Christian Counseling! Yayyyyy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Christian Counseling! Yayyyyy!
So I talked to my mom, and she wants me to go to counseling for all the crap I've been through with my dad. I obliged. And then she told me that the lady she called went to "our" church. She told me where the place that I would be going to was, and I looked into it, and the name of the place where I would be going to is Christian Counseling Services.
Censored

Though I guess this will be an interesting experiment. If I actually go, and can't get out of it, I'll be sure to share with y'all all of my stories of Christian Counseling.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
RE: Christian Counseling! Yayyyyy!
(03-02-2014 10:34 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So I talked to my mom, and she wants me to go to counseling for all the crap I've been through with my dad. I obliged. And then she told me that the lady she called went to "our" church. She told me where the place that I would be going to was, and I looked into it, and the name of the place where I would be going to is Christian Counseling Services.
Censored

Though I guess this will be an interesting experiment. If I actually go, and can't get out of it, I'll be sure to share with y'all all of my stories of Christian Counseling.

I am sorry! Does your mother know that you're an atheist and if not are you comfortable discussing it with her in an attempt to find an alternative counselor?

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
03-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Crossing my fingers that they have some skills other than prayer!
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
You could think of it less as counselling and more as 'anthropological study' Tongue You could also say that you prefer counselling with someone that you and your parents are not likely to meet socially, then before she can go find another Christian counsellor suggest someone of your own choosing ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-02-2014, 11:21 PM
(03-02-2014 11:09 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Crossing my fingers that they have some skills other than prayer!

They're fingering their crosses Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-02-2014, 11:33 PM
(03-02-2014 11:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  You could think of it less as counselling and more as 'anthropological study' Tongue You could also say that you prefer counselling with someone that you and your parents are not likely to meet socially, then before she can go find another Christian counsellor suggest someone of your own choosing ?

Yeah, that's awkward. I wouldn't want someone to potentially gossip to other people who knew me. And we all know how gossipy Christians can be.
03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Hold on.

While I'm all for holding Christians and their institutions accountable and even using ridicule to keep them in line, this is serious. If you are indeed in need of counseling, should you really be using this experience as an experiment? If you need help, get help legitimately, or at least get it from someone you will respect and take seriously. This is a very sensitive issue and will affect you for your whole life, maybe you shouldn't reduce it to fodder.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like WillHopp's post
04-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I feel for you, SB, I really do.

Listen, I am dead serious about this -- I haven't read back on your posts yet (sorry), and that's the reason I am asking this question: are you considering harming yourself?

I only ask b/c you're talking about a "counseling service", and I don't have any other information to hand yet.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
04-02-2014, 02:52 AM
I can't decide which way is wiser to err in this. On the one hand, professional counseling can be very useful and very healthy, under the right circumstances and with the right counselors. On the other hand, the wrong counselor can do a hell of a lot of damage. You've related experiences about how a family member has abused you emotionally (though that might be too strong a word). A counselor can do the same thing. A bit less pervasive at an hour per week, and a bit less close-to-home, but much more informed and aware of its effect. It's their JOB to get inside your head, and like any power, it can be abused. And she can also do her job wrong by outing you if you tell her anywhere near what she'd need to do her job right.

So, yeah, I can't say which way it's wiser to err, here. (Not that you asked for my advice, but hey, just skip it if you don't want it.) At a bare minimum, I'd suggest that you spend a lot of the first session asking her about confidentiality policies and exceptions to them. Can she talk to your mom about you, can she talk to her colleagues or pastor or husband or whatever about you? I also suggest that you ask her questions about her methodology and techniques. In particular, try to identify how much of what she does is science-based and how much of it is Bible-based. Maybe ask her in what ways Christian Counseling differs from, well, ordinary counseling.

If it comes out that it won't work out with this counselor and your mom's insistent that you get SOME counseling, maybe you could be proactive and line up your own counselor... perhaps one that charges comparable fees but, coincidentally, does not use Christianity in place of therapy.

But yeah, I'm not the one who has to make any of those calls, and my advice amounts to armchair quarterbacking. Don't know if you want suggestions or sympathy or whatever, so I'm just tossing you what I have, and you can take it or leave it based on whether you think it's useful.

I can't really sympathize, but that's only because I've never been in that sort of situation and I have no frame of reference. I can empathize, though. You've got my best hopes and if you ever want to vent to any of us... well, okay, I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd guess most of us... we're here to listen and rant right along with you.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
04-02-2014, 02:58 AM
(04-02-2014 02:52 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  I can't decide which way is wiser to err in this. On the one hand, professional counseling can be very useful and very healthy, under the right circumstances and with the right counselors. On the other hand, the wrong counselor can do a hell of a lot of damage. You've related experiences about how a family member has abused you emotionally (though that might be too strong a word). A counselor can do the same thing. A bit less pervasive at an hour per week, and a bit less close-to-home, but much more informed and aware of its effect. It's their JOB to get inside your head, and like any power, it can be abused. And she can also do her job wrong by outing you if you tell her anywhere near what she'd need to do her job right.

So, yeah, I can't say which way it's wiser to err, here. (Not that you asked for my advice, but hey, just skip it if you don't want it.) At a bare minimum, I'd suggest that you spend a lot of the first session asking her about confidentiality policies and exceptions to them. Can she talk to your mom about you, can she talk to her colleagues or pastor or husband or whatever about you? I also suggest that you ask her questions about her methodology and techniques. In particular, try to identify how much of what she does is science-based and how much of it is Bible-based. Maybe ask her in what ways Christian Counseling differs from, well, ordinary counseling.

If it comes out that it won't work out with this counselor and your mom's insistent that you get SOME counseling, maybe you could be proactive and line up your own counselor... perhaps one that charges comparable fees but, coincidentally, does not use Christianity in place of therapy.

But yeah, I'm not the one who has to make any of those calls, and my advice amounts to armchair quarterbacking. Don't know if you want suggestions or sympathy or whatever, so I'm just tossing you what I have, and you can take it or leave it based on whether you think it's useful.

I can't really sympathize, but that's only because I've never been in that sort of situation and I have no frame of reference. I can empathize, though. You've got my best hopes and if you ever want to vent to any of us... well, okay, I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd guess most of us... we're here to listen and rant right along with you.

Definitely yes, totally agree with using the first session to find out about policies and methods. There are good Christian people out there, maybe this counselor will be truly helpful.

(On a not-very-important side note you got empathy and sympathy backwards)