Choose who repopulates Earth

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
26-10-2013, 11:11 PM
RE: Choose who repopulates Earth
All their knowledge is irrelevant. All their history is irrelevant (aside from physical) Even a doctor is useless without instinct.

I choose the six people that have the least amount of evidence of genetic illness (ie cancer, diabetes, arthritis) as my first criterea. Second is age, younger gaining preference. If there is a need for a third criterea, it will be appearance (symmetrical face, healthy, robust body structure, etc etc.).

The one exception is the pilot, since he is nessecary to get the group to the earth. After that, it's one more dude, and the four winningest ladies.

For the record, I read the first couple and realized that most of the info was irrelevant so didn't bother to read them all. Whole lotta nothing. An understanding of genetic biology won't be useful. Neither will experience in a marriage. All bets are off if we're down to six. It is nothing but survival.

....as an aside, I really don't have a strong attachment to the human race, so I'd be a sick fucker and choose anyone but the pilot. One less species to blow up the planet.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-10-2013, 02:29 AM
(26-10-2013 11:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  An understanding of genetic biology won't be useful. Neither will experience in a marriage. All bets are off if we're down to six. It is nothing but survival.

Experience in marriage I think is useful. e.g. a lot of the possibles were divorced or single - why ? If they're not good in a relationship then there must be some other overriding reason to choose them.

Subject matter wise there are some with experience that *could* be useful in a survival context - astronomers etc are hardly useful... biology - maybe. Doctor - absolutely. Since it is such a risky undertaking, people could easily get injured or otherwise have problems. For simple stuff, even without good medical supplies, a doctor could be the difference between death and survival.

This is a long shot anyway, assuming that everyone's up for it. Maybe some of them would prefer not to be involved - it's hardly very nice that suddenly from being a super-intelligent wunderkind your usefulness in solving this particular problem is determined by your suitability as a breeder...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-10-2013, 02:37 AM
PS - not implying that divorced / single = bad in a relationship. Argh. Badly worded Sad Should have said if there's a *possibility* that... even that sounds really bad... I think in *this extreme hypothetical situation* it's reasonable to think in this way...

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-10-2013, 02:38 AM
(26-10-2013 05:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Chicxalub impact was 100 tetratons, and it didn't wipe out all life.
Just because they can't communicate with survivors doesn't mean there aren't any.
10 tetratons is too small to assume it would have wiped all humans. If it did wipe out all humans, then the planet would be uninhabitable, and even when they get back, there will be nothing to eat.

Chicxalub impact was equivalent to 100 teratons not tetratons.
27-10-2013, 02:47 AM
(26-10-2013 11:08 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  The human race is doomed with only 6 people due to the genetic bottleneck this would create.

Is it really that bad ? Because e.g. hamsters - can't remember where, but I read that all domestic hamsters are descended from one pair... hang on a sec...

Here's a reference - looks like it might not be a 100% above board claim.

Quote:The problem was that European hamsters were resistant to leishmaniasis, so Goodwin decided to try Syrian hamsters, bred from a pair sent to the laboratory by a Jewish scientist working in Jerusalem (who had taken them from a burrow in Aleppo).

Quote:One unexpected by-product of Goodwin's research was a new pet craze. The Syrian hamster is the most common type of hamster kept as a pet; and in an interview recorded for Oxford Brookes University Medical Sciences Video Archive, Goodwin claimed that all those now on sale in Europe are descended from that first colony bred in Euston Road.

27-10-2013, 03:31 AM
As I was beaten to the obvious and preferred 'harem' answer, I will have to make a sensible, logical and rational decision.

I guess, with the in-breeding table as a hint, there should be 3 males and three females.

There are two obvious exclusions: Alexandra and Kerry.

But there are no clues as to the superstition-beliefs of the others.

It's great opportunity to start again without anyone exposed to the god-virus.

Yes

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Ah, for crying out loud.

You need the doc and the pilot, beyond that you need the strongest people because it's going to be next to impossible, if not impossible, to procure food.

You need resourceful thinkers, people who think on their toes, not book smart folk.

I opt out. Not going to spend the rest of my life slaving away on a destroyed planet, and not going to be the brood mare for some guy I may not even like.

Freeze me and take the meat, you'll need it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-10-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm not seeing choices for 6 people and why.

But good jobs anyways. Thumbsup

(I got ranked down :Dodgy by some foolish dude)

Whatevs.
27-10-2013, 07:50 AM
(27-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  (I got ranked down :Dodgy by some foolish dude)
Whatevs.

Just *report* him. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
27-10-2013, 07:52 AM
(27-10-2013 07:50 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(27-10-2013 07:47 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  (I got ranked down :Dodgy by some foolish dude)
Whatevs.

Just *report* him. Thumbsup

Finally, something we agree on!

*report*

(You'll never know if I did or not hahahahahhahah)

Wink