Chocolate addiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Chocolate addiction
novel ahead

So I had a moment of enlightenment earlier but not in a positive way or maybe positive. I don't know.
You read the title so you get the idea but still I want to say some things.

First of all, actually just recently I wrote to a friend that I am so disappointed and so on because I eat healthy and work out now that I am in the gym and so on but still it looks bad when it comes to my weight.
I am always below, on, or above the obese/morbidly obese line. I wrote to my friend that I am disappointed in myself because I just cannot stop eating the sweets.

The weird thing is that I actually know A LOT about addiction. I quit smoking after 2 packs a day. But quitting smoking was easy. Basically it was easy because smoking was literally killing me at the point and I wanted to stay alive.
Currently eating chocolate is killing me as it gets me deeper and deeper into obesity and I feel how it impacts my health and quality of living.

My alarm bells started ringing a few weeks ago when I started eating chocolate treats secretly at home. Kinda secret anyway. Trash bag right there to get rid of the wrappers, trying not to show that I have chocolate at home.
I had this chocolate addiction, thinking back, since I was a teenager. And actually now that I started writing this down, more things become clear as I write. (Writing has always been therapeutic for me)
Anyway, I remember making a big scene, almost throwing a tantrum one Saturday when I was like 16 or so. We were shopping for the weekend, we were also dirt poor and that week we just had particularly little money. My mom somehow managed to get healthy food with the little budget so I kept bothering her if I could have some chocolate raisins. Fuck I love chocolate raisins! I had no pocket money and no job (I wanted to work but my mom wouldn't let me really). So I relied on her buying me things I wanted to have. I was not a complicated teenager and rarely wanted anything but on Saturdays I wanted chocolate raisins. And that was really it. I didn't ask for anything else. The chocolate raisins were like 80 or 90 cents but if you just don't have that money, it doesn't matter. I understood that but still I wanted them and I pretty much threw a tantrum - at 16 years old.
At some point, in my early 20s I understood that I was addicted to chocolate and stopped eating it for the most part. But I forgot about it and it started sneaking back into my life.

When I started hiding this recently, I started getting embarrassed. My husband never really took it serious when I said that you can be addicted to food and that for me it is chocolate. Anyway I will talk to him about it again and try to have him be my second brain to stop me from eating chocolate if I get weak again.
I am so reasonable about every other food. I really do eat healthy apart from the fucking chocolate. I have vegetables, I keep an eye on my fats, I eat proteins and so on. I can stay away from all sweets and snacks unless it is chocolate.

So earlier I watched this video where nurse is speaking about food addiction and how it is different for everybody and how for her it is apples but for others it might be chocolate. She explained how a normal person sees food (hunger and apetite) and how a food addicted person sees food (obsession and craving). Big eye opener honestly.

She said that with her patients she has one rule only.
"Today I won't give in" so to say to yourself that today you won't but maybe you will tomorrow, just not today. And then tomorrow you say the same thing. She says it is a good way to trick yourself and that it works.

So I wonder if anybody else has dealt with a food addiction and how did you get rid of it? Did you try this "not today" method and has it worked?

I think I want to try it and I hope it will be fine. Maybe, after moving, I will start making smoothies again. At least they are not empty calories and I really like smoothies.

Now for those who may be interested in the video I watched:

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
RE: Chocolate addiction
How I started to resist the temptation of certain foods was telling myself that I was stronger than the urge to eat it. I also used the quote "food is fuel" as a way of avoiding empty calories. If food is fuel and important for your body than why give your body shitty fuel when you can give it something better. I've been without any "junk" food for about 3 months now and I feel great!

I also found that switching foods or using healthier alternatives for ingredients is good too. For example if a baking recipe calls for sugar, use 100% stevia, if you're craving juice make a smoothie. If you're craving chocolate eat a purer version of cacao. I eat 85% cacao bars (mostly because I don't have access to 90%) when I seriously crave it. It's an acquired taste but you get used to it. Also, dark chocolate has a lot of health benefits (anti-oxidant rich, healthy fat, etc.) so you don't even need to feel guilty about it.

