Christian Doctrine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 03:58 PM
RE: Christian Doctrine
(25-12-2016 03:49 PM)natachan Wrote:  If god is all-powerful, he could do that. So why not?

'Cos he takes delight in the agonies of his enemies. Quite a lot of delight. He's a nasty piece of work. Or would be if the cult were correct and he did in fact exist. Which Bzltyr is the latest person to insist is still up for debate, but I'm not holding my breath.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
25-12-2016, 04:15 PM
(25-12-2016 10:59 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Male echidna's have a four-headed penis covered with penile spines.

Think about that next time you play Sonic the Hedgehog....

At least now we know why Knuckles doesn't chuckle.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
25-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Sorry, still reading through the thread. Made it to page 9 and think we need a snicker or lol reaction like on Facebook. My estimation of the intelligence of the OP just fell off by 30 points or ten years in age.
25-12-2016, 04:19 PM
(25-12-2016 04:16 PM)natachan Wrote:  Sorry, still reading through the thread. Made it to page 9 and think we need a snicker or lol reaction like on Facebook. My estimation of the intelligence of the OP just fell off by 30 points or ten years in age.

Yeah, this is a silly arse thread and anyone going to trouble to respond is wasting their precious life.

However, nice to see you natachan! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
26-12-2016, 12:32 AM
(25-12-2016 04:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah, this is a silly arse thread and anyone going to trouble to respond is wasting their precious life.

Weeping

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-12-2016, 01:04 AM
(25-12-2016 04:19 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah, this is a silly arse thread and anyone going to trouble to respond is wasting their precious life.

[Image: MLP_WHY_WOULD_YOU_POST_THAT.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-12-2016, 06:38 AM
(25-12-2016 03:49 PM)natachan Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 03:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Why are you limiting to physically? We cannot fly without a machine. We cannot snap our fingers and pop on over to another country or planet. These are limits to our free will. You can't just arbitrarily remove them because they aren't within the realm of what's possible for us - their not being possible is precisely the point. Why is sin allowed to be possible? Care to actually answer the question now? Consider

I wanted to comment that this is a really good question. Much better than the OP gives credit for. I wanted to talk about it briefly.

A couple years ago I finished reading the eye of the World Series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Mild spoiler here, won't ruin the story if you haven't read it. In the last book the hero has the option to kill the dark one, which is the source of all evil in the world. Doing so would not just remove the evil demons and whatnot, but also the desire in people to act in an immoral fashion. Indeed, they would be unable to act in an immoral way.

So why doesn't god do this? Why not make it so that we were unable to act in an immoral fashion? Keep all the ability to choose intact, but simply remove the ability to act poorly? Put something in our brains which prevents those synapses from connecting in that way.

Yes, you would still have free will. You could choose to eat cheese or muffins. You could choose to go to law school or pursue a degree in education. But the idea of murdering someone would not be something that would ever come up.

If god is all-powerful, he could do that. So why not?

The apologist excuse of free will is a false dichotomy, as you point out, there are plenty of choices one can make, not all are evil and some could be less evil than others.

If god convinced Hitler to take interest in a career and marry someone instead of getting interested in politics, we all would have been better off for it. This is not really limiting Hitler's free will, it is making an almost unlimited number of OTHER choices more appealing than the worst set of choices.

This is a trivially easy thing to do, but all that happened proceeded entirely without this alleged god's influence. A god that does nothing while watching a mass genocide of his own specially "chosen" people as they are driven to near extinction.

I think it shows pretty clearly this is more than a free choice principle at stake, this a god that has problems showing that he even exists.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-12-2016, 08:14 AM
(24-12-2016 04:59 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  Peter Slevon Wrote:  
Aliza, Bzityr,
A number of things to note. 1) Christanity in its origins is Jewish. 2) Christianity therefore stands or falls with Judaism. 3)Torah Judism fell in 70 C.E. And has not yet been restored.
Now did I get something wrong here?
4 ) Neither of you have answered the issue of there not being any God.

I have given reasons to believe there is a God. The creation story - The universe and how finely tuned it is. There is no chance it "just happened." - The Gospels - I am going to get to prophecy.
Order is fundamental. You cannot have fine tuning without fundamental order. Unity (1) is fundamental. The concept of 1 + 1 = 2. You see unless you can show that your God is needed for that simple concept to be true, the fine tuning can be true without your God too.
[+] 1 user Likes Peter Slevon's post
26-12-2016, 09:44 AM
(24-12-2016 04:31 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  ...Muhammad is noted to have counted twelve stars in the constellation ..

...most could only see six...

All of these sites mention that only six are visible with the naked eye.

Except for where they note that some could see more... reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit. I know you are desperate to find support for your beliefs by, as they say, lying for Jesus is still lying™.

Quote:Merry Christmas to all and remember Jesus is the reason for the season.

The earth's axial tilt and orbit are the reason for the solstice which was the "reason for the season" until xians decided to subvert a perfectly good holiday with their bullshit.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
26-12-2016, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 10:21 AM by unfogged.)
(24-12-2016 04:53 PM)Bzltyr Wrote:  
(23-12-2016 03:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Jesus's genealogy.
-MT 1:17 There were twenty-eight generations from David to Jesus.
-LK 3:23-38 There were forty-three.

One is Joseph the other is Mary

While I find your other apologetics arguable ad-hoc rationalizations to support a conclusion you have already reached, this one is just laughable. Both give the strictly male line and the lists are simply not compatible.

Was Jesus born during Herod's reign or when the census was taken 9-10 years after Herod's death?
Did Herod's slaughter of the young children and infants take place?
Why were Joseph and Mary in Bethlehem?
Did they flee to Egypt?
Did Jesus clear the temple at the start or end of his ministry?
Did he have a conversation with Pilate or did he say almost nothing?
Was he crucified on Passover or the day before?
You've already glossed over his "last words" -- something that would seem to be more important than the writers apparently thought according to you.
Where did Jesus first appear after the resurrection?

By the way, have you abandoned the claim of the scientific accuracy of Genesis?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP