Chomsky

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2017, 01:56 PM
RE: Chomsky
(25-09-2017 01:21 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 12:18 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I would say even someone who has a drug addiction is working harder. Do you know how difficult it is to deal with a drug addiction? In addition to being poor?

And what would you suggest that be done with that?
I agree that we should provide a safety net so that they get treatment and shelter and food. But they aren't producing anything. Where is anything more supposed to come from?
And I'm not sure that they are working harder.
Life is certainly harder.

They're working. They're just not working in the sense that they have a job. They're working to survive.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2017, 02:43 PM
(25-09-2017 01:33 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  I agree with food and shelter. Video games makes me laugh.
It's a free country. Wanna be Jim Morrison?
Write some songs that are that good.

I've already got the acid, just waiting on Amazon to deliver the canned beans.

#sigh
25-09-2017, 02:44 PM
(25-09-2017 01:33 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  There will NEVER be a guaranteed income.

Then there will be guillotines.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-09-2017, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 03:00 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-09-2017 01:33 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  If more and more jobs are being automated I'd take a look around for all the stuff that won't be.

And what pray tell, do you think you see? Which jobs do you think cannot be automated?

#sigh
25-09-2017, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 06:26 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
(25-09-2017 02:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 01:33 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  If more and more jobs are being automated I'd take a look around for all the stuff that won't be.

And what pray tell, do you think you see? Which jobs do you think cannot be automated?

At my workplace there are people who troubleshoot the robots that I interact with (I'm a picker for Amazon). I imagine that won't be automated for a pretty long time. However my job might get automated within a few decades, depending on what advancements in visual recognition technology there are. I don't think there's a way to automate it without those advancements.

25-09-2017, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2017 07:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-09-2017 06:21 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  At my workplace there are people who troubleshoot the robots that I interact with (I'm a picker for Amazon). I imagine that won't be automated for a pretty long time.

Then your imagination is weak. I am currently working on the Internet of Things where we are programming autonomic self-* behaviors into, well fucking everything. First we program the thingies to operate and monitor themselves within certain operational parameters and don't bother us unless those parameters go whack, then we program groups of thingies to perform specific tasks by "work it out amongst yourselves" and don't bother us unless shit goes sideways and you ain't got the resources to perform your task, then we program monitor agents to monitor all that shit for us and reallocate resources as necessary according to our task prioritization when shit goes sideways and don't bother us unless shit really goes south.

I envision a battlefield where a single squad can monitor and respond to hundreds of thousands, and maybe millions, of smart thingies on the battlefield. If we programmers do our job properly. Programming is perhaps the only profession who fully realizes that we are willing participants in our own obsolescence. If we do our job right, nobody will need us anymore. ... Warms me cockles, gives me a warm, fuzzy in my tummy. Course we might also end up creating SkyNet. Don't ask us which, we dunno. Could go either way.

(25-09-2017 06:21 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  However my job might get automated within a few decades, depending on what advancements in visual recognition technology there are. I don't think there's a way to automate it without those advancements.

You ain't got decades. Shit, you ain't even talking about facial recognition, you're just talking about object recognition. I don't give you 2 years. YOLO9000: Better, Faster, Stronger

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-09-2017, 07:07 PM
..... doubley-postey

#sigh
25-09-2017, 07:11 PM
(25-09-2017 06:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You ain't got decades.

We'll see. I'm skeptical mainly because technological advancements tend to come out slower than people realize, from what I've seen.

25-09-2017, 07:12 PM
(25-09-2017 07:11 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 06:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You ain't got decades.

We'll see. Tongue

I know the guys doing the work, they already got code to do your job just ain't ruggedized enough yet for the factory floor. The engineers will fix that soon enough. Tongue

#sigh
25-09-2017, 07:13 PM
(25-09-2017 07:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-09-2017 07:11 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  We'll see. Tongue

I know the guys doing the work, they can already do your job.

But my job hasn't been replaced yet. How long do you think it'll be till I get replaced?