, 04:36 PM
(13-05-2015 08:54 AM)Dom Wrote:  What's a PayWave?

You just wave your card past the machine and it processes the sale (scares the shit out of you if you don't know you have it and you go to put your card into the machine and it comes up "accepted" before you have a chance to put in your pin/account). It's optional and you can set the amount of money it works for. ie: not work on transactions over $20 (what I have mine at). So you'd need to use your pin for transactions over $20.

(13-05-2015 10:42 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 09:54 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  There are a few stores here that I could use my iPhone to pay...but I really don't understand enough of how it works and how safe it is so I'll admit I don't brother.

same here. And the fact that I let my 9 year old play games on my phone at times, I don't want her having any access to anything that even hints at having access to my funds. Gasp I would be broke but have a kick ass garden on some farming type game.

Assumingly it's like internet banking where you have to log in.
I'd be concerned if your 9 year old could log onto your internet banking.

[Image: oscar.png]
13-05-2015, 04:55 PM
(13-05-2015 11:29 AM)yakherder Wrote:  When I went to the store this morning I traded two buckets of goat milk and some dried dandelions to make tea with for a bag of cat litter a dozen eggs and a chunk of ice for the freezer box.

What is this currency bullshit I keep hearing about?

Oh and the reason I'm not married to my girlfriend is because her father turned down my offer of 4 camels and a mule. One day I hope to get one of these... chips you speak of so I can have many camels and many wives.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-05-2015, 05:54 PM
(13-05-2015 09:28 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Huh What do you do with the chip?

Salsa.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-05-2015, 07:25 PM
(13-05-2015 01:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 11:41 AM)Dom Wrote:  I've had a card with a chip from my German bank for years. I also have a little gadget - I insert the card in the gadget, let the gadget read an electronic message on my bank screen, and then the gadget gives me a new pin to access my account. You need both the card and the gadget to access my funds. Knowing my card number gets you no place. Sooo much safer.

So your pin number always changes? Oh fuck..I'd never remember it.

If I needed to special gadget to find a secret ever changing pin number than the fucker will sit in a drawer. I'd rather just carry cash -- which is probably better for my overall budget anyway.

You don't have to. The chip generates it, and either you are in a store and the machine reads it there, or you have a gadget you put the card into at home and it gives you one, displayed, so you can copy it. You never need to remember one again.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-05-2015, 07:46 PM
(13-05-2015 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 01:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So your pin number always changes? Oh fuck..I'd never remember it.

You don't have to. The chip generates it, and either you are in a store and the machine reads it there, or you have a gadget you put the card into at home and it gives you one, displayed, so you can copy it. You never need to remember one again.

So I have to go home between purchases to learn the new pin number?

So the machine in the store knows it's me?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-05-2015, 04:21 AM
(13-05-2015 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 07:25 PM)Dom Wrote:  You don't have to. The chip generates it, and either you are in a store and the machine reads it there, or you have a gadget you put the card into at home and it gives you one, displayed, so you can copy it. You never need to remember one again.

So I have to go home between purchases to learn the new pin number?

Aaaaaaagh! Facepalm

PIN not pin number. Weeping

Personal Identification Number. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-05-2015, 04:39 AM
(14-05-2015 04:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 07:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So I have to go home between purchases to learn the new pin number?

Aaaaaaagh! Facepalm

You know, there is a small part of me which wishes I didn't have to put in my PIN number at the ATM machine every time I needed to withdraw cash money...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-05-2015, 05:11 AM
(14-05-2015 04:39 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 04:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  Aaaaaaagh! Facepalm

You know, there is a small part of me which wishes I didn't have to put in my PIN number at the ATM machine every time I needed to withdraw cash money...

Just be thankful you're not looking at the LCD display in the DMZ zone while infected with the HIV virus at 6:00 A.M. in the morning. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post