Christian Counseling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Christian Counseling
Recently I suffered a concussion that caused the onset of sever migraines. They started out rare, but have built to be a daily occurrence. My neurologist suggested "chronic illness therapy" to manage stress and things of that nature from missing half of my school time. Sadly their only office is down town, a traffic fill drive from my home. In search for a closer therapist my father found "Christian based counseling". The issue with this is I don't want my therapist telling me that God is the answer, I despise that kind of thinking, the thought that a figment of your imagination can cure all your problems. I want real ways to deal with my depression from migraines and stress, not wishful praying. I don't know how to tell my parents I want a real therapist, not someone who's treatment is most likely " god will handle your problems just don't worry about it" how do I go about telling them this without hinting that I'm an atheist? I don't want to make them angry or upset considering my brother is an atheist as well, and they have knowledge of this. I don't want them to feel like they have lost both of their children's faith in god.

Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
RE: Christian Counseling
You live with parents ?

Go to one or two sessions, tell them the Christees aren't helping, then gap it for the nearest secular alternative ? Not sure what to suggest. The Christees might be nice people - but you could also draw attention to the fact that 'chronic illness therapy' and 'Christian based counselling' are two different things - after all the neuro dude didn't recommend a prolonged session of atoning for your sins, he recommended this particular therapy...

How often do you need to go ? Could be cheaper and easier to just go once a month to the illness therapy crowd, and put up with the traffic.
25-03-2013, 03:37 PM
I can so relate to what you are saying about Christian therapy....have you looked at or tried to contact Recovery From Religion's Secular Therapy Project? Here is the link: http://www.seculartherapy.org/

I hope this helps or at least points you in a good direction. Also, when you feel able to, I encourage you to be honest about what you think and believe (or don't believe)...even if only to the extent that you let others know you need to discover and question things out for yourself and be upfront about what you don't feel comfortable with. But again, only if this can be done safely and it won't cause YOU problems. I just know that, for me, hiding my true self and feelings can cause more problems overall than the dealing with others being confronted with the truth. Only you can determine when or if it is worth it and safe to do so. I hope you find the support you need, and keep reaching out in this way. Thumbsup
27-03-2013, 08:43 AM
(04-03-2013 09:01 PM)sailtheworld Wrote:  Recently I suffered a concussion that caused the onset of sever migraines. They started out rare, but have built to be a daily occurrence. My neurologist suggested "chronic illness therapy" to manage stress and things of that nature from missing half of my school time. Sadly their only office is down town, a traffic fill drive from my home. In search for a closer therapist my father found "Christian based counseling". The issue with this is I don't want my therapist telling me that God is the answer, I despise that kind of thinking, the thought that a figment of your imagination can cure all your problems. I want real ways to deal with my depression from migraines and stress, not wishful praying. I don't know how to tell my parents I want a real therapist, not someone who's treatment is most likely " god will handle your problems just don't worry about it" how do I go about telling them this without hinting that I'm an atheist? I don't want to make them angry or upset considering my brother is an atheist as well, and they have knowledge of this. I don't want them to feel like they have lost both of their children's faith in god.

Thanks for your help.

How is the concussion? Its best you come out about being an atheist even if it upsets your parents. Truth is one of the foundations of atheism isn't it?
27-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I am not in your shoes and I can only guess what it must be like to feel like you have to live a lie regarding your parents and atheism, but it's my opinion that you only get one shot at health. Whatever damage to your relationship with your parents might happen by outing your atheism, you can probably fix that or learn to live with that - it might change your life, maybe even for the worse, but you can live with it. However, losing your health can ultimately kill you, or cause so much pain and suffering that life becomes a burden rather than a joy. So my advice is to fix your health, whatever it takes, even if it means outing your atheism, and then, when you have good health, deal with the fallout of the other thing.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
27-03-2013, 09:33 AM
You need this taken care of by a serious therapist, the quality of your life depends on it. Don't be a martyr!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post