Christian Apologists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Christian Apologists
Biblical Apologist, Christian Apologist, The term in itself sounds bad.

I mean... Once you start having to apologize for a stupid idea don't you think its time to let it go and move on to something that makes more sense...

Thats all I have to say about this.

Smile

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
RE: Christian Apologists
Except that the word "apologist" isn't used in the sense of, "I'm sorry" in this context.

APOLOGIST
: one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something
Merriam-Webster

Apologist means defender. Someone who advocates for, say, legalizing marijuana, is a marijuana apologist.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
11-06-2011, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 07:24 AM by DeepThought.)
Yeah, I realise that. It's just a bad sounding name. I would not call myself an apologist. There are better names. It sounds negative. Why not something like advocate?

Some 'apologists' are more about marketing than about defending against arguments. You maximise your conversions if you minimise time argueing and just make wild unsupported claims.

Edit..

Yeah, this wasn't really a serious thread. I should have been more thorough/picky...
When I hear the word 'apologist' it just triggers something in my brain and I start feeling sick. It has something to do with some people I encountered on YouTube. Bible scholar personalities that were really arrogant and condescending.

I came across one that just flat out calls you stupid for saying the bible contradicts itself. "no the bible is perfect, your just too stupid to understand it."
Just lost for words at how to respond to that sort of stuff.. There really are people that devote their lives to studying an old work of fiction. They have allot more self discipline than me in that respect. I couldn't force myself to spend all that time studying a book like that.

12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
"Women should not be allowed to vote"
and
"Men with long hair are ungodly"
these are two quotes I have seen on billboards on youtube...I would not call them apologists...just idiots.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
13-06-2011, 04:44 PM
The problem with Christian Apologists is they attempt to use their faith as evidence to convince nonbelievers that god is true. I've read books from various authors over the course of months and they always fail to prove anything. Counter arguments enter my mind as soon as I start reading their stuff. I've even read the more ridiculous and insulting books by Ray Comfort, who attempts to say the bible has good science in it that predates anything in the last 500 years:

Here are some examples of the Bible's science:

Evidence of atoms: "things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." Hebrews 11:3

Radio waves: "Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?" Job 38:35

Job 38:19 "Where is the way where light dwells?" This implies electromagnetic radiation and light travelling at 186,000 mpsecond.

By talking of heavens & "highest heavens", the Bible was explaining galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

"...neither shall you eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field..." Exodus 22:31 He hails this as insight into bacterial contamination!

What nonsense!
15-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Apologist is a fine name.
Christians haven't even begun to scratch the dust on the varnish on the surface of all that they have to apologize for!

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
15-06-2011, 09:35 PM
It's an antiquated term, and they're defending an antiquated idea. It's best to show that with their language. I think the apologists would scoff at the idea of being advocates or defenders. They like their snooty old English term.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-06-2011, 06:44 AM
(15-06-2011 09:35 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  It's an antiquated term, and they're defending an antiquated idea. It's best to show that with their language. I think the apologists would scoff at the idea of being advocates or defenders. They like their snooty old English term.
I think you nailed it. That is the sort of stuff that drives me crazy. The whole 'Thou art this' and 'Thine cup floweth over that'.

Even as a christian I couldn't stand those old farts holding up their King James bibles making out like they are the Jedi Christians because they have the true frikken bible with all the old Shakespeare crap. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarh!!!!!!

Blech.... I'm dry reaching just thinking about it!

17-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone ever read Plato's Apology?

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christian Creationists change to a deistic view when arguing. Lawls 11 769 16-11-2013 03:10 PM
Last Post: Elesjei
  Women: Beautiful=Christian / Obese=atheist lesbian. reverendjeremiah 12 1,984 10-04-2012 10:45 PM
Last Post: Erxomai
  Pre-Darwin Christian art doesn't like evolution either ghostexorcist 2 688 26-02-2012 09:09 PM
Last Post: No J.
  The Big Bang, Irony, and Christian trolling.. DeepThought 26 3,414 04-07-2011 04:22 PM
Last Post: BnW