Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 11:07 AM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(24-12-2016 08:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 07:49 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm an ex-Christian--also shouldn't you be celebrating Jesus' impending birth instead of being on here?

Addressed at Bltz and not me, but personally, I'm waiting to go to the 11pm Mass that lasts into midnight. So when parents aren't looking over my shoulder, whittling away time on here with interesting and intelligent folks.

As the other theist here, I'd like to say that the reason that I'm not off the forum celebrating Hanukkah is because Hanukkah isn't even a holiday. It's a festival which is like a mini holiday, more like Valentine's day or St. Patrick's day. It's fun to celebrate, but it's far less important than the other holidays. In fact, I'd suggest that our other festival, Purim, carries more weight than Hanukkah.

Oh wait, I shot two birds with one stone with this post. I replied to Shai and Jenny, and I also gave you all something you didn't know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 11:08 AM
(25-12-2016 10:59 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Male echidna's have a four-headed penis covered with penile spines.

Think about that next time you play Sonic the Hedgehog....

Ehhh... Thank you for that information, FBH. Thank you very much. Thumbsup
25-12-2016, 11:32 AM
(25-12-2016 10:59 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Male echidna's have a four-headed penis covered with penile spines.

Think about that next time you play Sonic the Hedgehog....

I wonder if that's why Ron Jeremy was called the hedgehog? Consider

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
25-12-2016, 11:56 AM
(25-12-2016 11:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  ... In fact, I'd suggest that our other festival, Purim, carries more weight than Hanukkah.

Oh wait, I shot two birds with one stone with this post. I replied to Shai and Jenny, and I also gave you all something you didn't know.

All?

Pfft!

Dodgy

Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
25-12-2016, 12:17 PM
I've never thought Hannukah was a big holiday...but since it can be a "family gathers to eat food and enjoy one another's company" holiday like the other Solstice holidays, you get more well wishes from the Goyim at that time. We wish you well on your more important holidays...we just usually don't know they're happening unless someone else mentions it.

Edit to Add: On my phone. Autocorrect is fighting me.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
25-12-2016, 12:17 PM
(24-12-2016 09:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 09:52 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Merry Xmas.

Originally the X was not an X as we use it in the English alphabet; it was the Greek letter chi which looks very similar to an X. The Greek letter X (chi) is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ, Xristos (χριστός) so Xmas therefore means "Christ's Mass" which is what the word Christmas actually means.

Um......tell us something we don't know. Dodgy

Actually I had to explain that to an offended person recently, so while you all may know it, heh...

(25-12-2016 11:07 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-12-2016 08:11 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Addressed at Bltz and not me, but personally, I'm waiting to go to the 11pm Mass that lasts into midnight. So when parents aren't looking over my shoulder, whittling away time on here with interesting and intelligent folks.

As the other theist here, I'd like to say that the reason that I'm not off the forum celebrating Hanukkah is because Hanukkah isn't even a holiday. It's a festival which is like a mini holiday, more like Valentine's day or St. Patrick's day. It's fun to celebrate, but it's far less important than the other holidays. In fact, I'd suggest that our other festival, Purim, carries more weight than Hanukkah.

Doesn't Purim also carry a whole lot more drinking of wine? (That or I'm mixing up my holidays, which is possible.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
25-12-2016, 12:25 PM
(25-12-2016 12:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Doesn't Purim also carry a whole lot more drinking of wine? (That or I'm mixing up my holidays, which is possible.)

Drinking of anything! It's considered "good luck" to drink until you can't tell good from evil anymore. Ideally, you should do this at a Purim party while wearing a mask or some other kind of silly disguise.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
25-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Well good luck to you then! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
25-12-2016, 01:23 PM
What he said, come Purim!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-12-2016, 03:49 PM
(16-12-2016 03:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 03:47 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  What are we not allowed to do that we are able to do physically.
Why are you limiting to physically? We cannot fly without a machine. We cannot snap our fingers and pop on over to another country or planet. These are limits to our free will. You can't just arbitrarily remove them because they aren't within the realm of what's possible for us - their not being possible is precisely the point. Why is sin allowed to be possible? Care to actually answer the question now? Consider

I wanted to comment that this is a really good question. Much better than the OP gives credit for. I wanted to talk about it briefly.

A couple years ago I finished reading the eye of the World Series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Mild spoiler here, won't ruin the story if you haven't read it. In the last book the hero has the option to kill the dark one, which is the source of all evil in the world. Doing so would not just remove the evil demons and whatnot, but also the desire in people to act in an immoral fashion. Indeed, they would be unable to act in an immoral way.

So why doesn't god do this? Why not make it so that we were unable to act in an immoral fashion? Keep all the ability to choose intact, but simply remove the ability to act poorly? Put something in our brains which prevents those synapses from connecting in that way.

Yes, you would still have free will. You could choose to eat cheese or muffins. You could choose to go to law school or pursue a degree in education. But the idea of murdering someone would not be something that would ever come up.

If god is all-powerful, he could do that. So why not?
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post