Christian Doctors

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Atheist Doctors
(07-11-2012 11:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 11:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I was at the hospital tonight because a family member has been pounding on death's door for about the past decade, and just in the last couple of weeks, that door has started to open. (I'm not worried about it, so don't trouble yourselves with condolences) Just a few hours ago, he was transported out of town to the ICU at a well-equipped hospital where he'll begin what will be a fruitless routine of dialysis before either his kidneys fail; the leaks in his heart finally burst; his lungs fill with fluid or his heart (which hasn't had a regular beat-pattern in months) just gives out altogether.

As I and 3 other family members stood in the small hospital room with the doctor, he began explaining how this man has about a month left in him at the most. The procedures can be carried out, but they will pretty much just serve to delay the inevitable. It was at this point that, to my shock, he began speaking about "God's will". He explained how God was putting everyone in this position, and that whatever happened from this point on is a sign from God. Being that everyone in the room - aside from myself - is devoutly religious, they all absolutely ate. it. up. There was talk of "the next life" and "interpreting God's signs" and how we as a family need to decide what God is trying to tell us in regard to the treatment.
For those of you who haven't experienced this (I'm sure many have), it's amazing how tiny you can suddenly feel in an already-cramped room full of deluded theists. Most alarming of all was this son-of-a-pastor doctor who initiated the whole "God" thing. I'm not shocked that there is a man of medicine who adheres to outdated superstitions - this happens all the time - but I was taken aback by the simple fact that I was hearing it. What's more, I nearly bit my tongue in half as I tried not to scream out "Are you fucking kidding me?!", given that the timing wouldn't have been the best for it - even by my cold, emotionless standards.

I'm appalled that we have to put up with this shit in today's world; especially in an environment where scientific medicine is supposed to reign supreme.
Sorry that happened man. I know EXACTLY how ya feel. I almost got roped into something like that. a couple weeks ago. I was at a donors dinner as my dad asked me to go with him, and I thought, "why not". It was ok, but then all of a sudden this idiot pastor stands up, and goes, totally out of the blue, "let's hold hands and have a moment of prayer". I was like WTF ! My dad looked really shocked, and looked at me like "I'm really sorry for dragging you into this". But then dad said, being a GREAT dad, "ah..excuse me, can you tell me where the rest room is, Bucky was wondering where the rest room was ? "..... he thought faster than I did. It was, and is the perfect out. Just use it as a learning experience. Next time just tell 'em ya gotta pee. It's your own way of saying "piss on it". Big Grin
Most docs in a big center would never do that crap. They might ask if you wanted to have the chaplain stop in. That's pretty unusual.

Bucky's got a Honey Badger dad. "I don't give a shit if you believe in God or not, I don't give a shit if you're gay or not, I'm your dad and I got your back." Girly's a Honey Badger dad too. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
RE: Christian Doctors
Kc, say y'all once more and your name will become sandy.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
08-11-2012, 10:38 PM
With all the doctors I dealt with during my cancer bout, I found out one way or another that pretty much all of them were Christian but I didn't ever have it brought up in conversation regarding my treatment. I probably would have had to ask them to stop if they had started anything that resembled preaching or any suggestions of prayer.

As an example, in reading one bio online, I found out one doc sang in his church choir...that's the kind of way I found out with all of them.

With all the reams of paperwork I had to fill out at various surgical centers and such, I always came upon the "what is your religious preference" question. It really didn't bother me much...I was just glad that no minister was ever sent in to see me after procedures. They either didn't do that as a general rule or they honored my preference. Either way, it was never an issue.

Nor was it an issue in dad's last few months of being in and out of hospitals and facilities. Not even when I met with his final doctor and we were discussing dad's wishes of being allowed to forego any further treatment. By that point dad was also declaring that he had no religious affiliation.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.
09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
(08-11-2012 05:35 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 05:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The doctor probably knew your family member was religious and just assumed y'all were too.

It's a way of coping with the impending death.

The comment wasn't for you but for your family member. It was the best the doctor could do to offer some comfort and solace to this person and to your other family members.

It was done out of love; not malice. Let it go. The doctor was just trying to help.

You're probably right, but I'm getting pretty tired of "letting it go." Would they have returned the favor if the shoe was on the other foot?
Probably not.

