Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(17-12-2016 02:03 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I responded to SYZ's post the way that I did to highlight that assertions that fit with this forum's beliefs require no evidence. SYZ's statements were largely not provable.

If you insist on absolute proof and define your God into non-interventionist heaven then maybe, but I'd say that I and many others here have *concluded* - i.e. not just inserted another belief to replace Christianity but examined evidence - that belief in an interventionist bloodthirsty deity as described in the Bible is unreasonable.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-12-2016, 02:20 PM
(17-12-2016 01:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  Here are some questions for you OP. If you answer them we will be able to evaluate if you are a dick or not.
  • What is your Christian ™ doctrine about homosexuality? Is it evil or is it fine?
Not fine. Not evil. It is not God's best. It is an abomination because it harms the homosexual.
Quote:
  • If it is evil, is it OK for gay people who're not Christian to marry?
  • Marriage was designed by God in the Garden of Eden for Adam and Eve. Gays getting married by the state I have no problem with. It is not sanctioned by God.
    Quote:
  • What is your Christian doctrine on abortion?

• Abortion kills a child. Not a fan.
    Quote:
  • Are Catholics true Christians, are Mormons true Christians? What about baptists?

• Catholics have added a bunch of man-made traditions to there religion. What I have notice is that the traditions tend to be more important. Not saying Catholics cannot be Christian but it hard to find truth their.

Mormonism does not teach true Christianity.
    It is not consistent with the Bible.

Baptist tend to teach the Bible. They teach Christianity and salvation properly.

Salvation is personal. A Christian can come out of atheism Bahai Hindu etc. It s personal. I gave my opinion when answering this question.
    Quote:Here are some more questions for you:
    • How do you know God is real?
    I believe the world as we know shows that God must exist. The awesomeness of the Bible tells me it is His Word so we can know Him through the Bible
    Quote:
  • Where does the Bible come from, what is its provenance?

• Answered above.
    Quote:
  • You said somewhere that you can tell when stuff in the Bible has been mistranslated, can you give an example?

• I will have think on this one to find an example as it hasn't happen often. Sometimes a word gets changed that can changes the meaning.
    Quote:
  • Would you like to buy a bridge from me? Golden Gate bridge to be precise? It's said to be miraculous for getting unbelievers to convert to the true faith. 100% money back guarantee.

• Really, how much?
    17-12-2016, 02:20 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:15 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
    (17-12-2016 02:03 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  SYZ posted: • Your god (or any other imaginary gods) do not exist—other than in your own mind and/or fantasies,

Did you ask SYZ for evidence?

I responded to SYZ's post the way that I did to highlight that assertions that fit with this forum's beliefs require no evidence. SYZ's statements were largely not provable.

(17-12-2016 02:03 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  this forum's beliefs require no evidence.

Atheists don't believe a god doesn't exist, we lack belief in a god, however, you make the positive assertion that a god exists. The onus is on you to provide the evidence. The burden of proof is always, always on those who make the positive claim , so start providing the incontrovertible evidence, bub.

We'll be waiting.

Actually, I would say that the onus is on the one trying to persuade the other. It just so happens that Christians often cast themselves in the role of the proselytizer, but there has been an atheist or two who have tried to persuade me not to believe in G-d. My expectation is that they'll disprove G-d to my satisfaction, but I don't feel that I need to prove anything to them to continue my religious leanings. Smile

It still stands that the burden of proof is on Bzltyr.
    [+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
    17-12-2016, 02:25 PM
    Bzltyr, what god do you suppose you would believe in if you were born in India, or Saudi Arabia, etc.?
    17-12-2016, 02:27 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:03 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I responded to SYZ's post the way that I did to highlight that assertions that fit with this forum's beliefs require no evidence. SYZ's statements were largely not provable.

The default position is non-belief.

You say god exists. Fine. You have the burden of proof.

You want proof that god doesn't exist?

Can you prove that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist?
    What about the Tooth Fairy?
    What about Thor, Odin and Loki?
    Zeus?
    The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

We can prove the bible is unreliable.
    Personal experience is not acceptable evidence.
    That leaves what for evidence?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
    [+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
    17-12-2016, 02:35 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
    (17-12-2016 01:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  Here are some questions for you OP. If you answer them we will be able to evaluate if you are a dick or not.
    • What is your Christian ™ doctrine about homosexuality? Is it evil or is it fine?
    Not fine. Not evil. It is not God's best. It is an abomination because it harms the homosexual.
    Sigh Undecided Even if the said homosexual doesn't share your faith? I'm afraid my dick meter just clicked up a notch.

Quote:
    Quote:
  • If it is evil, is it OK for gay people who're not Christian to marry?
  • Marriage was designed by God in the Garden of Eden for Adam and Eve. Gays getting married by the state I have no problem with. It is not sanctioned by God.
    Another notch amigo. This isn't looking good. While I'm glad you recognise the separation of church and state, it still seems a pretty dick move to speak for God, when there do exist gay Christians. BTW you must be aware of old testament teachings on marriage? There's a rather entertaining infographic showing the various forms. Slavery, concubines and marrying one's rapist are all mentioned.

Quote:
    Quote:
  • What is your Christian doctrine on abortion?
  • Abortion kills a child. Not a fan.
    I'm interested in your stance on policy. If I am not a Christian, are you OK with me getting an abortion?

