Chiropractors and spine adjustments

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Chiropractors and spine adjustments
I'm not sure if this should be in the health forum but I'm posting it in the skepticism and pseudoscience category because I'm skeptical and , well, I think it's pseudoscience. My brother is constantly going to chiropractors to get his spine adjusted. He's been going for 12 years. If he went to a "regular" doctor for 12 years and had to keep going back most people who are against Western Medicine would be throwing a hissy fit. But somehow Chiropractors get a free pass. People just keep going back to Chiropractors and don't think a thing of it.

My view on adjustments of the spine is this: If spines could be so easily adjusted then football players would walk off the field after a game with their backs all zig-zaggy. Their whole bodies would be going in all directions from all the hits they take. I'm not saying they aren't hurtin' but their spines are still in alignment.

I can't find the source but doctors took x-rays of spines before and after chiropractors "adjustments" and there was zero difference.

But there is one good way to realign the spine. Fall off a horse at just the wrong angle. Just ask Christopher Reeve. Well, he's dead now but go ask anyone who has a spinal cord injury.

My feeling is to get a good massage from someone qualified and call it a day. Save some money too.

Here's some history of chiropractors.

http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-09-2013, 10:08 PM
RE: Chiropractors and spine adjustments
Yep, it's hokum! Sleepy
10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
(09-09-2013 10:08 PM)aurora Wrote:  Yep, it's hokum! Sleepy

The hokum is one of the hardest things to explain to people who go to chiropractors. I've had friends jump all over me for criticizing these quacks. It's even covered by some insurance and I've had regular medical doctors recommend chiropractors. It's mainstream medicine these days. But jesus christ, there's no proof it does anything except eat money up.

This is a great segment from the PBS series, Scientific American Frontiers with Alan Alda about chiropractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQb8FK2PM6Y

I love the knuckle cracking demonstration by the former chiropractor in the video.

Hokum is right.

"If things aren't funny anymore then they're exactly what they are and life is just one long dental appointment interrupted occasionally by something exciting like waiting or falling asleep" Jason Robards in A Thousand Clowns
10-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Spinal manipulation has been shown to relieve low back pain. But this can be done by a physical therapist (someone with actual medical training). All other health claims made by chiropractors are bunk.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]
[+] 6 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post
10-09-2013, 10:33 AM
My favorite was the coworker that went to her chiropractor a few days a week and one of the 'treatments' was a sinus massage...

Before I could bite my tongue I asked her if she realized that her sinuses were inside her skull. OY!

I went one time to see what it was all about, free (yeah right) consultation. Immediately the goal was to get me to set up as many future appointments as they could. Then came the calls about setting up those appointments.

After a small taste of the 'treatments' and the constant ka-ching sound, I was done.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
(10-09-2013 10:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My favorite was the coworker that went to her chiropractor a few days a week and one of the 'treatments' was a sinus massage...

Before I could bite my tongue I asked her if she realized that her sinuses were inside her skull. OY!

I went one time to see what it was all about, free (yeah right) consultation. Immediately the goal was to get me to set up as many future appointments as they could. Then came the calls about setting up those appointments.

After a small taste of the 'treatments' and the constant ka-ching sound, I was done.

It says so much about how much people are willing to believe something is real. I have never been able to convince anyone that chiropractors are just expensive knuckle crackers. What's wrong with people? I was on another forum once and mentioned how stupid chiropractors were and everyone jumped all over me like I was , I donno, a complete dolt.

By the way, I have sinus problems. You take a bit of salt with some water and drain things out. It's free.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I have gotten pain relief from neck/spine manipulation by a chiropractor.

The rest is pure woo.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
(10-09-2013 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have gotten pain relief from neck/spine manipulation by a chiropractor.

The rest is pure woo.

Me too. There are some manipulations I just can't make on my own.

Science is dissecting the sacred cow.[Image: smartass.gif]
11-09-2013, 03:40 AM

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-09-2013, 10:22 AM
(11-09-2013 03:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Wow. That was great. I'll send these videos to my brother who frequents quack...er chiropractors all the time.

Subluxation. What a crock of woo with some shit mixed in it.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post