Christian Doctors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 11:43 AM
RE: Atheist Doctors
(07-11-2012 11:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 11:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I was at the hospital tonight because a family member has been pounding on death's door for about the past decade, and just in the last couple of weeks, that door has started to open. (I'm not worried about it, so don't trouble yourselves with condolences) Just a few hours ago, he was transported out of town to the ICU at a well-equipped hospital where he'll begin what will be a fruitless routine of dialysis before either his kidneys fail; the leaks in his heart finally burst; his lungs fill with fluid or his heart (which hasn't had a regular beat-pattern in months) just gives out altogether.

As I and 3 other family members stood in the small hospital room with the doctor, he began explaining how this man has about a month left in him at the most. The procedures can be carried out, but they will pretty much just serve to delay the inevitable. It was at this point that, to my shock, he began speaking about "God's will". He explained how God was putting everyone in this position, and that whatever happened from this point on is a sign from God. Being that everyone in the room - aside from myself - is devoutly religious, they all absolutely ate. it. up. There was talk of "the next life" and "interpreting God's signs" and how we as a family need to decide what God is trying to tell us in regard to the treatment.
For those of you who haven't experienced this (I'm sure many have), it's amazing how tiny you can suddenly feel in an already-cramped room full of deluded theists. Most alarming of all was this son-of-a-pastor doctor who initiated the whole "God" thing. I'm not shocked that there is a man of medicine who adheres to outdated superstitions - this happens all the time - but I was taken aback by the simple fact that I was hearing it. What's more, I nearly bit my tongue in half as I tried not to scream out "Are you fucking kidding me?!", given that the timing wouldn't have been the best for it - even by my cold, emotionless standards.

I'm appalled that we have to put up with this shit in today's world; especially in an environment where scientific medicine is supposed to reign supreme.
Sorry that happened man. I know EXACTLY how ya feel. I almost got roped into something like that. a couple weeks ago. I was at a donors dinner as my dad asked me to go with him, and I thought, "why not". It was ok, but then all of a sudden this idiot pastor stands up, and goes, totally out of the blue, "let's hold hands and have a moment of prayer". I was like WTF ! My dad looked really shocked, and looked at me like "I'm really sorry for dragging you into this". But then dad said, being a GREAT dad, "ah..excuse me, can you tell me where the rest room is, Bucky was wondering where the rest room was ? "..... he thought faster than I did. It was, and is the perfect out. Just use it as a learning experience. Next time just tell 'em ya gotta pee. It's your own way of saying "piss on it". Big Grin
Most docs in a big center would never do that crap. They might ask if you wanted to have the chaplain stop in. That's pretty unusual.
That's a great Dad indeed Bucky. Clap

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 11:47 AM
(08-11-2012 11:41 AM)Impulse Wrote:  It's not bad enough that this doctor might be speaking to atheists when he mentions "God", but he isn't even thinking about the fact that there are more gods besides the one he worships that others believe in. Also nobody questioned it. You could have a Muslim, a Christian, a Hindu, and a Jew all in the room listening to that and each would be reacting "uh huh, he's right", but not thinking he meant the same thing. Anyway, this was totally inappropriate to bring Zeus into the discussion. (Wasn't that the one he meant? Tongue )
To be in a situation like this when a doctor speaks of god...and to agree with him...and then ask him to join you in a prayer that you'd like to offer ...and start with "Oh great Galactic Overlord Xenu, we come to you now...." just to see his expression!
[+] 8 users Like Denicio's post
08-11-2012, 11:50 AM
LOL Denicio! Smile

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
08-11-2012, 02:37 PM
(08-11-2012 01:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I am an atheist doctor.
This made me realize I accidentally mistitled the thread. Lmao. I must have been tired.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 02:53 PM by Misanthropik.)
(08-11-2012 06:21 AM)thirdangletheory Wrote:  People can compartmentalize many things, and being religious while a medical doctor is probably one of the easier ones. I suspect he was familiar enough with the family to know they (except for Misanthropik of course) would be comfortable with it. I don't imagine he'd say the same thing in a group of atheists, or a different religion for that matter.

This was the first time we'd ever encountered this particular doctor. We've been in and out of hospitals for a while, but with the intention of staying a while. This was the emergency room after he collapsed.

It was odd, though; when he finished what I would amount to his little "sermon", he made it a point to shake everyone's hand. He went from person to person, putting both of his hands on theirs, and saying "God bless". When he got to me, though, he just shook my hand and didn't say anything. Later on, my sister said "Maybe you were making a bunch of faces when he was ranting about religion and didn't realize it." lol. A distinct possibility.

