Chris Hedges

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 03:40 AM
Chris Hedges
From "I don't believe in Atheists"

"They see only one truth: their truth. Human beings must become like them, think like them and adopt their values, which they insist are universal, or be banished from civilized society. All other values, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed."

Why Is America in Decline Chris Hedges on the U.S. Empire & Death of the Liberal Class (2012) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0fzISZ7io
31:20

If you want to hear what problem he has with atheists, start listening about 27 min from start. This guy does not believe in anything supernatural, but he has a serious problem with atheism (something he doesn't really understand, but he thinks he does), and this is something all atheists need to hear. We have an image problem. We are not always doing a good job of getting our message across. I think that by understanding Chris Hedges and getting him to understand us we can go a long way in correcting this problem.

Seth, do you think you could invite him on your show like you did with the Methodist minister?

"If what you say is actually true, I would want to know it too. ... You can convince me, and if it is true I want you to convince me ... and I will thank you for convincing me."

AronRa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJHVB7pROE
9:18
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 03:50 AM
RE: Chris Hedges
Hedges is an arsewipe. Worse even than Robert Wright.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
09-01-2014, 03:58 AM
(09-01-2014 03:40 AM)Question Everything Wrote:  From "I don't believe in Atheists"

"They see only one truth: their truth. Human beings must become like them, think like them and adopt their values, which they insist are universal, or be banished from civilized society. All other values, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed."

Why Is America in Decline Chris Hedges on the U.S. Empire & Death of the Liberal Class (2012) - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N0fzISZ7io
31:20

If you want to hear what problem he has with atheists, start listening about 27 min from start. This guy does not believe in anything supernatural, but he has a serious problem with atheism (something he doesn't really understand, but he thinks he does), and this is something all atheists need to hear. We have an image problem. We are not always doing a good job of getting our message across. I think that by understanding Chris Hedges and getting him to understand us we can go a long way in correcting this problem.

Seth, do you think you could invite him on your show like you did with the Methodist minister?

Greetings. Just a head's up: Seth rarely appears on the forum, I'm doubtful he'd see your suggestion here. You ought to send him an email directly.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a giant waste of time to me.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
09-01-2014, 05:00 AM
(09-01-2014 03:40 AM)Question Everything Wrote:  "They see only one truth: their truth.

He doesn't appear to understand truth. The truth is something, depending on how you define it, they we most likely are incapable of possessing. The point however is the continual pursuit of the truth, and that is the problem with many religions; they believe they are already in possession of it.

(09-01-2014 03:40 AM)Question Everything Wrote:  Human beings must become like them, think like them and adopt their values, which they insist are universal, or be banished from civilized society.

Nobody has too, unless they desire that their position to have any credibility. Valuing freedom of thought and consciousness, freedom of and from religion, desiring evidence for our beliefs, equality before the law, a respect for individual freedoms and the common societal good. Yes, these are some of the ways how we delineate and define a 'civilized society'. If however you value 'knowledge' from divine revelation, imposing your religious beliefs on others, institutionalized discrimination and sexual inequality? Guess what? You get placed over there in the 'uncivilized' category alongside the Taliban.

(09-01-2014 03:40 AM)Question Everything Wrote:  All other values, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed."

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
-Christopher Hitchens

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Re: RE: Chris Hedges
(09-01-2014 04:29 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like a giant waste of time to me.

I agree, I don't see much worth in wasting the effort to try and explain to this Guy how misconstrued he is. It's probably been tried and gone over his head.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-01-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm 50 mins into it.
It's an interesting 'is' analysis although I'm not convinced yet by his 'ought'.

Worth listening to.

Thanks.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
09-01-2014, 10:28 AM
They see only one truth: their truth. Human beings must become like them, think like them and adopt their values, which they insist are universal, or be banished from civilized society. All other values, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed.

Would he be ok with ....
"History only has one truth. You must accept this truth, adopt that value or be banished from civilized society.
All other values or accounts of history, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed"

or this...
Physics only has one truth. You must accept this truth, adopt that value or be banished from civilized society.
All other values or accounts of physics, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed"

or...
Math only has one truth. You must accept this truth, adopt that value or be banished from civilized society.
All other values or accounts of math, which they never investigate or examine, are dismissed"

Publish your account of Pearl Harbor and have it happen in 1685 on the island of Mauritius and then claim "They never investigated or examined my claim. They hold on to their truths like a religion and want everyone to think as they do"

This guy is out to sell books and peddle his bullshit to anyone who wants to feel like they are counter culture.
He is propping himself up as someone who doesn't go with the flow. "I'm different, therefore I'm right"

I have evaluated your claim Mister Hedges and no you can't get credit for inventing the airplane, nor sue all of the airlines for using your invention.

Good day sir

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I never said that Hedges was right about atheism (As far as I can tell, he IS an atheist), only that he has a misunderstanding about atheists that is shared by many people. He is also someone who has a great deal of knowledge of how the human world works and should not be brushed aside lightly. I would highly recommend taking him very seriously and listening to what he has to say.

The problem we atheists have, and it is not entirely our fault, is that their are about as many definitions of "God" as there are people. If by "God" you mean "Whatever it was that started the universe" then I believe in God, and I believe "God" to be what Lawrence Krauss defines as "nothing".

Hedges definition of "God' goes something like this:

"A concept of ultimate goodness, which exists only within the minds of humans."

I believe in that, too.

My definition of "God', the one I don't believe in, is "A thinking self aware being more powerful than all humans put together who created the universe and interacts with them and it".

Before debating or even discussing the existence or non existence of "God" with anyone, first make sure you agree on the definition of "God. Assume nothing. Question everything. Then, you can both figure out together whether or not the definition of "God' you both agree on fits with reality.

"If what you say is actually true, I would want to know it too. ... You can convince me, and if it is true I want you to convince me ... and I will thank you for convincing me."

AronRa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJHVB7pROE
9:18
09-01-2014, 12:30 PM
(09-01-2014 06:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's an interesting 'is' analysis although I'm not convinced yet by his 'ought'.

Spoken like a true philosopher

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post