Christian Bullshit 101

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Christian Bullshit 101
An exciting new course for everyone to study. It's called Christian Bullshit 101. Once you've taken all of the courses here you'll be able to refute anything they toss at you under the guise of 'apologetics' when we all know it's 'bullshit' The first video explores their strawman about us having to interpret their bible 'in context'

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 07:23 PM
RE: Christian Bullshit 101
(03-04-2013 02:22 PM)raoul116 Wrote:  An exciting new course for everyone to study. It's called Christian Bullshit 101. Once you've taken all of the courses here you'll be able to refute anything they toss at you under the guise of 'apologetics' when we all know it's 'bullshit' The first video explores their strawman about us having to interpret their bible 'in context'

Hi...you are very articulate. My 2c worth...I only got through the first 3 minutes because it seems to be about your debate with someone...that's not particularly interesting to an unrelated third party. I wanted to hear about "Christian bullshit" but I'd turned off before you got around to it. ps I know how hard it is to make an attractive video...I've (almost) given up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 06:32 AM
(05-04-2013 07:23 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 02:22 PM)raoul116 Wrote:  An exciting new course for everyone to study. It's called Christian Bullshit 101. Once you've taken all of the courses here you'll be able to refute anything they toss at you under the guise of 'apologetics' when we all know it's 'bullshit' The first video explores their strawman about us having to interpret their bible 'in context'

Hi...you are very articulate. My 2c worth...I only got through the first 3 minutes because it seems to be about your debate with someone...that's not particularly interesting to an unrelated third party. I wanted to hear about "Christian bullshit" but I'd turned off before you got around to it. ps I know how hard it is to make an attractive video...I've (almost) given up.
If you had more patience or merely fast forwarded a minute or 2 more, you would have seen the relevancy.

"that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" Christopher Hitchens
07-04-2013, 06:53 PM
(06-04-2013 06:32 AM)raoul116 Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 07:23 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi...you are very articulate. My 2c worth...I only got through the first 3 minutes because it seems to be about your debate with someone...that's not particularly interesting to an unrelated third party. I wanted to hear about "Christian bullshit" but I'd turned off before you got around to it. ps I know how hard it is to make an attractive video...I've (almost) given up.
If you had more patience or merely fast forwarded a minute or 2 more, you would have seen the relevancy.

ok...I'll look at it tonight (no sound on this computer)
08-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Isn't the title kinda redundant?

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
08-04-2013, 02:56 AM
(06-04-2013 06:32 AM)raoul116 Wrote:  
(05-04-2013 07:23 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi...you are very articulate. My 2c worth...I only got through the first 3 minutes because it seems to be about your debate with someone...that's not particularly interesting to an unrelated third party. I wanted to hear about "Christian bullshit" but I'd turned off before you got around to it. ps I know how hard it is to make an attractive video...I've (almost) given up.

I have to agree with Mark.

You seem to be trying to do two things here:
1. talk about this other debate
2. refute apologetics

The title suggests #2 but making people wade thorugh several minutes of #1 which almost nobody cares bout is excessive.

It's worth noting that professional book authors and publishers agree that you have at most the first 2-3 pages to get the readers' interest or they may find better things to do than read your book. In the much faster world of video, the timeshare is very short. Mere seconds, certainly less than a minute.

By way of another comparison from my field of expertise, website development, studies show we have 8 seconds to grab a potential customer's attention - he Googled for our product (any product) and a bunch of sites came up, he clicked one, if the page takes longer than 8 seconds he'll probably hit the back button and try the next site. Not everyone, but enough that it's worth having a homepage that loads in much less than 8 seconds with a few eye-catching ads and calls to action to hit other pages once we get their interest.

Your video should do the same. The CTA (call to action) that you want is the action of remaining on your video, staying interested. That means the initial content should, probably must, match the title. At the very least, get your audience hooked first with some juicy title-relevant tidbits and then get sidetracked on your rant. You could even begin your sidetrack with something like "If you liked that (referencing the juicy stuff they already got), then you'll love this, but first, let me tell you about a debate that you're gonna love and then we'll destroy some more apologetics". Or some such.

Sure, you could dismiss me as impatient, but I submit that it took longer to type up this wall of text (and I get no benefit from it) than it took to watch your video (which eventually benefited me by having decent content relevant to what I expected from the title). So no, it's not lack of patience.

You seem to like making videos. Awesome. I hope you keep making them. I hope this wall of text serves you in that capacity.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
08-04-2013, 04:35 AM
(08-04-2013 02:56 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 06:32 AM)raoul116 Wrote:  If you had more patience or merely fast forwarded a minute or 2 more, you would have seen the relevancy.

I have to agree with Mark.

You seem to be trying to do two things here:
1. talk about this other debate
2. refute apologetics

The title suggests #2 but making people wade thorugh several minutes of #1 which almost nobody cares bout is excessive.

It's worth noting that professional book authors and publishers agree that you have at most the first 2-3 pages to get the readers' interest or they may find better things to do than read your book. In the much faster world of video, the timeshare is very short. Mere seconds, certainly less than a minute.

By way of another comparison from my field of expertise, website development, studies show we have 8 seconds to grab a potential customer's attention - he Googled for our product (any product) and a bunch of sites came up, he clicked one, if the page takes longer than 8 seconds he'll probably hit the back button and try the next site. Not everyone, but enough that it's worth having a homepage that loads in much less than 8 seconds with a few eye-catching ads and calls to action to hit other pages once we get their interest.

Your video should do the same. The CTA (call to action) that you want is the action of remaining on your video, staying interested. That means the initial content should, probably must, match the title. At the very least, get your audience hooked first with some juicy title-relevant tidbits and then get sidetracked on your rant. You could even begin your sidetrack with something like "If you liked that (referencing the juicy stuff they already got), then you'll love this, but first, let me tell you about a debate that you're gonna love and then we'll destroy some more apologetics". Or some such.

Sure, you could dismiss me as impatient, but I submit that it took longer to type up this wall of text (and I get no benefit from it) than it took to watch your video (which eventually benefited me by having decent content relevant to what I expected from the title). So no, it's not lack of patience.

You seem to like making videos. Awesome. I hope you keep making them. I hope this wall of text serves you in that capacity.
No I don't dismiss any advice even criticism if given okay? Thanks for the advice and I love that Heinlein quote at the end of your reply. However I DO have alot more respect for the oldest profession since they are much more beneficial to humanity than the pulpit pimps as I call clergy. Thanks again.

08-04-2013, 04:45 AM
(08-04-2013 01:48 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  Isn't the title kinda redundant?

My apologies Diogenes - it is. LOL