Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2016, 04:23 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(18-12-2016 04:04 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Do you have to label my thinking wishy-washy due to some random comment? Why can't I have a conversation with you without having everything I write given the third degree. I am having a conversation with you guys. Lighten up a little bit. I don't need you to fact check for me. I don't need you to google anything for me.

You guy automatically assign some nefarious intent on my part. Paranoid much?

Bud, this isn't church. I'm not gonna say amen when you post daft stuff. You claimed to have heard something, I replied, you apparently didn't catch the implication. This miracle of the sun stopping in the sky is pretty much *impossible*. You cannot believe it as truth. To hand-wave it away with "I have heard" is typical of believers - they want to believe. I don't, I want truth.

Wishy-washy is in response to the way you tried to blow it off. Not even the effort of trying to think it through. It *is* goddamn wishy-washy and it shows why you believe as you do. You have no idea of the thoroughness that goes into science.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
18-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Aaaah shit ! He's back !Facepalm
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
18-12-2016, 04:28 PM
(18-12-2016 04:12 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Properly would take a bit of time. I will work on it honestly and get back to you. I am hopeful you will review it honestly as you have stated.
My Paranoid Much? I don't have any reason to lie. But you're gonna have a very long road ahead of you and I want you to be aware that I will probably reject your conclusion - depends what you show me but I'm not hopeful that you can satisfy me. And in the event of that happening, you're not allowed to claim that I didn't review it honestly.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-12-2016, 04:36 PM
PS I'd prefer if you didn't go collecting vast quantities of scriptures and writing endless screeds.

Just give me the cliff notes, and we'll expand as we go along. i.e. if there's stuff I want clarification on I will ask you. If there's stuff I disagree with I will point it out and say why, and you will be able to respond.

I think it will be helpful if you first lay out your reasons for believing that Christianity is true. Your testimony. I am prepared to be significantly nicer when it's your personal story. I am excited to poke holes in it as always, but I don't poke as hard as when you're trying to tell *me* The Truth.

18-12-2016, 04:47 PM
(18-12-2016 04:05 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 03:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  So how do you reconcile that with variable perfection?

God is widely viewed as being perfect. The problem with that is that perfection is immutable. The only possible change is to become imperfect. This leads to a static deity, incapable of thought, action or even perception.

I think because God is outside of our universe and we are inside the universe the universe He created does not allow a squared circle. If He did He would be breaking His own rules.

OK, so just to be clear about this, god is only bound by the rules of logic when interacting with our universe because that's where those rules apply. "Outside" of the universe god is not constrained by those rules and may commit contradicitons such as changeable perfection.

Is that more or less correct?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
18-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Bollocks bollocks bollocks Frusty
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
18-12-2016, 05:06 PM
(18-12-2016 02:07 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I am just telling the story that I believe is true.

Quote: I believe God has the ability to speak through an ass

Quote: ....ass is part of the story - a story that I believe is true.

Well, neeto-keeno for you! You can believe Tinkerbell sprinkles magic fairy dust on Peter Pan, you can believe aliens came down and made the Pyramids, you can believe a jackass talked, you can believe whatever the hell you want but believing doesn't make it true. The bible is a book of beliefs written by people who believed in a god. That's all it is. Quoting from it doesn't make it true and reading it a thousand times over doesn't make it true. You can believe the bible and be convinced of it's stories with every fiber and brain cell you possess but it STILL won't make it true.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-12-2016, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 06:28 AM by unfogged.)
(18-12-2016 01:41 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  On thought police - not going to get "arrested" - punished for what you think.

Your position on that is not clear at all.
Can a thought be sinful?
Are all sins equal?
Do all sins lead to some sort of consequence? (even if it is annihilation or separation from god)?

(18-12-2016 02:33 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I have a question for you. If God exist - a supreme, all-powerful being - could He do all those things? Of course He could.

So how do we go [from] "if he exists" to "he exists"? Faith is not a path to truth because you can believe literally anything when you start with faith.

(18-12-2016 02:52 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I get that someone can say it was little green goblins. That is not what I believe.

But that's the point. Why do you believe what you believe? Why should anybody else believe it?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
18-12-2016, 05:16 PM
(18-12-2016 05:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 02:07 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  I am just telling the story that I believe is true.

Quote: I believe God has the ability to speak through an ass

Quote: ....ass is part of the story - a story that I believe is true.

Well, neeto-keeno for you! You can believe Tinkerbell sprinkles magic fairy dust on Peter Pan, you can believe aliens came down and made the Pyramids, you can believe a jackass talked, you can believe whatever the hell you want but believing doesn't make it true. The bible is a book of beliefs written by people who believed in a god. That's all it is. Quoting from it doesn't make it true and reading it a thousand times over doesn't make it true. You can believe the bible and be convinced of it's stories with every fiber and brain cell you possess but it STILL won't make it true.

He delivers quite the spanking, eh? Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
18-12-2016, 05:25 PM
(18-12-2016 05:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(18-12-2016 05:06 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, neeto-keeno for you! You can believe Tinkerbell sprinkles magic fairy dust on Peter Pan, you can believe aliens came down and made the Pyramids, you can believe a jackass talked, you can believe whatever the hell you want but believing doesn't make it true. The bible is a book of beliefs written by people who believed in a god. That's all it is. Quoting from it doesn't make it true and reading it a thousand times over doesn't make it true. You can believe the bible and be convinced of it's stories with every fiber and brain cell you possess but it STILL won't make it true.

He delivers quite the spanking, eh? Laugh out load

Nah....he just believes a lot of silly stuff and thinks it's literal, points to a book as proof and then tries to shove it down people's throat. Laugh out load snort....Talking asses.....Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post