Christian Apologetics - 'Mad, Bad, or God'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2015, 09:24 AM
RE: Christian Apologetics - 'Mad, Bad, or God'
(15-02-2015 04:21 PM)mordant Wrote:  Lewis' "logic" falls apart unless you accept the implicit assumption that the gospel accounts are accurate, first person historically valid accounts of Jesus' claims --

I don't think it's implicit. I think that is the stated premise.

(15-02-2015 04:21 PM)mordant Wrote:  If I claimed to be divine, would you not call me both a liar AND a lunatic?

That's where Hitchens ended up.

(15-02-2015 09:15 PM)viking Wrote:  But if you dialogue with them, you see their enthusiasm and commitment, and then make point upon point, and you have to temporarily accept something as true for argument sake- ...

Yep. That seems to be the starting point.

(15-02-2015 09:15 PM)viking Wrote:  ... eventually switches fire in your mind and you don't know where you are or what you believe.

Nah. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ... I can suppose for the sake of argument that earmuffs is not a cunt, for example.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 10:36 PM
(16-02-2015 06:50 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  In general, the point is to keep from losing believers. Most apologetics are not very convincing to someone who doesn't either already believe or isn't really looking to believe.

Well Hell, I knew that. As I have told my wife in this awful book we are reading together, it was written for people like her. Folks who don't understand the science or arguments and are not going to fact check since they already agree with the conclusion.

(16-02-2015 06:50 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's a hand wave to actually stop discussion. It's no different than "mysterious ways" or any of the other arguments to say "it doesn't make sense, but I believe it anyway". It is literally an admission that it doesn't make any sense.

Huh, I hadn't actually thought of it like that. Good point. I'll have to pull that one out next time someone lobs that at me. I'll just fire back with that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
18-02-2015, 10:40 PM
I used to think that "apologetics" meant Christians were making excuses for how poorly written their divinely inspired word was...

And they like that word...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces