Christian Annoyances Part 1

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2012, 06:42 PM
RE: Christian Annoyances Part 1
It always makes me roll my eyes a bit when a Christian from one denomination will criticize another denomination for their practices. For example, my parents, both Lutherans, think Catholicism's transubstantiation is "a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo". To me, whether you're eating the flesh of your god literally or figuratively isn't important, both are equally insane.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes thirdangletheory's post
31-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, since this has all started about Sandy and theists, I'll post this here for your wonderment.

So I was browsing the hundreds of photos and comments showing the devastation of my home state when I came across this infuriating little gem:

Barb C****> Severe NJ Weather Yesterday at 4:31pm near Milwaukee, WI  · "Prayers are needed. If the entire country prays in whatever way each of us does, it will help"

My response:

"Time, energy, money, cooperation, blood, sweat and tears are what's needed. We need to respect and support our local law enforcement, rescue, power, phone and reconstruction staff. Everyone needs to remember that they're not the center of the universe and that repair and relief efforts are being handled as safely and efficiently as possible. It will take time to restore; be good to each other; be gracious to those who need your help and from whom you accept help."

Aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Percepticon's post
31-10-2012, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2012 08:20 PM by Logisch.)
Things that irk me, mostly about my family (who are lots of YECs):

- Ignoring any mainstream, peer reviewed science because it contradicts their views
- Cherrypicking science that only agrees with them and ignoring any other part of even THAT science that is contradicting
- Trying to push their bullshit pseudoscience on others so they can maintain their worldview
- Treating other human beings as piles of shit because the bible tells them to
- Making decisions for voting without doing research only because said candidate is religious.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
02-11-2012, 08:09 AM
(31-10-2012 05:34 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I honestly don't get how atheist can blame a God they believe is fictional for a natural disaster. I also honestly don't understand how Christians can give credit to a God they know very little about for sparing them. God doesn't work that way.

In Eden Adam and Eve were protected, they rejected that protection and were removed from that place. In rejecting God Adam said, more or less, that he wanted to do things his way, and God said, okay. For a little while so you can see.

Atheist continue to reject him and still blame him. Its nonsensical.

I'd personally like to thank William Lane Criag for joining us here. A point was made by someone and in TYPICAL WLC fashion they do the 'duck & divert' method. Fox News also loves this approach. Instead of actually addressing the comment, some counter FAUX argument is landed that totally derails the discussion.
Since WLC decided to bring up how Adam and Eve were protected...why wasnt god protecting Adam's first wife..Lilith?? Hmmm? Lilith predates Eve....and Eve proved to be a worthless dumb bitch by snooping around the garden. Did GOD not get it right the first time?? HMMM?
As for Christie thanking god...i see it (sadly) as a common 'catch all' phrase...kinda like "Bless you" when someone sneezes. If i slip up and say Bless You...do i HONESTLY think that a spirit has left that person and they need a blessing to sheild them from reinfestation? NOPE!
Hell, if i get in a near accident and scream "OH GOD" does that necessarily mean i belive in a god, any god? Not a chance!
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
(31-10-2012 06:42 PM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  It always makes me roll my eyes a bit when a Christian from one denomination will criticize another denomination for their practices. For example, my parents, both Lutherans, think Catholicism's transubstantiation is "a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo". To me, whether you're eating the flesh of your god literally or figuratively isn't important, both are equally insane.
Yeah, as a former southern baptist... we saw Cathoics as UNSAVED, we saw Church of Christ as a cult...and Pentecostals were trying hard to do the right thing but were obviously possessed by a lower demon.
Another thing that drives me nuts is the "Yes for Tongues" or "No For Tongues". They cant decide if tongues are in or out..most cant decide on Pre or Post rapture. But at the end they all feel if they get the JC part correct all else is unimportant...NON of them are asking why wasn't our almighty god a bit clearer? Why did he waste pages and pages of text on dimensions of arc or temple or boat or census? But thats Christians for ya....eyes shut and brains off.
02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
(31-10-2012 05:34 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I honestly don't get how atheist can blame a God they believe is fictional for a natural disaster. I also honestly don't understand how Christians can give credit to a God they know very little about for sparing them. God doesn't work that way.

In Eden Adam and Eve were protected, they rejected that protection and were removed from that place. In rejecting God Adam said, more or less, that he wanted to do things his way, and God said, okay. For a little while so you can see.

No atheist is blaming any gods for anything. How do you come up with this nonsense?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-11-2012, 09:53 AM
(31-10-2012 07:05 PM)Percepticon Wrote:  Well, since this has all started about Sandy and theists, I'll post this here for your wonderment.