08-11-2012, 04:36 PM
(08-11-2012 08:58 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  She paused, blinked a couple of times, then looked up from her clipboard and squinted at me as though she were trying to look thru a dirty window. "No religion...?"

"Yes, that's right," I said, feeling pretty pissed off because I had already been dealing with this crap since elementary school. (I've always been an open atheist.)

She paused for another moment, then shrugged, made a note on her clipboard, and continued with the interview. I could tell she wanted to push the matter, but apparently she remembered that we were in a hospital, not a church, and decided to drop it. Wise choice.

Obviously, I had no objection to her asking about my religion -- it's easy to understand why a hospital would need to know that, but when I said "none", she should have just written it down and moved on. Her reaction was very unprofessional. Admittedly, open atheists were far less common back then than they are today, and there was no atheist movement, but even so, she shouldn't have reacted the way she did.
Argh. This. I think a lot of it also depends on the doctor (same goes for other staff). Last time my dad was in the hospital for a collapsed lung, I heard stuff about God a few times. He died at home, not in the hospital, so that might be another reason (he seemed better for a while in the hospital and for a while after). My brother threw a fit at the funeral because my dad was an atheist and it was in a Catholic church, but that's another issue.

But I'm also reminded of the doctor I had as a GP as a teenager. They had Jesus cross stitch stuff all over the office. Once I was in for a skin rash and the PA stopped and said a fucking prayer! I didn't want prayer, I wanted a prescription for steroid cream! And I couldn't say anything, I was a kid there with my mom, and she was paying the bill.

Then the one doctor there asked me (then age 15) if I'd ever had sex. Reasonable question. Then asked if I had had a HIV test (I had). Reasonable I guess, but I'd had sex once at that time, with only one guy, I hadn't even kissed anyone else. THEN the sonofabitch starts preaching that God only intended sex to happen within the context of marriage, blah blah sin, blah blah AIDS. WTF. I'm glad that guy's practice didn't stay in town long. And again, I didn't say anything because my mom would have freaked out on me.

I was in the hospital a month ago. They didn't ask what religion, they asked if I'd like clergy to visit. I said no. A few years back I was in a Catholic hospital, two nuns came in and gave me rosary. They were nice and about 100 years old, so I just went along with it, my family was Catholic anyway.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
08-11-2012, 04:42 PM
RE: Christian Doctors
There is a Dermatologist quack two doors down from me. He's got a reputation for getting all gooey over god during his exams. Last i heard almost ALL of the insurance companies have dropped him due to complaints. I even asked my dermatoligist about him and she said as much as she could professionally without crossing the line. Oddly i happened to be rereading Coynes book "Why evolution is true" she saw it, and said "Well, whats it say", i was a bit stunned and i gave a carefully crafted answer...then she replied "I had no idea the jury was still out on evolution, of course its true"..and i knew then that i had a skin doctor FOR LIFE!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
08-11-2012, 05:25 PM
The doctor probably knew your family member was religious and just assumed y'all were too.

It's a way of coping with the impending death.

The comment wasn't for you but for your family member. It was the best the doctor could do to offer some comfort and solace to this person and to your other family members.

It was done out of love; not malice. Let it go. The doctor was just trying to help.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
(08-11-2012 05:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The doctor probably knew your family member was religious and just assumed y'all were too.

The comment wasn't for you but for your family member. It was the best the doctor could do to offer some comfort and solace to this person and to your other family members.

It was done out of love; not malice. Let it go. The doctor was just trying to help.

You're probably right, but I'm getting pretty tired of "letting it go." Would they have returned the favor if the shoe was on the other foot?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
08-11-2012, 06:14 PM
(08-11-2012 05:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The doctor probably knew your family member was religious and just assumed y'all were too.

As I said, this was the first time we'd encountered this doctor. I know this because each time my grandfather has been sent to the hospital, I've been present.

For this reason, he had no way of knowing what we believe - if anything. Even so, it may have been done out of love, but we take people to the hospital so that they can be cured by the latest advancements in medical science. Not so we can be spoon-fed outdated mythologies because doc. thinks that God's got his finger in the control-panel of our lives. As someone else said; it's a hospital, not a church. Firefighting and police work run in my family, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lecture my fitness clients about fire safety and legal issues while I teach them proper bench-form.

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post