Christian Counseling! Yayyyyy!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 03:29 AM
RE: Christian Counseling! Yayyyyy!
On the one hand she may be a proper counsellor who just happens to be a Christian, but on the other, if the name of the place is 'Christian Counseling Services' it suggests that she will be using the Christian faith as a tool. That's not going to work on you as an atheist and it's just wasting your mother's money and everyone's time. If it is not science based then the techniques employed have not been objectively evaluated so you may end up with someone who thinks they get results by uncovering repressed memories and who does not realise that they are actually giving their patients false memories.

It sounds like your mother doesn't know that you are an atheist. If she did and she still chose something called the 'Christian Counseling Services' then it rings even more alarm bells. If you go and it doesn't work out then your mother will be less inclined to send you off to somewhere that might actually help.

Do you actually want to go to counselling though? If yes then find somewhere that you want to go and refuse to go to the 'On the one hand she may be a counsellor who just happens to be a Christian, but on the other, if the name of the place is 'Christian Counseling Services' it suggests that they will be using the Christian faith as a tool. That's not going to work and it's just wasting your mother's money. If it is not science based then the techniques employed have not been objectively evaluated so you may end up with someone who ends up giving their patients false memories because it seems to uncover a whole load of abuse.

It sounds like your mother doesn't know that you are an atheist, because if she did and she still chose something called the 'Christian Counseling Services' then it rings even more alarm bells. If you go and it doesn't work out then your mother will be less inclined to send you off to somewhere that might actually help.

Do you actually want to go to counselling though? If yes then find somewhere that you want to go. If no, then don't go to the one suggested by your mother. If you don't actually want counselling, then just don't go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 08:45 AM
If you do end up going to this place, be up front with the councilor about your beliefs. There's a good chance the person is an actual councilor and they'll leave the religious aspect out of it if you tell them this. Also, councilors are a lot like lawyers: they can't do their job if you don't tell them the truth.

But, yeah, I'll echo a lot of the other posters: without any more info, I'd encourage you to try to set something up with someone else.
04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
(03-02-2014 10:34 PM)southernbelle Wrote:  So I talked to my mom, and she wants me to go to counseling for all the crap I've been through with my dad. I obliged. And then she told me that the lady she called went to "our" church. She told me where the place that I would be going to was, and I looked into it, and the name of the place where I would be going to is Christian Counseling Services.
Censored

Though I guess this will be an interesting experiment. If I actually go, and can't get out of it, I'll be sure to share with y'all all of my stories of Christian Counseling.

Aww shit. I just typed to you this morning in the other thread.... and didn't see THIS coming. Awwww man...........
well I still hope the counseling helps. Better than none at all.

(hug)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
04-02-2014, 10:38 AM
(04-02-2014 03:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  On the one hand she may be a proper counsellor who just happens to be a Christian, but on the other, if the name of the place is 'Christian Counseling Services' it suggests that she will be using the Christian faith as a tool. That's not going to work on you as an atheist and it's just wasting your mother's money and everyone's time. If it is not science based then the techniques employed have not been objectively evaluated so you may end up with someone who thinks they get results by uncovering repressed memories and who does not realise that they are actually giving their patients false memories.

It sounds like your mother doesn't know that you are an atheist. If she did and she still chose something called the 'Christian Counseling Services' then it rings even more alarm bells. If you go and it doesn't work out then your mother will be less inclined to send you off to somewhere that might actually help.

Do you actually want to go to counselling though? If yes then find somewhere that you want to go and refuse to go to the 'On the one hand she may be a counsellor who just happens to be a Christian, but on the other, if the name of the place is 'Christian Counseling Services' it suggests that they will be using the Christian faith as a tool. That's not going to work and it's just wasting your mother's money. If it is not science based then the techniques employed have not been objectively evaluated so you may end up with someone who ends up giving their patients false memories because it seems to uncover a whole load of abuse.

It sounds like your mother doesn't know that you are an atheist, because if she did and she still chose something called the 'Christian Counseling Services' then it rings even more alarm bells. If you go and it doesn't work out then your mother will be less inclined to send you off to somewhere that might actually help.

Do you actually want to go to counselling though? If yes then find somewhere that you want to go. If no, then don't go to the one suggested by your mother. If you don't actually want counselling, then just don't go.

Mathilda is right. If they are "counseling" from their christian faith (and from the name of the place, I'm guessing they are), then they really aren't going to be able to help you, particularly if the problems you are having with your dad are due to your rejection of faith.

My first bout of depression and anxiety was when I still thought I was a believer, and I went to a "christian counselor". It was nothing but bible-based answers like "here - memorize and meditate on these scriptures", "pray more", "get more involved in your church" - not delving in to the root of anything - just ask god to help. It didn't help, of course, but I found my way through, a little. I realize now I was already having doubts, but discussing them would have just resulted in his trying to convince me faith was the answer. It never had a chance at being successful.

By the next time it hit, I had rejected religion, and I found a real psychologist (and psychiatrist - I needed the help of meds for a while), and this really helped. She helped me get to the root of a lot of it, and much of it was my lifetime in conservative, fundamentalist religion.

Sooo - if you are really interested in therapy, you really should tell your mom you want to go to a licensed psychologist or therapist who is not affiliated with your church (or religion in general). If you haven't "come out", use the social interaction angle as others have suggested.
[+] 4 users Like meremortal's post
04-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Mathilda makes great points. Unless the 'counseling' style includes turning to God, it may be good thing. A good counselor is a good counselor if they help you. It won't hurt to talk to her. She may also be able to explain to your mother why you just can't get over depression.

Good luck and go in with an open mind.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy