Poll: Which degree do you find the best?
Anthropology
Biology
Computer Graphics Animation
Psychology
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Choice of Degree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2014, 12:01 AM
RE: Choice of Degree
(24-04-2014 12:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 11:57 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I would probably need a psychologist.

And so would they!

... It'd just become an infinite recursion of psychologists: Shrinks all the way down.

Haha so true

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2014, 05:55 AM
(23-04-2014 11:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I've been thinking about what to do with my life lately and college has been a big thought. I want to get your guys and gals opinion on a couple Degree's i'm interested in. You can vote in the poll above or leave your thoughts below. The four choices are...
  • Computer Graphics Animation
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

How about a Computer Science degree?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-04-2014, 06:04 AM
(23-04-2014 11:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I've been thinking about what to do with my life lately and college has been a big thought. I want to get your guys and gals opinion on a couple Degree's i'm interested in. You can vote in the poll above or leave your thoughts below. The four choices are...
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

The Computer Graphics Animation or Biology might get you a job where you use your skills, more so with the former. This can mean higher starting salary.

With psychology and anthropology you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll then need to train yourself and get experience to start a career doing something completely different. Unless you want to go down the road of doing post graduate courses in which case starting a career will be even harder, even with a PhD because you'll be wanting something specifically making use of what you learned at university.

Which subject are you most interested in?
24-04-2014, 06:04 AM
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

Without knowing you it's like throwing a dart at a board blind folded to choose. Here are some thoughts.

Computer Graphics Animation - Not a lot of money to be made, but the work can be fun. I have a few friends that do this and they make enough to live, but things can be tough at times. Not a lot of demand for this in small towns.

Psychology - Really need a PhD to work in the field and the pay is not all that great. Cound be really rewarding if you enjoy helping people

Anthropology - Not familure with this field. I suspect you need a PhD to work in the field and that the most likely employer will be a university. Could be fun and rewarding, but not high paying.

Biology - Not an in demand field. You maybe could get on with the local wild life and fishiers department or couple it with a HS teaching gig. To do research and what not a PhD is more than likely required and expect to work at a university.
24-04-2014, 06:07 AM
I Heart anthropology

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
24-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Do whatever one interests you the most.
No point doing something in life you don't wanna do, you're just wasting your time otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-04-2014, 01:46 PM
(24-04-2014 05:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

How about a Computer Science degree?

That's possible though i'm interested in Animation directly.

(24-04-2014 06:04 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

The Computer Graphics Animation or Biology might get you a job where you use your skills, more so with the former. This can mean higher starting salary.

With psychology and anthropology you'll find yourself in a situation where you'll then need to train yourself and get experience to start a career doing something completely different. Unless you want to go down the road of doing post graduate courses in which case starting a career will be even harder, even with a PhD because you'll be wanting something specifically making use of what you learned at university.

Which subject are you most interested in?

I don't know at the moment, they all sound great.

(24-04-2014 06:04 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
  • Psychology
  • Anthropology
  • Biology

Without knowing you it's like throwing a dart at a board blind folded to choose. Here are some thoughts.

Computer Graphics Animation - Not a lot of money to be made, but the work can be fun. I have a few friends that do this and they make enough to live, but things can be tough at times. Not a lot of demand for this in small towns.

Psychology - Really need a PhD to work in the field and the pay is not all that great. Cound be really rewarding if you enjoy helping people

Anthropology - Not familure with this field. I suspect you need a PhD to work in the field and that the most likely employer will be a university. Could be fun and rewarding, but not high paying.

Biology - Not an in demand field. You maybe could get on with the local wild life and fishiers department or couple it with a HS teaching gig. To do research and what not a PhD is more than likely required and expect to work at a university.

Pay doesn't both me too much as long as I can make enough to live on, mostly for the enjoyment of working in the respective fields but thank you for your thoughts. Thumbsup

(24-04-2014 06:07 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I Heart anthropology

I know! seems like a great field to work in, hence why i'm interested in it.

(24-04-2014 06:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do whatever one interests you the most.
No point doing something in life you don't wanna do, you're just wasting your time otherwise.

I agree but it's trying to decide which one I may want to do that's the issue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
24-04-2014, 02:09 PM
(24-04-2014 01:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 06:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do whatever one interests you the most.

I agree but it's trying to decide which one I may want to do that's the issue

Although I agree in principle with the idea of doing a degree based on how much you interested in it, if you only use that criterion then you will only be enjoying it for three years until you need to get a job that you may not like.

You need to find the right balance between a degree that you are interested in and it allowing you to find work afterwards that will also keep you interested. Three years pass by much more quickly than a forty or fifty year career.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
24-04-2014, 02:13 PM
(24-04-2014 02:09 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 01:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I agree but it's trying to decide which one I may want to do that's the issue

Although I agree in principle with the idea of doing a degree based on how much you interested in it, if you only use that criterion then you will only be enjoying it for three years until you need to get a job that you may not like.

You need to find the right balance between a degree that you are interested in and it allowing you to find work afterwards that will also keep you interested. Three years pass by much more quickly than a forty or fifty year career.

Good point, albeit if I even decide to go to college.

24-04-2014, 02:35 PM
(24-04-2014 01:46 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 06:04 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Without knowing you it's like throwing a dart at a board blind folded to choose. Here are some thoughts.

Pay doesn't both me too much as long as I can make enough to live on, mostly for the enjoyment of working in the respective fields but thank you for your thoughts. Thumbsup

I always did, and still do, have concerns over working a job that will provide enough for me to take care of the family vs doing what I love. That was what made me study and pursue a career in my second choise (Mech Engr) instead of my first (music). Lucky for me my first choise was something I could still do with out it being my job. Speaking of music, I got band rehersal tonight.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post