Quote:
    Quote:
  • Are Catholics true Christians, are Mormons true Christians? What about baptists?

• Catholics have added a bunch of man-made traditions to there religion. What I have notice is that the traditions tend to be more important. Not saying Catholics cannot be Christian but it hard to find truth their.

Mormonism does not teach true Christianity.
    It is not consistent with the Bible.

Baptist tend to teach the Bible. They teach Christianity and salvation properly.

Salvation is personal. A Christian can come out of atheism Bahai Hindu etc. It s personal. I gave my opinion when answering this question.
    Big Grin A True believer. I thought as much, but it's nice of you to confirm it.

Quote:
    Quote:Here are some more questions for you:
    • How do you know God is real?
    I believe the world as we know shows that God must exist. The awesomeness of the Bible tells me it is His Word so we can know Him through the Bible
    Quote:
  • Where does the Bible come from, what is its provenance?
  • Answered above.
    Hmm. I consider this to be too vague of an answer to both questions. I can say right back at you that the world as we know it shows that God cannot exist and that the pettiness of his alleged word shows that it is a made up tale. I was more wondering what you know of where the ancient scriptures come from and how they came to be combined into the book known as the Bible?

Quote:
    Quote:
  • Would you like to buy a bridge from me? Golden Gate bridge to be precise? It's said to be miraculous for getting unbelievers to convert to the true faith. 100% money back guarantee.
  • Really, how much?
    For you, it's free. I proclaim you the owner Smile

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
    [+] 4 users Like morondog's post
    17-12-2016, 02:43 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Not fine. Not evil. It is not God's best. It is an abomination because it harms the homosexual.

How about lobsters, shrimp and other shellfish?

(17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Marriage was designed by God in the Garden of Eden for Adam and Eve. Gays getting married by the state I have no problem with. It is not sanctioned by God.

First no law has EVER been proposed that would force a church to perform a gay marriage. If any was, then religious exemption would counter it.

Second:

[Image: lsCwFFN_zpsfethi914.jpg]

(17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  The awesomeness of the Bible tells me it is His Word so we can know Him through the Bible

You familiar with Bart Erhman?

(17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Sometimes a word gets changed that can changes the meaning.

You don't seem to have any idea of how the bible was compiled or the New Testament was written.

The New Testament was written in Ancient Greek by highly trained, eloquent scholars.

The supposed authors were illiterate Hebrew fishermen who spoke Aramaic.

There are proven mis-translations, proven forgeries and revisions.

The bible is not the word of god. It is the word of men. Men with political and social agendas as well as their own self interest not the help of a deity.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
    [+] 7 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
    17-12-2016, 02:52 PM
    Also I would like evidence that homosexuality harms the homosexual? I mean, sure, maybe a lil' buttsex is technically a bit more dangerous than normal sex due to bacteria and so forth, but I can't see a reason for a deity-inspired prohibition there. Ideally a peer-reviewed paper using a large data set showing that the well-being of homosexuals is significantly worse than that of heterosexuals.

I'd also like to know what the proposed cure for the problem is? Abstinence? Pray the gay away? Stoning (more effective than prayer I believe)?

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
    17-12-2016, 03:09 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:43 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
    (17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Not fine. Not evil. It is not God's best. It is an abomination because it harms the homosexual.

How about lobsters, shrimp and other shellfish?
    Love em. Homosexuality was addressed in the NT and eating food was addressed in NT as well.
    Quote:
    (17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  The awesomeness of the Bible tells me it is His Word so we can know Him through the Bible

You familiar with Bart Erhman?
    Spent quite a bit of time in his "Misquoting Jesus" book debating it with atheist a number of years ago.
    Quote:
    (17-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Sometimes a word gets changed that can changes the meaning.

You don't seem to have any idea of how the bible was compiled or the New Testament was written.
    Yes, I do.
    Quote:The New Testament was written in Ancient Greek by highly trained, eloquent scholars.
    This the belief in certain circles. Not proven by a long shot.
    Quote:The supposed authors were illiterate Hebrew fishermen who spoke Aramaic.
    Some of them.
    Quote:There are proven mis-translations, proven forgeries and revisions.
    Nope.
    Quote:The bible is not the word of god. It is the word of men. Men with political and social agendas as well as their own self interest not the help of a deity.

Your opinion but not fact. Is this where the burden of proof is upon you?

I was two years on a forum going through most of the alleged errors in the Bible. None changed my mind about the accuracy of the text we have today.
    17-12-2016, 03:14 PM
    (17-12-2016 02:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  Also I would like evidence that homosexuality harms the homosexual? I mean, sure, maybe a lil' buttsex is technically a bit more dangerous than normal sex due to bacteria and so forth, but I can't see a reason for a deity-inspired prohibition there. Ideally a peer-reviewed paper using a large data set showing that the well-being of homosexuals is significantly worse than that of heterosexuals.

I'd also like to know what the proposed cure for the problem is? Abstinence? Pray the gay away? Stoning (more effective than prayer I believe)?

Rom 6:16
    Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

This tells us that sin makes you a servant. Sin has its consequences. Death.

I am thinking "Pray the Gay away." It has been done. People do similar things all the time. People deny their urges all the time. Keptos learn not to steal. Pedophiles learn not to attack kids. Liars learn to tell the truth.

God loves homosexuals.