Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 02:37 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(18-12-2016 02:31 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:18 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I just noticed that someone Liked this post. Really, all you said was "What?!"
That is a pretty low bar.

We're a family here. We support each other. You're still on the outside, but who knows! Maybe you'll find yourself on the inside one day. For now, you'll have to respect that my friends support the things I say and think, and I support them for the way they think, and for the things they say.

Edit: Respect is what I meant by saying "support", and that is not agreement. It's just respect.

Hell, I'd plop a "like" on his post if he said anything amusing, witty or meaningful. Good is good regardless of source. It isn't like they cost anything.

Oddly, evangelists just aren't very funny.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 02:37 PM
(18-12-2016 02:33 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I have read that there is some evidence for a day standing still?

There isn't.

No evidence for a global flood.
No evidence for the exodus.
No evidence for any of the miracles.

And there sure as fuck isn't any evidence for the Resurrection...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
18-12-2016, 02:47 PM
(18-12-2016 02:33 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Thank you, Morondog, a legitimate post.
The Bible does indeed make fact claims like those mentioned by you above.
I have a question for you. If God exist - a supreme, all-powerful being - could He do all those things? Of course He could. You do not think He exists so for you those thing did not happen.
I believe He exists so I have no problem with them.
If little green almighty goblins existed they could do these things too? IF I had wings and the appropriate muscles I could fly. I am saying that these fact claims are outlandish and have left no evidence and that other religions also claim such facts as *their* basis for the One Truth.

Quote:I have read that there is some evidence for a day standing still?
If there is, then if you want to claim it, it's your responsibility to find it. Burden of proof is on you. I've certainly never come across any such, and let's think about what would have to happen for that to occur. The story is that of Joshua slaughtering Midianites if I recall correctly, an appropriately bloodthirsty theme - and Joshua petitioned God for extra daylight so he could continue slaughtering.

If the Earth actually stood still in order to achieve this, then that means that the actual Earth would have to stop rotating. The entire planet. Now call me skeptical, but some tribe of wandering flea-bitten proto-Arabs running around the desert sticking pointy things into their near relatives over theological disagreements seems highly unlikely to interest a universe-creating deity to temporarily halt their planet's rotation. And if it did do so everyone currently not anchored very firmly to the said planet would describe a graceful parabola into outer space. Since there is no record of Midianites in space I conclude that the legend as recorded is simply a case of historical Hebrew hyperbole.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
18-12-2016, 02:48 PM
(18-12-2016 02:28 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  [quote='Bzltyr' pid='1106133' dateline='1482092292']
Seriously? You're getting pissy because I liked Aliza's joke?

Not "pissy" just noticed it and commented.
18-12-2016, 02:52 PM
I get that someone can say it was little green goblins. That is not what I believe.
18-12-2016, 02:55 PM
(18-12-2016 02:27 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:19 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Really makes you wonder what this great "gift" of life is really about. All it seems to do is consign some souls to eternal damnation. You'd think that creating souls in heaven might be a bit more effective. Gotta wonder at the mind set of this deity of his. Seems like a bit of a BDSM freak.

Holy shit! I said "a life" you know get out of bed - go to work - go work on my car - talk to the kids. You know a life. Get it?

Yeah. A life. What's it for? Seriously, you could be enjoying Eternal Bliss right now but instead you're down here with the rest of us sinners risking eternal damnation. Seems a little inefficient doesn't it?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
18-12-2016, 02:55 PM
I just heard that some astronomers say there was some evidence for it. I did not really look into it.
18-12-2016, 02:58 PM
(18-12-2016 02:52 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I get that someone can say it was little green goblins. That is not what I believe.

And what you believe is not what other people believe. If all you've got is "this is what I believe" then you're not very convincing, and certainly unlikely to have discovered *truth*. Humans are fallible, you included. That is absolute, incontrovertible fact.

We cannot take individuals - or even millions - saying "this is what I believe" as an indication of truth. After all millions follow different religions to you.

This is why science has been developed historically. It is simply that fact-claims are checked. It's imperfect and fails often but the beauty is, if it fails and someone points it out, it gets fixed.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
18-12-2016, 03:03 PM
So since we're all here, and terribly busy, perhaps you can try out one of these importantish questions.

Can god make a rock so big that he can't lift it?

More meaningfully, is your deity bound by logic or can it commit paradox? What are the bounds on omnipotence?

---
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
18-12-2016, 03:07 PM
(18-12-2016 02:55 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I just heard that some astronomers say there was some evidence for it. I did not really look into it.

Please for the love of God use google. Literally all you have to do is a little googling to find these astronomers. You can't cite this as evidence for anything if all you've got is hearsay. I've heard that the Quran contains evidence that ancient Arabs knew about the atomic theory of matter (some Muslim people do make this claim actually). Hearsay is worthless as evidence of anything.