Chomsky

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2017, 02:36 PM
RE: Chomsky
(21-09-2017 02:14 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  The proposition that "Great is judgmental and someone's feelings might get hurt, so lets give everyone a trophy" is weak and pathetic on face value and any person should recoil in horror at anyone who actually wants to create a reality that resembles anything like that.
At least the "make America great" mantra has teeth.
And America is not great like it used to be.
We used to be the engine of innovation.
We graduated the highest number of post graduates in the world.
We also were an example of a functioning democracy.
None of that is true any longer.
We have lost our strength and people are keenly aware of that.
This opens the door for a Trump.
His promises are false but that doesn't matter.
The horse has left the stable by the time that is clear.

Because someone does not buy into the MAGA mantra, it does not necessarily imply that they want to give everyone a trophy to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

Nothing Trump has done so far shows that he is not interested in fixing the education problem in this country.
He doesn't appear to care, and he certainly doesn't seem to have the mental capacity for the job.
Getting people to cheer for him and chant MAGA isn't going to fix shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2017, 02:57 PM
It's an insult to Chomsky to leave his name in the title of this thread.

But he did do it to himself. It's a self-inflicted wound.

He knew we had no choice. Not only no choice but to firmly reject Trump but no choice whatsoever. He shamed himself even suggesting that we should've voted in that fucking farce in the first place.
21-09-2017, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 03:14 PM by epronovost.)
(21-09-2017 02:31 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  I can scarcely even believe that you would need to ask that question.
If I translate it it is where many get a free ride no matter how untalented or lazy they are at the expense of others who are more talented and work harder to achieve.

My oh my, you sure are quick to know who works hard and who doesn't! Who decide what working hard is? My grand-mother worked hard, but never made a dime in her entire life since she was a stay at home spouse. Looks like giving birth to 7 kids and raising them properly isn't working hard afterall! I mean I'm sure that working hard is what you and your palls are doing and not what the others over there are doing!

Tongue

Quote:The promise of what has always made America great is a level playing field.
A playing field where people work hard and either win or lose.
And because the game is fair they have no one to blame or credit but themselves.
This is the engine for America's greatness.

Yeah, the level playing field that gives women a lower paycheck, discriminate in employment all racial minorities. The level playing field where segregation was a thing and so was slavery. Oh and lets not talk about ghettos, because everybody knows that the clean rich suburbia of Seattle and the inner city of Flint are totally on the same level. Even better, schools of Lousiana where science education is theatenned by religious extremists (when they aren't controlled by them) on a daily basis are surely just as good and on the same level as the best schools of Boston or New-York. You know, when we say ''a level playing field'', we are talking about a flat ground, not a ground levelled by artillery fire.

Tongue

Quote:People came here from places where unless you were born to money and position no amount of hard work would allow a person to get ahead.
And the sons and daughters of the wealthy and connected would stay that way no matter what they did.

Yeah, because you have nothing like dynastic political families (the Adams, the Clinton, the Kennedy, the Bush, the Trump). Looks to me that the States have better PR than results. You should see the posters and the propaganda (and all the dirty tricks and shenanigans) used to attracted the poor, the restless, the downtroden and the rich industrial and landowners of Europe and other to build your country.

Tongue

Quote:
As time has gone by this is what has died in the American dream.
The new left seems anxious to hurry that along at every opportunity.
This is a stark change from the time that the left was representative of the working class.

Maybe someone wants to kill the American Dream because its just that... a dream and it might by high time for American to wake up and realised that you can't live by dreaming, but you can die in it. Funny how those who defend the dream the most are those who actually have a reasonnable shot at making it isn't?

