Chiropractors and spine adjustments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2013, 07:46 PM
RE: Chiropractors and spine adjustments
The whole science of Chiropractic medicine is that there is no science. With luck (and hopefully skill) lower back pain might be improved by certain manipulation as it often is caused by mal-alignment; but for the rest of the spine and the body it is just voodoo, and potentially very harmful.

Chiropractic medicine can be harmful by wasting your money, causing injury, or by delaying diagnosis.

e.g. the fellow who had a stroke on the spot while his neck was being manipulated. Or the lady who was going to a chiropractor for shoulder pain that was caused by metastatic cancer.

Roll the clock back 250 years and Chiropractic medicine was just as good as conventional medicine. They just don't know when to quit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Hey, Zatoichi was a bone-setter/masseur...

[Image: ZatoichiTheOutlaw_02.jpg]

I think chiropractic is great for setting you straight, but to cure you of everything? I didn't even know that shit until I saw this thread. I thought they were suppose to just set your spine and that's it, you should feel a bit better, just like after any other type of massage...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-09-2013, 10:58 AM
As a totally unbiased md (lol) I'd have to agree its woo. Many people report short term pain relief but I am unaware of evidence of longterm benefit. Rarely someone is paralyzed by a neck manipulation but the incidence is probably lower than that of deaths from prescribed medications. It really scares me when young children are taken for neck manipulation and it annoys me that so much effort is made to dissuade people from immunizing their children when this does have proven benefit.
[+] 3 users Like sandman's post
25-09-2013, 01:11 PM
I've found it helpful for my upper back, neck and my knee. I am treated by "regular" doctors as well as a physical therapist. Chiropractic is just one component of care I receive for fibromyalgia and arthritis. I didn't think it would help (I was told they just make things worse) but it did, so I continue to go.
25-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure I posted a response in this topic.
Deleted?
WTF admins! At least pm me with a warning or something!

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
29-09-2013, 05:19 PM
http://m.smh.com.au/national/health/call...2ul6e.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2013, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2013 06:44 PM by Anjele.)
My paternal grandmother was all about the chiropractor. She was having some pain here and there and from time to time was hearing something that sounded like it was snapping when she reached up to comb her hair and do other things. Of course she bought into the town's chiropractor's claims and went for adjustments. Things kept snapping while being adjusted and finally the pain was too much and she sought out real medicine. She had bone cancer and was gone a few months later as it went on too long undiagnosed. The 'doctor' claimed the noises and pain were to be expected.

An older neighbor of ours when I was growing up also bought into the same chiropractor's spiel. She weighed entirely too much and the stress of all that weight was contributing to the deterioration of her knees, ankles, and hips. I am sure there were other issues like high BP. Not once did he suggest a healthier lifestyle and some weight loss. He even came to her house frequently with his little machines and to adjust her neck. After adjusting her neck one day, she died within about an hour.

Said chiropractor quickly packed up his family, closed his office, and moved to South America somewhere. Never did find out how many other elderly people he 'helped' but he sure helped himself to their money.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
29-09-2013, 06:19 PM
(29-09-2013 05:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My paternal grandmother was all about the chiropractor. She was having some pain here and there and from time was hearing something that sounded like it was snapping when she reached up to comb her hair and do other things. Of course she bought into the town's chiropractor's claims and went for adjustments. Things kept snapping while being adjusted and finally the pain was too much and she sought out real medicine. She had bone cancer and was gone a few months later as it went on too long undiagnosed. The 'doctor' claimed the noises and pain were to be expected.

An older neighbor of ours when I was growing up also bought into the same chiropractor's spiel. She weighed entirely too much and the stress of all that weight was contributing to the deterioration of her knees, ankles, and hips. I am sure there were other issues like high BP. Not once did he suggest a healthier lifestyle and some weight loss. He even came to her house frequently with his little machines and to adjust her neck. After adjusting her neck one day, she died within about an hour.

Said chiropractor quickly packed up his family, closed his office, and moved to South America somewhere. Never did find out how many other elderly people he 'helped' but he sure helped himself to their money.

Wow! That's Censored up!!!
29-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I listen to Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast, they once made mention that chiropractors can help relieve mild lower back pain, but hat everything else they claim is in fact pure bullshit. I would also assume that means it could be accomplished in one session (or at least very few), definitely not 12 years worth. That's all I know on the subject ough, and definitely not claiming any of this is fact since I haven't ever been to a chiropractor myself. Still too skeptical.
29-09-2013, 08:30 PM
What the fuckin' 'ell is "woo"?

What ever happened to good old fashioned "bollocks" and "bullshit"?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user