Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 02:25 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(18-12-2016 02:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:18 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I just noticed that someone Liked this post. Really, all you said was "What?!"
That is a pretty low bar.

Rolleyes someone doesn't give a shit what you think is a low bar. Can you answer the questions posed to you before, Mr Evangelist? Since you're here and apparently have time on your hands.

I have some time. I am trying to answer what I can get to. You may have noticed I am juggling a few different issues here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2016, 02:26 PM
(18-12-2016 02:20 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Just using that as an example.
Do I have to explain everything in excruciating detail or can expect some of you to use a little critical thinking.

Oh, wait.

What?!

How about using some critical thinking about your god, sickness and sin?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
18-12-2016, 02:27 PM
(18-12-2016 02:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:07 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  You are posting Bible stories on an atheist forum. You are wasting time as you know we don't think any of that is possible. Drinking Beverage

Just using that as an example.
Do I have to explain everything in excruciating detail or can expect some of you to use a little critical thinking.

Oh, wait.

What?!

Just so you know, the foundation of my thought is fundamentally NOT Christian. There are also people here who, through having been raised atheist, lack a Christian mode of thinking.

I find it fascinating to explore the differences of thought between Jews, Christians and atheists. It's hard not to assume your own foundation applies to others, but as you get to know a more diverse group of people, this conclusion is difficult to evade. We do, on the most basic level, process information differently.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
18-12-2016, 02:27 PM
(18-12-2016 02:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Really makes you wonder what this great "gift" of life is really about. All it seems to do is consign some souls to eternal damnation. You'd think that creating souls in heaven might be a bit more effective. Gotta wonder at the mind set of this deity of his. Seems like a bit of a BDSM freak.

Holy shit! I said "a life" you know get out of bed - go to work - go work on my car - talk to the kids. You know a life. Get it?
18-12-2016, 02:28 PM
(18-12-2016 02:18 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Gasp What?!

I just noticed that someone Liked this post. Really, all you said was "What?!"

Seriously? You're getting pissy because I liked Aliza's joke? Has it ever passed through your platy little skull that value of a post isn't necessarily proportional to its length?

Brevity is the essence of wit.

And if it's such a low bar how is it that you have such a hard time jumping it?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:31 PM
(18-12-2016 02:18 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Gasp What?!

I just noticed that someone Liked this post. Really, all you said was "What?!"

We're a family here. We support each other. You're still on the outside, but who knows! Maybe you'll find yourself on the inside one day. For now, you'll have to respect that my friends support the things I say and think, and I support them for the way they think, and for the things they say.

Edit: Respect is what I meant by saying "support", and that is not agreement. It's just respect.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
18-12-2016, 02:32 PM
(18-12-2016 02:23 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:22 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  You mean after asking us not to use critical thinking because it might mess up your preferred narrative with the talking ass?

Please tell me if you are serious or are you just yanking my chain with this one?

Dead serious. How do you expect me to cherry pick the Divine Word? It's either all God's Revealed Word or all the ass talking. You don't expect me to believe that half the Bible is made up do you? Which half?!?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
18-12-2016, 02:33 PM
(18-12-2016 02:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  See, I've spent quite a long time acquiring scientific training and critical thinking skills. I've also been a Christian and read the bible a few times, as well as spent a lot of time on this forum. I've read myths and legends of several cultures for fun, I understand how such myths grow.

So it seems to me way more plausible that this Christianity thing is a made up fable, and you're really not doing anything to counter that view.

The Bible does make fact claims, like talking animals. It talks of six day creation, people rising from the dead, the sun standing still. Many of these claims are testable - global flood for example, and many of them are also found in cultures and myths that you Christians reject as false. It seems very much more likely that the Bible is one among many religions all of which are entertaining but nevertheless false, than that somehow you guys magically happened upon the One Truth while everyone else didn't.

Argue against that. Tell me why I am wrong.

Thank you, Morondog, a legitimate post.
The Bible does indeed make fact claims like those mentioned by you above.
I have a question for you. If God exist - a supreme, all-powerful being - could He do all those things? Of course He could. You do not think He exists so for you those thing did not happen.
I believe He exists so I have no problem with them.

I have read that there is some evidence for a day standing still?
18-12-2016, 02:35 PM
(18-12-2016 02:31 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:18 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I just noticed that someone Liked this post. Really, all you said was "What?!"

We're a family here. We support each other. You're still on the outside, but who knows! Maybe you'll find yourself on the inside one day. For now, you'll have to respect that my friends support the things I say and think, and I support them for the way they think, and for the things they say.

Edit: Respect is what I meant by saying "support", and that is not agreement. It's just respect.

I am hopeful that one day a posting of "What?! from me will earn me a "Like."
18-12-2016, 02:35 PM
By the way, while you're mulling over how to explain that your religion is true and all the others are false, please also bear in mind that Christianity, especially as practised by baptists as far as I can tell, is in profound disagreement with science.

Firstly there is no evidence of a global flood. Secondly the age of the Earth is well established as being around 4.5 billion years (IIRC). Thirdly the Theory of Evolution is pretty much established fact. These are all in contradiction to claims made in the Bible. You can of course modify your faith and state that the stories contained in the Bible are metaphorical, but then I question the value of a book where you cannot tell whether the author is actually making a fact claim.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post