"Christian Atheists"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 12:59 PM
"Christian Atheists"
Double U, Tee, Eff?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 01:04 PM
RE: "Christian Atheists"
(25-01-2016 12:59 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Double U, Tee, Eff?

GirlyMan likes that term; I don't.

I think it is self-contradictory and downright silly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Is a Christian Atheist someone who likes what Jesus had to say about all the love and brotherhood stuff but understands nevertheless that he was a fictitious character?

If some atheists want to apply a label to themselves to indicate which religion they rejected to reach atheism power to them if they think there's any value in that.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
25-01-2016, 01:16 PM
I've not heard the term before. Any context?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
25-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Great idea. Money from all sides. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
25-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Here's a link:
wikipedia article

Quote:Christian atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the transcendent or interventionist God is rejected or absent in favor of finding God totally in the world (Thomas J. J. Altizer) or following Jesus in a Godless world (William Hamilton). Hamilton's Christian atheism is similar to Jesuism.

Thomas Ogletree, Frederick Marquand Professor of Ethics and Religious Studies at Yale Divinity School, lists these four common beliefs:

1.The assertion of the unreality of God for our age, including the understandings of God which have been a part of traditional Christian theology

2.The insistence upon coming to grips with contemporary culture as a necessary feature of responsible theological work

3.Varying degrees and forms of alienation from the church as it is now constituted

4.Recognition of the centrality of the person of Jesus in theological reflection

There's more in the article, but I don't want to do the copy-paste-text-wall.

It looks like it's the idea of following christ's teachings without believing in his divinity.

However said teachings are contradictory, unreliably documented and the authority for the teachings is entirely divine.

Am I correct?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
25-01-2016, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2016 01:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't find it silly as Chas. It basically completely rejects the divinity of Jesus but says The Golden Rule is a worthwhile theological reflection. Most posit that God never existed but some posit God is dead. I don't see them as any sillier than Buddhist atheists, or Jewish atheists.

They sound like nonsecular humanists to me. "Every man today who is open to experience knows that God is absent, but only the Christian knows that God is dead, that the death of God is a final and irrevocable event, and that God's death has actualized in our history a new and liberated humanity" - Altizer

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-01-2016, 01:36 PM
But, doesn't the definition of Christianity make it mutually exclusive from atheism (by definition)?

A Jewish atheist would be somebody who practices Jewish culture while not believing in a god. I don't quite see it the same because I've always understood that Jewish culture/heritage and Judaism are separate. Do people ever talk about atheistic Judaism? Really, I don't know the answer to that.

Buddhist atheism seems more like a technical term than a position. In that not all forms (or maybe most or all forms?) of Buddhism involve belief in a deity, so technically they are atheist. So one could say I am Buddhist and my beliefs don't involve a deity, so technically I am atheist as well.

But to say one is Christian, how can you tack on, "but also I am atheist"? That's like saying, "I am shorter than 4 feet, but also taller than 4 feet". The two definitions don't mesh. You could say you believe a figure named Jesus existed, and he had a few nice things to say that you believe are true, but you don't believe he was the son of god or that a god exists. But what is Christian about that?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
25-01-2016, 01:52 PM
(25-01-2016 01:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  But, doesn't the definition of Christianity make it mutually exclusive from atheism (by definition)?

Why should it? It's basically just a code of ethics without admitting any divine inspiration of said ethics.

(25-01-2016 01:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  A Jewish atheist would be somebody who practices Jewish culture while not believing in a god. I don't quite see it the same because I've always understood that Jewish culture/heritage and Judaism are separate. Do people ever talk about atheistic Judaism? Really, I don't know the answer to that.

Aliza has spoken of it several times.

(25-01-2016 01:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Buddhist atheism seems more like a technical term than a position. In that not all forms (or maybe most or all forms?) of Buddhism involve belief in a deity, so technically they are atheist. So one could say I am Buddhist and my beliefs don't involve a deity, so technically I am atheist as well.

How is that any different from a Christian atheist?

(25-01-2016 01:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  But to say one is Christian, how can you tack on, "but also I am atheist"? That's like saying, "I am shorter than 4 feet, but also taller than 4 feet". The two definitions don't mesh. You could say you believe a figure named Jesus existed, and he had a few nice things to say that you believe are true, but you don't believe he was the son of god or that a god exists. But what is Christian about that?

The fact that the code of ethics ascribed to Jesus is central to their way of living. I really don't see any inconsistencies here.

#sigh
25-01-2016, 01:53 PM
(25-01-2016 01:36 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  A Jewish atheist would be somebody who practices Jewish culture while not believing in a god.

Actually, I believe the term is cultural Jew.

I've known a few who go out of their way to keep kosher and keep the traditions alive without the claptrap of belief.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post