Chrisitian Says "Slavery is OK"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2014, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 11:45 AM by RedJamaX.)
Chrisitian Says "Slavery is OK"
I've heard of this... but never actually encountered the situation myself until now... Granted, this was a discussion on YouTube comments... and I am guessing the individual has simply never actually read the bible... Anyway, here's the transcript of the discussion at hand...

You Tube Video - Christ Centered Relationships Pt 1

My Initial Posting (RedJamaX) - followed by the chain of discussion leading to "Slavery is OK" (paraphrasing)

RedJama X
4 months ago
Linked comment
Now for the Critiques...

4:00 - "god instituted marriage" - WRONG, marriage is a concept of a relationship that has been in place in the human culture for much longer than the Christian religion has been around. The first dynasties in Egypt, more than 6,000 years ago, employed marriage in their culture, it is not exclusive to the Christian god. There are even animals that have pair-bond relationships as well.

7:00 - "My great power at work with-in you" - This entire concept is on of the most ridiculous ideologies to me... When something goes well, or a person doesn't something good, god/jesus get's the credit... but when it/he/she doesn't, it's your fault because "you" didn't pray hard enough (or correctly...??), "you" didn't follow god's word, "you" didn't have enough faith. Experiments have been conducted on analyzing the human brain and the sections that are used when we try to think about what other people are thinking vs. what we think for ourselves. When people say what they think "god/jesus" thinks about something, the same part of the brain is used when those people would say what they were thinking about a specific topic... When asked what another living breathing human being thinks about a topic, a different part of the brain is used.

Karis Nyambe
2 months ago

The statement that God instituted marriage takes root in the Genesis when God brought one woman to a man, all christians know that it goes beyond Christianity, that is the teachings and life of Christ who was the first to state that marriage was made by God( what God has united let no one separate) .
As for the Holy spirit working in us matter, if you knew a little more about the Christian doctrine, you would know that we assume that even "good deeds" can be carnal. That means you can do good out of your own flesh, and it will not be credited to God. Christian life is not about doing good things, but bout being a different person, and that person is Christ. I ca testify that I am (not bragging) an intelligent person, but in letting go and surrendering to the Holy Spirit (stoping to try do things on my own) I went from mediocre to good, and still I'm going up to excellence

RedJama X
2 months ago

+Karis Nyambe I am well aware of Christian doctrine and Dogmatic Practice as I was a Christian as well for 28 years. The very idea that "good" is defined by a the actions of a single authority, regardless of the action itself, is an incredibly immoral philosophy. There is nothing good that can be provided by religion which cannot also be provided by purely secular, non-religious means. However, there are many bad things brought to our society which can be directly sourced back to religion, including oppression, slavery, and murder... which Jesus did not recant on.. in fact, according to scripture, Jesus said "keep to the commandments"... that's all 613 of them, not just the ones you want... which include instructions on owning slaves, oppressing women, killing homosexuals, witches, unruly children and people who work on Sunday.... how is that "good"?? Jesus even said "Salves, obey your masters"

Gregory Kropf
2 days ago

+RedJama X he did not only say "slaves do obey to your masters" he also said *masters be good to your slaves". if you wanna be fair read all the verses, "not just the ones you want" (im quoting you).
i think you knowledge is lacking as much as ours is (maybe a little less even. could be), but that's not the point. because knowing the laws without knowing God (=having the holy spirit) leads to death. maybe what you have experienced.
Search for God and not doctrine

RedJama X
1 day ago

+Gregory Kropf So then, you are ok with slavery as long as it's monitored and regulated in such a manner that masters are good to their slaves? Does that context actually make slavery ok?

Gregory Kropf
4 hours ago

+RedJama X
I think so yes. I mean you gotta look at all the laws that have been given by God about slavery in the old testament. And God is not ok with a slave just being a slave his whole life because he's been forced. The slave has always to agree to be a slave sometimes for 1 year or 7... i don't remember exactly, and i don't think it's that important. The point i'm tryna make is that "a biblical slave" doesn't get forced, doesn't work too much, get well treated and gets food for him and his family (i think). He's more like a worker that decided no to get paid but get food for his work ( necessary things to live). Of course i'm against slavery as it was, don't get me wrong. black slavery and all of this is discusting !

RedJama X
6 seconds ago

+Gregory Kropf I have looked at the "laws" of the old testament and there is nothing in there about treating the slaves well. It says (paraphrasing): that you can purchase men and women as property and treat them and trade them as such from foreign visitors. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

It only makes the exception for Israeli men (not women), and only in the context that they cannot be owned and traded as property, but should be set free after 6 years. However, there is a caveat to that... (Exodus 21:2-3 NLT)

If you own an Israeli man slave and he gets married during that period of slavery, then only the man can go free after the 6 years... The bible specifically states that if the master "provided" the wife, then the wife is "owned" by the master, along with any children they have. And we can tell that this context of being "owned" implies "forever" because of the next part. The bible says: And if the man wants to stay with his wife and children, then the master should publicly drive a nail (awl) through his ear into a door, and then the man, wife and their kids will be owned by the master FOREVER. Which includes owning the children's children and so on... (Exodus 21:4-6 NLT)

The next part explains the selling of daughters into slavery... and how a man can purchase as many female slaves as he wants... specifically states that they will NOT go free after 6 years and that the woman will forever be a slave as long as the master feeds them, clothes them, and "sleep with her as his wife" (aka, have sex with them)... So, as long as you feed and clothe your SEX SALVE, then she is yours forever... (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Last, but not least, Masters can beat their slaves (however they please) as long as they don't die within two days.. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

There is NO mis-reading of context here... it is not written in any poetic form, nor is it confusing to interpret... Look it up for yourself...

Anybody else run into this kind of mis-informed Christian before?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
RE: Chrisitian Says "Slavery is OK"
Yep - had to do a rebuttal to one that said slavery is not God's fault...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
03-09-2014, 11:42 AM
It's disgusting, isn't it? I had a YEC former friend and he threw the Stalin was an atheist at me. I told him Stalin was a mere amateur, YHWH destroyed the entire planet with a flood. I backed him into a corner where he said that the flood was "just". Absolutely disgusting waste of oxygen! He later deleted all of his comments on that thread, perhaps he understood how ugly his excuses for planetary genocide were.

I can only take solace that such a morally depraved philosophy that excuses planetary genocide will slowly die off from people discovering what a horror it is.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-09-2014, 07:40 AM
(03-09-2014 11:42 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's disgusting, isn't it? I had a YEC former friend and he threw the Stalin was an atheist at me. I told him Stalin was a mere amateur, YHWH destroyed the entire planet with a flood. I backed him into a corner where he said that the flood was "just". Absolutely disgusting waste of oxygen! He later deleted all of his comments on that thread, perhaps he understood how ugly his excuses for planetary genocide were.

Flood apologetics are the worst. If you ever want to find out how creepy (or at least creepily dependent on their beliefs) an apologist is, just get them going on about the flood.

Best case, they'll give you a sheepish or defeated sounding "I don't know" and refuse to give any real answer to it. That way, they don't have to admit defeat, but they don't have to defend something obviously reprehensible. The more secure a person is in their fundamentalism, the more you get "It's just for God to kill babies because he's God, but it's terrible for people to get abortions", which is basically a system of "morality isn't about what you do, but who is doing it".

I mean, if your answer to "is it morally wrong to drown babies" is "that depends: who is doing it?", that should send up a red flag.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post