Choose to be gay? Faggot!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 11:57 AM
RE: Choose to be gay? Faggot!
(15-05-2013 11:31 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  Labels are so very bad in cases like this. Even Kinsey's scale doesn't do sexuality justice.

I have no interest in men, but I have no illusions that this is due to societal conditioning rather than biology.

Humans are simply "sexual." We all have preferences based on both biological and environmental factors, but ultimately, straight, gay and even bisexual people are victims of society conditioning them into needing a label to define them. We all have the potential to be sexually interested in either sex (and things in between.) It's an issue of personal taste, but just like foods, some tastes can be learned.

Ultimately, the LGBT movement does as much damage to its cause as it helps by arguing that it isn't a "choice." By some reasoning, nothing we do is a choice - we will always act as we are programmed to act in any given situation -- that programming is both "nature" and "nurture." Choice and free will are illusions. With that said, they're important illusions.

To a great degree, who and what you are attracted to is a "choice," as much as anything else is. And that choice is just as valid as your choice of what you want to eat for dinner. Why does it matter whether you were "born that way" or whether you are making a "lifestyle choice?" Both are equally good reasons for everyone else to accept them. Your choices and personal taste are none of my business unless you want them to be, and what you choose to do is just as valid as what I choose to do. By saying "I was born that way," you're making an excuse for something that requires no excuse, because love between consenting adults is beautiful in any form.

I agree with what you say except the part about the LGBT hurting their cause. It takes time to change things in society, and in this case a detour is necessary to achieve a bigger goal, otherwise everything would be reduced to an academic endless discussion with no real world effects.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 01:24 PM
I disagree that you consciously decide to whom you are attracted. The "choice" in the matter, as I see it, is whether or not you pursue that. I know a lot of straight people who never just decided to be attracted to the opposite sex. They realized they were already attracted to the opposite sex, and then made choices based on that.

The problem with "choosing to be gay," besides that it makes no sense to me, is that no one would decide to be part of a minority that is ridiculed and has fewer rights. The problem with calling it a "lifestyle choice" is that no one calls heterosexuality a "lifestyle choice," they just think of it as the default.

I don't think orientation is a choice, but actions are always a choice.

Quote:Humans are simply "sexual."
I disagree with this too, because some are not. Most are sexual, though, yes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
15-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Choose to be gay? Faggot!
If you ever met somebody struggling with their sexual orientation to the point of been mistreated by family members and society in general... Even beat ups... Then maybe you will consider that is true when somebody that is actually homosexual tells you that is not a choice.

Wether is their background, their experiences, environment, genes, hormones...

I think we have the choice to get turned off, per say to not get so attracted to somebody that is not reachable. But not to be tuned on by something that doesn't turn us on, for the most part.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Weeeeee_Zard's post
15-05-2013, 05:43 PM
(15-05-2013 11:31 AM)CompletelySolo Wrote:  I have no interest in men, but I have no illusions that this is due to societal conditioning rather than biology

Quote:We all have preferences based on both biological and environmental factors...

These two statements seem contradictory. Are you saying that your heterosexuality is only the effect of environmental factors? Are you suggesting that you were born bisexual and became heterosexual through conditioning? In that case, it would seem to me that your biology played some small role in determining your sexual orientation, unless you think we are all born bisexual.

Quote:By saying "I was born that way," you're making an excuse for something that requires no excuse, because love between consenting adults is beautiful in any form.

I think it's entirely possible that some of us were full-on-lady-gaga born this way. As I said earlier, I don't think sexual orientation is absolutely static for everyone, but that goes both ways. Maybe it is static for some of us. Of course, I agree with you on the point that sexual identity/orientation doesn't require an excuse.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post