I'm going to requote a stereotypical response and say that elimination diets don't work for too long and the best way of making healthy, better changes is not to avoid your favorite foods but to either limit them or make them into something that works for your goals. Smile
05-04-2017, 03:31 PM
That's almost the whole battle right there. You need to identify and come to terms that this behavior exists before you can address it.
05-04-2017, 03:47 PM
In my experience, about the first month of making any big change in consumption (I apply this to buying books and magazines as well as eating chocolate) is pretty hard. It's good to have someone who can hand-hold you during this time.

After the first month something seems to shift in your brain and things go well. Then when things feel like they're under control is the most dangerous time. You have a little bite of chocolate and go for another week without, but it's at the back of your mind...you start making excuses to have another little bit, and then you somehow find yourself face first in the peanut butter cups.

There are some things that I give up that I can go back to in moderation and some that I have to stay away from permanently, and only way to know which is which is to fall off the wagon a time or two and learn to recognize the signs.
05-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Since I've been on this diet there are several classes of foods I won't be able to go back to.
06-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Day one done.

I feel like an idiot, actually being proud of not eating chocolate. Is that normal? Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
07-04-2017, 03:15 AM
Now I know I have MS I need to cut out all dairy and saturated fat. That includes meat and chocolate. I miss toast because I can't have margarine anymore. Chocolate is the hardest because I can't find an easy substitute. I have fish instead of meat, almond/rice/oat/soya milk instead of dairy milk. The best I have found for chocolate are dates. It's like eating toffee. I'm eating a lot of those. Even though I am quite inactive all day at the moment on sick leave, I am pleased to see that I am losing weight from this new diet. I only started it recently.

So you might want to try a non dairy milk instead and fish instead of meat. I'm eating lots of fish all day. Those are two easy ways to reduce saturated fat intake. Fruit smoothies also taste great and can be drunk instead of chocolate. They will give you a healthier energy boost that you have learnt to get from chocolate. I make several at one time, freeze them and defrost one before I need it. Probably better for you to buy smoothies or orange juice and drink that instead of eating chocolate. Do that when you crave chocolate, wait and then see if you still crave it. Your brain needs to relearn where to get the resources it needs.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
07-04-2017, 03:26 AM
(05-04-2017 03:00 PM)Leerob Wrote:  I am always below, on, or above the obese/morbidly obese line. I wrote to my friend that I am disappointed in myself because I just cannot stop eating the sweets.

(05-04-2017 03:00 PM)Leerob Wrote:  My alarm bells started ringing a few weeks ago when I started eating chocolate treats secretly at home. Kinda secret anyway. Trash bag right there to get rid of the wrappers, trying not to show that I have chocolate at home.
I have some unqualified ideas.

Don't put yourself into a position of depravity
If you think about depraving yourself of treats then it will feel like punishment, you will resent not having the treats and eventually you will give in to the urge.

I think (lets say you love chocolate) it makes sense to embrace your love of chocolate. Instead of buying the cheap and nasty stuff in bulk, buy the top of the range stuff. See it as something really special, see it as a treat, savour it, make it last.

So for example instead of buying 2kgs of cheap chocolate, buy 100 grams of the expensive stuff. Instead of chowing down on a 250 gram box in one sitting, eat just one very expensive chocolate. Perhaps have Friday as being your special day to have that special treat.

With regards to exercise. I signed up for a half marathon 21 kms, and trained all year for it. Each time I ran I tried to better myself, eventually I saw junk food, sugars and chocolates and nuts etc as getting in the way of my goals. I didn't have to consciously deprive myself, I actually valued bettering (is that a word?) my personal best run, more than I valued the junk food. But still, every now and then I had those special chocolates, as a small treat.

Allow yourself to indulge, don't deprive yourself :-)
07-04-2017, 08:37 AM
Congrats to you I think Stevil idea is really good.
I like truffles, so a truffle on Friday after a good week would be a good treat.
10-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I haven't had any chocolate in 4 days now.
I am having other treats when I want them but I don't want them as much as I want chocolate.

I get where Stevil is coming from but that is an approach that doesn't work for me. Chocolate is not something I can control. I try and I fail. It is like telling an alcoholic to have a sip of really expensive wine rather than buying some cheap bottles and just drink them in one sitting.
btw for those shaking their heads like "come on... just chocolate". For me it is not just chocolate. Might sounds silly for some. But for me it is not. It is negatively impacting my life and I cannot control it unless I stop having it completely.
Sadly... Chocolate is so nice... ah well.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post