Christian Article Stumbles on Truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Christian Article Stumbles on Truth
A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook that attempts to persuade Christians of the virtues of attracting people with gentle love and kindness, rather than yelling on street corners with bullhorns. Looking for fodder for argument and because I was bored, I clicked on the link and read the article. I quickly came to this extraordinary statement:

Mystery scares us. So we, through whatever means possible, seek to find answers. And when we think we’ve found the answers we’ve been looking for, we work hard to eliminate the existence of things that disrupt those points of view.

My jaw dropped. What a profoundly true observation on the human propensity to believe and the degree to which people will go to defend those beliefs.

Knowing that my hope was in vain, I read the rest of the article, hoping to see if the author would (or even could) apply that biting observation to his beliefs. Could he possibly focus that level of insight on his own beliefs?

Of course not. If only the writer know how close he came to learning something very valuable. Amazing how often we can't apply sharp observations away from others and onto ourselves.

Link to full article: http://www.colenesmith.com/2014/04/why-t...mfortable/

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post
27-04-2014, 01:44 AM
RE: Christian Article Stumbles on Truth
(26-04-2014 03:10 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook that attempts to persuade Christians of the virtues of attracting people with gentle love and kindness, rather than yelling on street corners with bullhorns. Looking for fodder for argument and because I was bored, I clicked on the link and read the article. I quickly came to this extraordinary statement:

Mystery scares us. So we, through whatever means possible, seek to find answers. And when we think we’ve found the answers we’ve been looking for, we work hard to eliminate the existence of things that disrupt those points of view.

My jaw dropped. What a profoundly true observation on the human propensity to believe and the degree to which people will go to defend those beliefs.

Knowing that my hope was in vain, I read the rest of the article, hoping to see if the author would (or even could) apply that biting observation to his beliefs. Could he possibly focus that level of insight on his own beliefs?

Of course not. If only the writer know how close he came to learning something very valuable. Amazing how often we can't apply sharp observations away from others and onto ourselves.

Yes... I think to varying degrees we're all guilty of this. We need to be open-minded.

I can even take this argument a little bit further. There are some issues which may be true for one person, yet not true for another. In situations like this concordance comes when we can except the viewpoints of others.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
28-04-2014, 08:00 AM
(26-04-2014 03:10 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  Mystery scares us. So we, through whatever means possible, seek to find answers. And when we think we’ve found the answers we’ve been looking for, we work hard to eliminate the existence of things that disrupt those points of view.

Of course not.

Ah, yes. Compartmentalization at its finest.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
29-04-2014, 10:44 AM
(26-04-2014 03:10 PM)TheMrBillShow Wrote:  A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook that attempts to persuade Christians of the virtues of attracting people with gentle love and kindness, rather than yelling on street corners with bullhorns. Looking for fodder for argument and because I was bored, I clicked on the link and read the article. I quickly came to this extraordinary statement:

Christians have a long history of accepting only those ideas which make them happy. In "The Will to Believe" William James put it this way:
"Now, I wish to make you feel, if I can in the short remainder of this hour, that we have a right to believe the physical order to be only a partial order; that we have a right to supplement it by an unseen spiritual order which we assume on trust, if only thereby life may seem to us better worth living again."

Some words of wisdom concerning the truth:

The only people who are mad at you for speaking the truth are those who are living a lie.

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear.

Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth, because they don't want their illusions destroyed. - Nietsche

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived, and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic. - JFK
29-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Part of that quote I agree with but I kinda think people are very attracted to mystery and even want it in their lives. The stuff religious people can't explain is explained by "God works in mysterious ways" and that a sufficient enough explanation for them.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.