Tongue

PS: In case, it wasn't clear, I am completly trolling you and especially your display of quasi jingoistic, but ultimately a bit lazy, form of patriotism. This is a trait that I find very common in a lot of people, including myself from time to time. We complain about a clear and focus issue, but will never do anything to change it. We sit back and complain on how wrong things are without realising (or perhapse in spite of it) that our behavior and values are the reason things are wrong. The rest of the critique is more or less a general critique (and an almost tautological one so much it has been repeated and exposed) of the American society and the idiosycrasis of its aspiration and organisation. In the end, we both want all want the same thing we just can't agree on what needs to be done to make it happen for real.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post
21-09-2017, 03:34 PM
(21-09-2017 02:14 PM)BikerDude Wrote:  The proposition that "Great is judgmental and someone's feelings might get hurt, so lets give everyone a trophy" is weak and pathetic on face value and any person should recoil in horror at anyone who actually wants to create a reality that resembles anything like that.
At least the "make America great" mantra has teeth.
And America is not great like it used to be.
We used to be the engine of innovation.
We graduated the highest number of post graduates in the world.
We also were an example of a functioning democracy.
None of that is true any longer.
We have lost our strength and people are keenly aware of that.
This opens the door for a Trump.
His promises are false but that doesn't matter.
The horse has left the stable by the time that is clear.

But greatness is in the eye of the beholder. The era you referred to sure was great ... if you weren't black ... or Hispanic ... or female ... or mired in poverty ... or ...
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
21-09-2017, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2017 03:46 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(21-09-2017 11:24 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 11:12 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Bullshit yourself!

You are a cynical liar and verbally abusive. And you're on ignore.
Angry

That's weak sauce.

It's not weak if it's true.

Some people think they're tough guys when they're just liars. Trump's a great example. Such people judge others by themselves, so they reveal how awful they are by constantly repeating how awful others are. All they really know how to do is tear people down to make themselves look good. Their comments are worse than useless.
21-09-2017, 04:28 PM
(20-09-2017 10:09 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I can't be bothered to watch an hour of video in order to comment. Any chance of a synopsis? What's the "tinfoil hat" stuff you're referring to?

Chomsky is an anarchist, extremely knowledgeable about the US political system, and very aware of how the average citizen has been screwed out of meaningful participation in that system.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
21-09-2017, 04:34 PM
(21-09-2017 01:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 01:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The one that implies we are pathetic and weak because we somehow lost our "greatness" when we weren't looking? That one?

Someone told them America isn't great anymore and they bought into it,

In my rather considerable experience on these matters, that's almost always a sign of a deep-seated inferiority complex and extremely low self-esteem.

#sigh
21-09-2017, 04:43 PM
(21-09-2017 06:45 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I have no idea why you are trying to sell hatred of Democrats at this forum. You are painting millions of Americans with a very broad brush.

Is it hatred, or just frustration and disgust?

If Republicans have allowed themselves to be subverted by Evangelicals and the ultra right, Democrats have been infiltrated by a band of squishy-left social activists, all with good causes, but each one of which acts as if theirs is the only cause. They haven't been able to organize sufficiently to accomplish most of their goals, they're easily distracted from focusing on major problems by relatively minor issues, and they can't find a good national candidate to save their lives. The small segment of the Democrat party that still does have both the insight and the power to do anything significant has moved so far to the right that 30 years ago they could have passed for Republicans.

If the "bitter clingers" killed the Republican party, the "snowflakes" killed the Democrat party.

We don't have two parties in this country anymore; we have one party, and it's plagued by fractious in-fighting, and manipulated to the Nth degree by the plutocracy that really runs things.

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
21-09-2017, 04:44 PM

You are wrong. It's not necessarily your fault that you have not seriously considered the meaning of the Übermensch or even heard of Beyond Good and Evil, but it is your fault for thinking your uneducated ass knows what "weak and pathetic" means based on your uninformed "face value." Thinking you know things based on what you think is "face value" is the sign of a weak and pathetic mind.

Participation trophies are the only ones that mean dick. “To live is to suffer; to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.”

#sigh
21-09-2017, 04:51 PM
(21-09-2017 10:35 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(21-09-2017 07:01 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Because I've watched the Democratic party being destroyed and it's entire traditional base move en mass to the right.

They're no different than any other successful political party -- they go where the votes are. They moved right to chase votes, and in that sense, their intellectual bankruptcy can be laid at the feet of voters who have lapped up the politics of anecdote and ideology without pausing to think for themselves.

So... 'people get the government they deserve'?

--
Dr H