Choices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Choices
I keep hearing people state that they "choose" to believe.

How can one even do that?

Is it just me or is it just impossible to "believe" stuff you know to be nonsense?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
30-10-2014, 08:56 AM
RE: Choices
Fake it til you make it, maybe? I wanna believe so badly, if I just keep saying it and acting like I believe, it'll be true!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
30-10-2014, 09:13 AM
(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  I keep hearing people state that they "choose" to believe.

Is it just me or is it just impossible to "believe" stuff you know to be nonsense?

In the most recent such thread, the OP claimed to be talking about "choosing" to believe in one or the other of two alternatives that are equally probable, with no slam-dunk proof of either. In that context, yes, I think you can choose to believe one or the other.

However, I think he was deluding himself into thinking that the two alternatives are equally probable. If one alternative is clearly nonsense, and the other one is close to certain, I have no choice. I must believe what the evidence tells me. So I'm with you on this one.

However, I suppose it is possible for mentally ill people to delude themselves into believing just about anything.
30-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Yup.

I can choose what I believe in the same way that I can choose to be gay.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
30-10-2014, 09:18 AM
(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  I keep hearing people state that they "choose" to believe.

Most of the time they didn't chose to believe, most often they were forced to believe or indoctrinated. If people really, truly made choices there would be a greater diversity and mixture of the religious and nonreligious scattered throughout the world like confetti, but as it is now religions are mostly geographic.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Isn't "choose to believe" just another way of saying "take for granted?"

Example: I don't know if Sally is telling the truth. She may well be lying, but I choose to believe her just the same.
[+] 1 user Likes TreeSapNest's post
30-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I think you can choose to believe in things with no proof. I believe there is life on other worlds even tho we have no proof. This appears to be a rational position for me based on the huge number of other planets out there. I do not believe we have been visited by aliens. I feel if we had been actually visited there would have been some evidence.
30-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Re: Choices
By one person forcing against cognitive dissonance so sternly that you delude yourself.

I think people make choices in this manner. An aggressive ego may boost ones ability to believe such things.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-10-2014, 10:50 AM
We talking an extended version of suspension of disbelief? I wonder if such a thing is possible. I'm sure everyone has moments of doubt maybe its a cue to get back to reality.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
30-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Now, I know I am atypical since I deconverted at age 10.

But - no matter how much I wanted to - I KNOW that the bible isn't an actual account of things that really happened. I can't possibly make myself think otherwise. It just isn't possible.

It has always been a mystery to me how an atheist can convert and become a believer... does that really ever happen?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man