Chris Hedges

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Re: RE: Chris Hedges
(09-01-2014 12:07 PM)Question Everything Wrote:  I never said that Hedges was right about atheism (As far as I can tell, he IS an atheist), only that he has a misunderstanding about atheists that is shared by many people. He is also someone who has a great deal of knowledge of how the human world works and should not be brushed aside lightly. I would highly recommend taking him very seriously and listening to what he has to say.

The problem we atheists have, and it is not entirely our fault, is that their are about as many definitions of "God" as there are people. If by "God" you mean "Whatever it was that started the universe" then I believe in God, and I believe "God" to be what Lawrence Krauss defines as "nothing".

Hedges definition of "God' goes something like this:

"A concept of ultimate goodness, which exists only within the minds of humans."

I believe in that, too.

My definition of "God', the one I don't believe in, is "A thinking self aware being more powerful than all humans put together who created the universe and interacts with them and it".

Before debating or even discussing the existence or non existence of "God" with anyone, first make sure you agree on the definition of "God. Assume nothing. Question everything. Then, you can both figure out together whether or not the definition of "God' you both agree on fits with reality.

I agree one should assume nothing. Which is why I would not accept that definition of God he gives as being worthy of use. It's presuming God is definitively not existent. He isnt atheist, at least as of 2008.

I don't find value in peoples arguments that unnecessarily generalize concepts and positions held by people.

From Reading interviews of him, his atheist perspective seems to stem from his disdain of Hitchens and to a lesser degree, Harris. I don't have issue with how he approaches political topics, but his atheist arguments come from an idea that atheists are following the words to agreement with these "figureheads" of the movement

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: Chris Hedges
(09-01-2014 12:07 PM)Question Everything Wrote:  I never said that Hedges was right about atheism (As far as I can tell, he IS an atheist), only that he has a misunderstanding about atheists that is shared by many people. He is also someone who has a great deal of knowledge of how the human world works and should not be brushed aside lightly. I would highly recommend taking him very seriously and listening to what he has to say.

The problem we atheists have, and it is not entirely our fault, is that their are about as many definitions of "God" as there are people. If by "God" you mean "Whatever it was that started the universe" then I believe in God, and I believe "God" to be what Lawrence Krauss defines as "nothing".

Hedges definition of "God' goes something like this:

"A concept of ultimate goodness, which exists only within the minds of humans."

I believe in that, too.

My definition of "God', the one I don't believe in, is "A thinking self aware being more powerful than all humans put together who created the universe and interacts with them and it".

Before debating or even discussing the existence or non existence of "God" with anyone, first make sure you agree on the definition of "God. Assume nothing. Question everything. Then, you can both figure out together whether or not the definition of "God' you both agree on fits with reality.

I would say he misunderstands more than he understands.

Gods, deities, demons, devils, angels, what have you, are all believed to be conscious beings that we have zero evidence for. Altering a definition to make it into a non-conscious emotion or concept, is in and of itself meaningless.

When I say glass of water, what I'm really talking about is compassion on a planet wide scale that has been around for as long as humans have walked the earth.

Words have meanings and if we are to communicate effectively, those definitions matter.

But he already knows this. He's a writer who is deceptively marketing his books.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post