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
(08-11-2012 06:14 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 05:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The doctor probably knew your family member was religious and just assumed y'all were too.

It's a way of coping with the impending death.

The comment wasn't for you but for your family member. It was the best the doctor could do to offer some comfort and solace to this person and to your other family members.

It was done out of love; not malice. Let it go. The doctor was just trying to help.

As I said, this was the first time we'd encountered this doctor. I know this because each time my grandfather has been sent to the hospital, I've been present.

For this reason, he had no way of knowing what we believe - if anything. Even so, it may have been done out of love, but we take people to the hospital so that they can be cured by the latest advancements in medical science. Not so we can be spoon-fed outdated mythologies because doc. thinks that God's got his finger in the control-panel of our lives. As someone else said; it's a hospital, not a church. Firefighting and police work run in my family, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lecture my fitness clients about fire safety and legal issues while I teach them proper bench-form.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was out of place... it has no place whatsoever in the professional field... especially if he didn't know the family's religious beliefs. However, I can figure out the intent of someone, so I can't get mad at anyone if something was done with a pure intent. That's all I'm saying.

09-11-2012, 10:12 AM
(08-11-2012 08:24 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Kc, say y'all once more and your name will become sandy.
lol I don't even realize I'm saying/typing it. It's a constant in Southern language.

09-11-2012, 12:47 PM
(09-11-2012 10:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(08-11-2012 06:14 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  As I said, this was the first time we'd encountered this doctor. I know this because each time my grandfather has been sent to the hospital, I've been present.

For this reason, he had no way of knowing what we believe - if anything. Even so, it may have been done out of love, but we take people to the hospital so that they can be cured by the latest advancements in medical science. Not so we can be spoon-fed outdated mythologies because doc. thinks that God's got his finger in the control-panel of our lives. As someone else said; it's a hospital, not a church. Firefighting and police work run in my family, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lecture my fitness clients about fire safety and legal issues while I teach them proper bench-form.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was out of place... it has no place whatsoever in the professional field... especially if he didn't know the family's religious beliefs. However, I can figure out the intent of someone, so I can't get mad at anyone if something was done with a pure intent. That's all I'm saying.
Well, even more than that is the fact that the doctor - this man of science - not only encouraged, but actually inspired my family to view whatever happens in this case as "God's will". In other words, he encouraged us to make decisions based on religious faith, rather than on what would be most logically/medically sound. That's what gets me the most.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2012, 12:56 PM
(09-11-2012 12:47 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(09-11-2012 10:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you that it was out of place... it has no place whatsoever in the professional field... especially if he didn't know the family's religious beliefs. However, I can figure out the intent of someone, so I can't get mad at anyone if something was done with a pure intent. That's all I'm saying.
Well, even more than that is the fact that the doctor - this man of science - not only encouraged, but actually inspired my family to view whatever happens in this case as "God's will". In other words, he encouraged us to make decisions based on religious faith, rather than on what would be most logically/medically sound. That's what gets me the most.

Sounds to me like a doctor looking for an excuse should his skills not deliver the desired result. "Oh well, sorry for your loss..ya know..god's will and all". If they get to claim gods will...does that also mean they send HIM the bill too?
[+] 4 users Like Denicio's post
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
(09-11-2012 12:56 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(09-11-2012 12:47 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Well, even more than that is the fact that the doctor - this man of science - not only encouraged, but actually inspired my family to view whatever happens in this case as "God's will". In other words, he encouraged us to make decisions based on religious faith, rather than on what would be most logically/medically sound. That's what gets me the most.

Sounds to me like a doctor looking for an excuse should his skills not deliver the desired result. "Oh well, sorry for your loss..ya know..god's will and all". If they get to claim gods will...does that also mean they send HIM the bill too?
Sorry man, that's God's WILL, not God's BILL.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
09-11-2012, 06:55 PM
(07-11-2012 11:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  ... Most alarming of all was this son-of-a-pastor doctor ...
All in favor of replacing the phrase "son of a bitch" with "son of a pastor"...?

EDIT: On second thought, I much prefer Buddy The Elf's "son of a nutcracker". It has a nice cathartic sound to it. Carry on.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post