So I was browsing the hundreds of photos and comments showing the devastation of my home state when I came across this infuriating little gem:

Barb C****> Severe NJ Weather Yesterday at 4:31pm near Milwaukee, WI · "Prayers are needed. If the entire country prays in whatever way each of us does, it will help"

My response:

"Time, energy, money, cooperation, blood, sweat and tears are what's needed. We need to respect and support our local law enforcement, rescue, power, phone and reconstruction staff. Everyone needs to remember that they're not the center of the universe and that repair and relief efforts are being handled as safely and efficiently as possible. It will take time to restore; be good to each other; be gracious to those who need your help and from whom you accept help."

Aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!
Oh, my yes. When the power was restored to my home, I thanked the power company. Their crews were (and still are) working 16-hour days to get the power back on to everyone. They're the ones working their hinders off to help people. I thank people who are volunteering or donating to help those less fortunate, and people who get power back and put extension cords outside their yard so folks who still have no power can at least charge their mobile devices and stuff. The people to thank are PEOPLE. Real people. Not mythological figures.

I'll see your aaaaarrrgghh and raise you a heartfelt rar. :/

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 2 users Like calmblueocean's post
02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
(02-11-2012 08:09 AM)Denicio Wrote:  

I'd personally like to thank William Lane Criag for joining us here. A point was made by someone and in TYPICAL WLC fashion they do the 'duck & divert' method. Fox News also loves this approach. Instead of actually addressing the comment, some counter FAUX argument is landed that totally derails the discussion.
Since WLC decided to bring up how Adam and Eve were protected...why wasnt god protecting Adam's first wife..Lilith?? Hmmm? Lilith predates Eve....and Eve proved to be a worthless dumb bitch by snooping around the garden. Did GOD not get it right the first time?? HMMM?
As for Christie thanking god...i see it (sadly) as a common 'catch all' phrase...kinda like "Bless you" when someone sneezes. If i slip up and say Bless You...do i HONESTLY think that a spirit has left that person and they need a blessing to sheild them from reinfestation? NOPE!
Hell, if i get in a near accident and scream "OH GOD" does that necessarily mean i belive in a god, any god? Not a chance!
As regards the language and use of the word God or "bless you" and the like, I too regard it as a purely habitual, linguistic, or socially normal thing to do. I still use the word 'god' in expressions of surprise, exasperation, etc. And I've never been comfortable saying "Bless You" in English. Even years before I became an agnostic, I just felt odd saying it. Thinking about it, it may be something to do with the fact I don't feel I have the power to 'bless' anyone (though I assume it's meant to be short for "May God bless you" or something like that. I do say "Gesundheit", which basically, as far as I know, means "Good health" or something similar. For a while I thought it was a translation for "God bless you" and I had switched to "Sante", which means 'health' in French. But it doesn't, so I switched back.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
(31-10-2012 05:34 PM)The Theist Wrote:  In Eden Adam and Eve were protected, they rejected that protection and were removed from that place. In rejecting God Adam said, more or less, that he wanted to do things his way, and God said, okay. For a little while so you can see.
Where do you get that? They didn't reject him, more, less, or even at all.

God made a garden. He put Adam and Eve in it. He made them completely innocent with no knowledge of good or evil, right or wrong. Then he made a tree with tempting juicy fruit and told them not to eat it or they would surely die. But they didn't understand death because nothing ever died in Eden, and they didn't understand right and wrong (need to eat from that tree to understand this).

So with no concept of right and wrong and no knowledge of death, Adam and Eve didn't know what they were doing when they ate that juicy, tempting fruit.

They weren't rejecting anything. Adam wasn't "doing things his way". He didn't even know what 'his way" was until he ate that fruit - before that, there were no consequences for doing anything they ever did.

It's no different than when a little bitty puppy tries, for the very first time, to eat your sandwich - you haven't taught him that this is wrong, so he just simply wants to fill his belly and doesn't understand that he shouldn't do it.

Your whole premise is unfounded. The bible doesn't say anything about what you wrote here. You probably just heard some preacher talking about this stuff (that he totally made up) and believed it like you believe all the other crap you take on faith. But if you actually read Genesis, and actually think (I know, I said a bad word there), really think about what it might have meant to be completely innocent with no concept of death and no concept of right and wrong, you will quickly see that were not doing anything but satisfying their curiosity.

They were just being like that little puppy.

And God definitely did NOT say "OK, try it your way for a little while so you can see". He kicked them out, forever, and subjected them to hard labor and painful maternal labor and loss of their immortality, as well as condemning all their descendants for all time to eternal damnation. That is definitely NOT trying it for a little while so they could see.

Disclaimer: Of course the whole story is just crappy fiction so I'm pissing in the wind here, but if we're going to piss in the wind, we should at least understand what we're pissing about.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Christian Annoyances Part 1
I also have tried to get into the habit of saying "salud" instead of bless you. Also means "health". Gesundheit can be a mouthful, and my grandfather used to jokingly say "Goes in tight!" all the time so it's hard for me to say without a chuckle sometimes, which can be awkward.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum