Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 02:03 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(18-12-2016 01:45 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 07:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Bzltyr was so engaged with us and then BLAM. He's gone. Was it something we said?

I was given a great gift called a life. I am not going to spend it ALL with you guys.

Yeah, it isn't like you have an eternity of bliss to look forward to. Or that we're hell-bound for all time.

It's as if I were calmly walking into a burning building and you're the fireman standing by the door handing out pamphlets on the long-term dangers of smoke inhalation.

Actions. Words. Louder Than. Blah, blah, blah.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:06 PM
(18-12-2016 01:52 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 06:56 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  So you are more knowledgeable than eminent bible scholars.

This is not just Erhman. He is simply the most prominent. This is the consensus.

The scholars translated the bible correctly and know exactly what they are talking about, until they disagree with your interpretation. Or until they bring up something that you can't handle.

As I stated before I spent a lot of time on Ehrman's book. I did not find his conclusions compelling and I was able to find numerous Bible scholars who disagreed.

[Bolding Mine]

So you had to spend a lot of time finding scholars who agreed with your bias?
18-12-2016, 02:07 PM
I am here posting the story as given to us in the Bible. I am aware that much of it will not be received by the members of this forum. I am just telling the story that I believe is true. So, if I tell the story of Balaam's ass you are not going to believe the ass stopped in the road because it saw an Angel and then told his master to shut up. I do not believe animals can talk. I believe God has the ability to speak through an ass - you probably agree with this as you think I am an ass.
Balaam's ass is part of the story - a story that I believe is true.
If you post "Animals can't talk" or "That did not happen" you are wasting time as I know you don't think that is possible.
18-12-2016, 02:09 PM
(18-12-2016 01:54 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 05:50 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  For something hypothetical you are shockingly certain of its non-existance.

I bought up the comets and the oort cloud because the Big Bang Theory became a topic. The BBT is coming under scrutiny and the existence of comets and the oort cloud are part of it.

No big deal just something an inquiring mind may want to research.

Errr... No.

Sorry, but aside from both falling under astronomy they aren't even vaguely related.

Big Bang - The beginning of the universe roughly 13.8 Billion years ago.

The Oort Cloud and comets are part of the solar system, which formed between 4.7 and 4.5 billion years ago.

There's a ~9 Billion year gap between those two events during which a whole lot of galaxy forming, star birth and death, and stellar nucleosynthesis goes on. That's going to be vital because the early universe is a seething hydrogen-helium plasma lacking any of the heavier eleents needed for making the various "ices" that comets are made of. You need a stellar triple-helium C-N-O fusion cycle for that.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:11 PM
(18-12-2016 02:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 01:52 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  As I stated before I spent a lot of time on Ehrman's book. I did not find his conclusions compelling and I was able to find numerous Bible scholars who disagreed.

[Bolding Mine]

So you had to spend a lot of time finding scholars who agreed with your bias?

Nope. There are many more scholars that think the NT historically and accurately depicts events in the first century.
18-12-2016, 02:11 PM
(18-12-2016 01:45 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 07:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Bzltyr was so engaged with us and then BLAM. He's gone. Was it something we said?

I was given a great gift called a life. I am not going to spend it ALL with you guys.

Gasp What?!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
18-12-2016, 02:13 PM
(18-12-2016 02:07 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I am here posting the story as given to us in the Bible. I am aware that much of it will not be received by the members of this forum. I am just telling the story that I believe is true. So, if I tell the story of Balaam's ass you are not going to believe the ass stopped in the road because it saw an Angel and then told his master to shut up. I do not believe animals can talk. I believe God has the ability to speak through an ass - you probably agree with this as you think I am an ass.
Balaam's ass is part of the story - a story that I believe is true.
If you post "Animals can't talk" or "That did not happen" you are wasting time as I know you don't think that is possible.

You are posting Bible stories on an atheist forum. You are wasting time as you know we don't think any of that is possible. Drinking Beverage

---
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Since you're back, have you found a way to convince me that your religion is true while Mormonism is false? Other than just jumping up and down repeating "It's true, it's true!"

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-12-2016, 02:14 PM
(18-12-2016 02:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 01:45 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I was given a great gift called a life. I am not going to spend it ALL with you guys.

Gasp What?!

I know. Shocking behaviour from somebody who believes I'm going to eternal damnation. You'd think he'd show a bit more concern for my eternal soul.

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:16 PM
(18-12-2016 02:03 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 01:45 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I was given a great gift called a life. I am not going to spend it ALL with you guys.

Yeah, it isn't like you have an eternity of bliss to look forward to. Or that we're hell-bound for all time.

It's as if I were calmly walking into a burning building and you're the fireman standing by the door handing out pamphlets on the long-term dangers of smoke inhalation.

Actions. Words. Louder Than. Blah, blah, blah.

I don't think you can get anymore obscure. I was just saying I have a family that wants to spend time with me.