Christian Annoyances Part 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Christian Annoyances Part 1
There are things that Christians do and I'm sure everyone has their own pet peeves but one of them was something I heard Governor Chris Christie say today that really makes my ass itch. He was talking about the storm that hit New Jersey and he, of course, had to include God into his speech and said, "Not a lot of human lives were lost and we thank God for being there and sparing the majority of lives".....

Ok. So basically people thank God for sparing lives and just what about those that lost theirs? Is that just free will? Or is that a part of God's grand plan because he gets super busy sparing some lives but not the 50 people killed? Or perhaps those 50 that were harmed really just deserved it?

And if there is a God so powerful then why was there a storm in the first place? Ohhhh I know...it's because we just can't explain how amazing and powerful he is. lol.

/end of rant
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2012, 05:34 PM
RE: Christian Annoyances Part 1
I honestly don't get how atheist can blame a God they believe is fictional for a natural disaster. I also honestly don't understand how Christians can give credit to a God they know very little about for sparing them. God doesn't work that way.

In Eden Adam and Eve were protected, they rejected that protection and were removed from that place. In rejecting God Adam said, more or less, that he wanted to do things his way, and God said, okay. For a little while so you can see.

Atheist continue to reject him and still blame him. Its nonsensical.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2012, 05:37 PM
(31-10-2012 05:34 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I honestly don't get how atheist can blame a God they believe is fictional for a natural disaster. I also honestly don't understand how Christians can give credit to a God they know very little about for sparing them. God doesn't work that way.

In Eden Adam and Eve were protected, they rejected that protection and were removed from that place. In rejecting God Adam said, more or less, that he wanted to do things his way, and God said, okay. For a little while so you can see.

You've lost me. Which atheist blamed god for the storm?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 3 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
31-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't get it either but I don't think Governor Christie is an Atheist....at least not to my knowledge......but I also don't understand why people feel there is a need for a God to explain everything that we can or cannot understand...

Then again that gets into a deep philosophical discussion on why humans feel the need to believe in some sort of higher power....
31-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah I was lost as well....I don't think any atheist blamed a god....
[+] 1 user Likes rewire's post
31-10-2012, 05:39 PM
(31-10-2012 05:19 PM)rewire Wrote:  There are things that Christians do and I'm sure everyone has their own pet peeves but one of them was something I heard Governor Chris Christie say today that really makes my ass itch. He was talking about the storm that hit New Jersey and he, of course, had to include God into his speech and said, "Not a lot of human lives were lost and we thank God for being there and sparing the majority of lives".....

Ok. So basically people thank God for sparing lives and just what about those that lost theirs? Is that just free will? Or is that a part of God's grand plan because he gets super busy sparing some lives but not the 50 people killed? Or perhaps those 50 that were harmed really just deserved it?

And if there is a God so powerful then why was there a storm in the first place? Ohhhh I know...it's because we just can't explain how amazing and powerful he is. lol.

/end of rant

I'm with you on this one, makes my ass itch too (I've heard there's a cream for it though).

However, I think Chris Christie may be a bad example being that he is a politician. It's difficult in his context to tell which aspects to his faith (if he really has one) are genuine. In his position, he has an entire constituency to pander to. So nobody, except perhaps for folks who know him personally, can say with much confidence whether he says things like that from the heart or from strategy.

31-10-2012, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2012 09:56 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(31-10-2012 05:34 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I honestly don't get how atheist can blame a God they believe is fictional for a natural disaster. I also honestly don't understand how Christians can give credit to a God they know very little about for sparing them. God doesn't work that way.

There was no Adam and Eve. Genetics, and DNA have 100 % disproven that any literal consideration of that is 100 % impossible. In the myth, the woman and the man did not "reject" anything. They attempted to "become like gods". Rejection had nothing to do with it. Anyway, The Theist does not believe in heaven or hell, or souls or afterlife. So not only is he wasting his life, he doesn't even get the sucker at the end like all the rest of the theists.
God doesn't "talk". Gods acting in a temporal dimension refutes there eternal, (timeless ) nature. You'll have to forgive The Theist. He's still at 3rd Grade Philosophy and Theology.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
31-10-2012, 05:59 PM
(31-10-2012 05:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

There was no Adam and Eve. Genetics, and DNA have 100 % disproven that any literal consideration of that is 100 % impossible. In the myth, the woman and the man did not "reject" anything. They attempted to "become like gods". Rejection had nothing to do with it. Anyway, The Theist does not believe in heaven or hell, or souls or afterlife. So no only is he wasting his life, he doesn't even get the sucker at the end like all the rest of the theists.
God doesn't "talk". Gods acting in a temporal dimension refutes there eternal, (timeless ) nature. You'll have to forgive The Theist. He's still at 3rd Grade Philosophy and Theology.

Not to mention he can't think straight because he wants to fuck men, but thinks he'll be an abomination if he does.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-10-2012, 05:59 PM
(31-10-2012 05:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You'll have to forgive The Theist.

Is it really compulsory?

31-10-2012, 06:24 PM
You know, this isn't a pet peeve of mine when most people do it. I'm perfectly willing to take "thank God" as an idiom. I don't examine it deeply. Someone's expressing happiness that things weren't worse, albeit in language that I wouldn't use literally, and that don't bother me at all.

Christians who actually thank God for not beating on them more than He did... eh, no skin off my nose. It's warped and twisted but doesn't harm me in the slightest.

Now politicians doing that simply to show off they're being religious in hopes of getting more votes, THAT peeves me off. Can't say if Governor Christie had that motivation in this case. But in generally, it skews the vote towards irrelevant issues, gives religion a stage it isn't entitled to... and really, when he said "we thank God for" he obviously wasn't speaking for any Jersey atheists which he is supposed to represent. (Probably missed, say, any Jersey Shinto as well.) People in a position as representative of constituents should actually question whether they're representing they're constituents.

Also, what ever happened to going away by yourself to pray, and public prayer being hypocritical?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail