Choices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 10:21 PM
RE: Choices
(01-11-2014 09:48 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  ...
I think any thinking person chooses their belief or lack thereof in whatever. We can choose to believe in the government or choose to believe they are a bunch of thieves and sell outs.

I think we reach a conclusion about the government (to use your example) based on data which helps form our belief.

Data --> Information --> Knowledge --> Wisdom.

Meaning... I don't agree. So now what?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 11:38 PM
(01-11-2014 10:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:48 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  ...
I think any thinking person chooses their belief or lack thereof in whatever. We can choose to believe in the government or choose to believe they are a bunch of thieves and sell outs.

I think we reach a conclusion about the government (to use your example) based on data which helps form our belief.

I believe we not only have the CHOICE to look deeply into the affairs of our Government, I also believe it to be each individual's responsibility, and the founding fathers of America would be in agreement with me. Most people choose not to educate themselves. You do agree we DO have these choices right?
02-11-2014, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 06:57 PM by Grasshopper.)
(01-11-2014 09:49 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  I didn't think so Grasshopper... talk all you like, you don't have the ass for it. Im more than just talk, so any time, the challenge is open to ANYONE HERE for the 1 on 1.

Huh

I'm Grasshopper. The person with whom you've been arguing is Tartarus Sauce. Totally different person. However, I do agree with the conclusion -- you are not worth the time and trouble of a one-on-one argument.

I will say this, though: Genesis 1 is not "evidence". It's a story. Genesis 2 is a different, somewhat contradictory version of the same story. Scientific evidence does not support either of them.
02-11-2014, 06:34 PM
(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  I keep hearing people state that they "choose" to believe.

How can one even do that?

Is it just me or is it just impossible to "believe" stuff you know to be nonsense?

But many believers dont know it as nonsense. Ask KC. right?

Just sayin....

My mom was a very serious believer all her days. You could not have pryed her away from her belief with all the logic. In the world. In all honesty, she did not choose anything. It was just who she was....like haircolor. And why (at times) i have patience with Christians. Just depends on the particular Christian.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
02-11-2014, 06:38 PM
(01-11-2014 11:38 PM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 10:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think we reach a conclusion about the government (to use your example) based on data which helps form our belief.

I believe we not only have the CHOICE to look deeply into the affairs of our Government, I also believe it to be each individual's responsibility, and the founding fathers of America would be in agreement with me. Most people choose not to educate themselves. You do agree we DO have these choices right?

I agree. I have reached those conclusions too. I believe them.

I didn't choose those beliefs. I became convinced.

Drinking Beverage

02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
(02-11-2014 06:34 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  ...
she did not choose anything. It was just who she was....like haircolor.

I'm not sure that's the best analogy Consider

Big Grin

03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
(30-10-2014 08:49 AM)Dom Wrote:  I keep hearing people state that they "choose" to believe.

How can one even do that?

Is it just me or is it just impossible to "believe" stuff you know to be nonsense?

You can't. I tried for nearly two years to make myself believe again once I stopped. It doesn't work that way.

You can try to put yourself into a more receptive mind frame, I suppose, but I had a hard time doing that. For example: I might have been able to go back to Christianity easier if I were more able to get on board with "The Lord works in mysterious ways" and similar things, but I couldn't. It was hard to get to a point where I would knowingly just "let go" or rationality to get it to work. So, I ended up letting go of religion. Yay me!
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
It's called cognitive dissonance.
People claim to believe what makes them feel good until they actually start believing their own bullshit.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 1 user Likes Winterwolf00's post