Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2016, 07:38 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
"Douche move" Is that French?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2016, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2016 07:57 PM by jennybee.)
(24-12-2016 04:34 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 01:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  He makes note of this in the NT by saying people should not call him good because only God is truly good.

You misunderstand what Jesus was saying to the rich young ruler. He asked this question to determine the ruler's heart. The ruler no longer called Jesus "good" showing that he would not accept Jesus as God.

If you have any more questions or can't understand something else please ask.

I'm an ex-Christian--also shouldn't you be celebrating Jesus' impending birth instead of being on here?

From David Guzik's Commentary on the Bible (from studylight.org):

The passage is about riches and true discipleship.

1. (Luke 18:18-19) A rich young ruler comes to Jesus.

Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.”

a. Good Teacher: This was a title never applied to other Rabbis in Jesus’ day, because it implied sinlessness, a complete goodness. Jesus, and everyone else, recognized that this was a unique title.

i. “There is no instance in the whole Talmud of a rabbi being addressed as ‘Good Master’” (Plummer, cited in Geldenhuys). They insisted only calling God “good.”

b. Why do you call Me Good: This is not a denial of deity. Instead, Jesus invites the young man to reflect upon it. It is as if Jesus says, “do you really know what you are saying when you call Me Good Teacher?”

c. What shall I do to inherit eternal life: If the man really knew who Jesus was, he wouldn’t ask Jesus for advice about how to get to heaven. He would be on his knees before Jesus, asking for His mercy and grace - as the tax collector did earlier in the chapter.

i. The man also didn’t really know who he was. He thought that he was righteous, and didn’t really know the kind of person he was. When you don’t know who Jesus really is, you probably won’t know who you are either. And knowing Jesus comes first.

From Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible:

And Jesus said unto him,.... In answer to his question, beginning with the character he gave him:

why callest thou me good? it being unusual to address men, even their Rabbins, under such a title:

none is good, save one, that is, God: or "but God alone"; as the Vulgate Latin and Arabic versions render it; or, "but the one God", as read the Syriac, Persic, and Ethiopic versions; See Gill on Matthew 19:17.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-12-2016, 07:53 PM
(24-12-2016 07:38 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  "Douche move" Is that French?

No, it's when you take this little bag of scented water and squeeze it up.... wait, are you seriously asking? If you're seriously asking, I'll answer. In graphic detail.
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
24-12-2016, 07:56 PM
(24-12-2016 07:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 06:10 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Look cupcake, YOU came HERE to convert US.

As long as you leave me the fuck alone, I don't give a rat's ass what you believe.

But if you in any way try to present your religion to me, you'd best be prepared.

Telling me that your imaginary friend will torture me forever is not a compelling argument. Humorous maybe, but not compelling.

Wonder why god didn't inspire you with better arguments?

"Look cupcake!" I love it! It's times like this that I wish we could add rep beyond our allocated ration per person.

(15-12-2016 08:09 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Truly an impasse. Remember I am stating why I believe. The evidence is sufficient for me.

I'm pretty sure no one here cares what you believe. And your religious views don't impact me one bit as long as you keep your views to yourself and your friends and family, and you keep it out of the legal system.

... Except let's not play pretend here. You're not here to "state what you believe". You're here to convert people to Christianity. That, sir, is what we call a douche move.

Was it at least a holy cupcake?

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
24-12-2016, 07:57 PM
(24-12-2016 07:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  c. What shall I do to inherit eternal life: If the man really knew who Jesus was, he wouldn’t ask Jesus for advice about how to get to heaven. He would be on his knees before Jesus, asking for His mercy and grace - as the tax collector did earlier in the chapter.

Oddly, if the man in question was a Jew, he wouldn't be asking that question at all because "eternal life" is one of those concepts that Christians didn't happen to take from us. Judaism teaches to live in the here and now and not to bank on eternal admittance into a heaven or hell -neither of which exist in Jewish theology.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
24-12-2016, 07:58 PM
(24-12-2016 07:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 07:06 PM)Aliza Wrote:  "Look cupcake!" I love it! It's times like this that I wish we could add rep beyond our allocated ration per person.

I'm pretty sure no one here cares what you believe. And your religious views don't impact me one bit as long as you keep your views to yourself and your friends and family, and you keep it out of the legal system.

... Except let's not play pretend here. You're not here to "state what you believe". You're here to convert people to Christianity. That, sir, is what we call a douche move.

Was it at least a holy cupcake?

No, but it was definitely a chocolate cupcake. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-12-2016, 08:09 PM
(24-12-2016 07:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 07:56 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Was it at least a holy cupcake?

No, but it was definitely a chocolate cupcake. Big Grin

Well, that gets a dancing banana Banana_zorro

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-12-2016, 08:11 PM
(24-12-2016 07:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm an ex-Christian--also shouldn't you be celebrating Jesus' impending birth instead of being on here?

Addressed at Bltz and not me, but personally, I'm waiting to go to the 11pm Mass that lasts into midnight. So when parents aren't looking over my shoulder, whittling away time on here with interesting and intelligent folks.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
24-12-2016, 08:13 PM
(24-12-2016 08:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 07:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm an ex-Christian--also shouldn't you be celebrating Jesus' impending birth instead of being on here?

Addressed at Bltz and not me, but personally, I'm waiting to go to the 11pm Mass that lasts into midnight. So when parents aren't looking over my shoulder, whittling away time on here with interesting and intelligent folks.

Okay I'll give you a pass Wink Here, have a holy cupcake. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-12-2016, 08:17 PM
(24-12-2016 08:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 08:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Addressed at Bltz and not me, but personally, I'm waiting to go to the 11pm Mass that lasts into midnight. So when parents aren't looking over my shoulder, whittling away time on here with interesting and intelligent folks.

Okay I'll give you a pass Wink Here, have a holy cupcake. Big Grin

Thanks! Smile And pre-Holy Communion snacking is the best snacking. The Body of Christ may be spiritually filling, but not really physically so.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post