Christian Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Christian Forum
I have a desire to give Christianity a chance. Don't get me wrong, I know as certainly as I can know anything that it's a load of bullshit, but I want to hear from some intelligent Christians. Anyway, I wanted to find a predominantly Christian forum where I could start up a thread basically asking anyone interested to convert me to Christianity and see what they come up with. I want to see if there is anything I haven't heard before, and so the larger the forum the better.

Only problem is that many Christian forums seem to be abusively moderated(by this I mean they have arbitrary restrictions on what you can say regarding Christianity or other beliefs, or encourage censorship), and I'm not interested in wasting my time having a discussion only to have it censored or shut down at the whim of some insecure asshole. So, does anyone know of a Christian forum that promotes open, civil discussion and free speech? Basically, with the same kind of atmosphere as this one, only Christian? Finding one seems like a daunting task, especially after looking through a quick Google search, so I wanted to just ask if anyone here already knew of such a place?

My goal is to learn something if there is indeed something to be learned, and hopefully provoke a few others to question their beliefs. I was thinking of trying to start a correspondence with an apologist, but I'd rather have input from multiple people so that nothing is missed.
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 05:56 AM
RE: Christian Forum
Gassy Kitten recommended Theologyonline.com - while I won't say the discussions are always "civil," it does appear to be fairly moderated. Full spectrum there from atheists and skeptics to thoughtful theists to Fundy whack jobs. More often than not I leave there shaking my head wondering how people can believe the way they do, but it does provide an alternate universal view...so to speak...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I've tried that before. I managed to find a few Christian-based forums that don't require a statement of faith, but even then most don't like atheists joining and saying "Try to convert me". It was specifically mentioned as against the rules in several forums. There are plenty of neutral sites where intelligent Christians are happy to try to convert you, but it's common for other atheists/non-Christians to come in and distract the Christians after just a few posts.

I tried Mormon.org and talked to a couple of missionaries one-on-two. The ones that I talked to were respectful and answered my questioned without trying too hard to convert. The answer I got wasn't satisfactory, but all in all I found the discussion interesting. So, if you want to put up with Mormons(they aren't that bad if you keep the topic and just Christianity in general), I would recommend that place. I didn't have to enter my real e-mail adress(I entered scaqwnasf@Yahoo.comTongue) and I didn't get any spam afterwards, though they did try to hit me up for my real info(denied).

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
15-05-2011, 11:10 AM

You might try Religious Forums. They're fairly moderated and have an eclectic mix of individuals who could answer your sincere questions about Christianity. They'd also be willing to be engaged to think outside the box,as there are a fair amount of atheists there as well.

Often one seeks out through Keywords, the forums they're looking for. In this case in the event you keyword search, "Christian Forums", I wouldn't recommend the hit you'll receive for "Christian Forums".
They tend to be a bit intolerant of anything outside the box. However, they've opened themselves up to considering Gnostic Christianity of late, so perhaps things are changing slowly.
I know someone who was banned because they opened a discussion last year regarding Gnosticism.

*Edit*
I use to have this website in my Favorites Tab, Brother of Yeshua, but at long last it was lost upon the last reformat so I had to wait until they sent their latest newsletter update to my old spam email addy.

Sure enough, even they are broadcasting the Rapture come May 21st and Harold Camping's BS promise they'll all lift off. As others have said, you're not going to find intelligent Christians to dialog with, simply because while the individual may be a veritable Genius, when they agreed to set aside their rational intellect in order to accept the tenets of Christianity they compromised their moral character and their intellect in order to live a lie.
So the best you can do is hope to find people that are well versed in the particulars of the lie.
Brother of Yeshua also has a Yahoo Groups discussion forum found HERE.

I think it's also something to consider as well, that when you meet people like those who are members of Brother of Yeshua and the Yahoo Group, that while they may be very well versed in the fable that is Christianity, what they're first and foremost trying to talk about is that what convinces them they're right(eous) in living as they're choosing to live, believing as they're led to believe.

Have fun. Wink
15-05-2011, 12:14 PM
(14-05-2011 10:03 PM)Zach Wrote:  but I want to hear from some intelligent Christians.

They don't exist.

For the same reason that you'll never see an honest Snake Oil Salesman or an obese gymnast. The adjective is incompatible with the title. This is one of the reasons I changed my major from Philosophy of Religion; because there was no worthy religious debaters. The "top" religious debaters such as Deepak Chopra, Dinesh Dsouza, William Lane Craig, and John Lennox babble on for hours without actually saying anything and usually end up backed into a logic corner, claiming that "we just feel this" or "we can't explain this" or "there's got to be something out there."

There are intelligent people who are Christians. But the very nature of their religious beliefs hinders their ability to use that intelligence.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-05-2011, 03:08 PM

(15-05-2011 12:14 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(14-05-2011 10:03 PM)Zach Wrote:  but I want to hear from some intelligent Christians.

They don't exist.

For the same reason that you'll never see an honest Snake Oil Salesman or an obese gymnast. The adjective is incompatible with the title. This is one of the reasons I changed my major from Philosophy of Religion; because there was no worthy religious debaters. The "top" religious debaters such as Deepak Chopra, Dinesh Dsouza, William Lane Craig, and John Lennox babble on for hours without actually saying anything and usually end up backed into a logic corner, claiming that "we just feel this" or "we can't explain this" or "there's got to be something out there."

There are intelligent people who are Christians. But the very nature of their religious beliefs hinders their ability to use that intelligence.
I'm not expecting to find a theist who can be intelligent, rational, or think critically when it comes to his or her beliefs, but I do want to hear what they have to say. I really want to see how these people will approach converting someone. Or how they can justify moving from a position of skepticism, which obviously should be the default, to believing in any god let alone the biblical one.

I imagine most aren't going to take an approach of trying to show me evidence to move from skepticism to theism, and will instead use some version of the typical argument against skepticism. Trying to say I have faith in science or morals or the value of life, and somehow claim that God follows from that. I'm going to try to make the stupidity of this clear early on and demand evidence or sound reasoning, and my hope is that these people will take a look at what they think. To justify their beliefs, they should have sufficient evidence to convince a skeptical atheist. But once I start rejecting intelligent design bullshit or some other nonsense, chances are they'll say I'm being too critical of their evidence and don't have an open mind.

I will be happy if I can find a Christian who will make it past all of these potential issues and focus purely on reasons to believe rather than stupid accusations of closed mindedness or poor logic. These people, if I manage to encounter them, are likely to be the most intelligent and open-minded Christians of the lot. They're the ones worth having a conversation with, the ones who would have convincing reasons if there are any, and the ones who will likely realize that they're on the wrong side. So I want to try to have this conversation in the hopes of finding just one of these people, because they ought to be interesting to talk to.

And thanks for all the forum suggestions, I'll take a look at them tonight and hopefully get something started on one Smile
16-05-2011, 06:30 AM

You can try christian-chat.net although prepare to be frustrated.

There are a few posters who can manage an intelligent discussion but be prepared...

I think the stupid in one thread actually hurt me.
17-05-2011, 11:08 AM
If you are interested in learning about Christianity and don't try to convert others to atheism this might be a good forum:

http://www.christiandoctrinediscussion.com/

They don't ask any questions about your beliefs when you register. It might be best not to mention the fact that you are an atheist but simply say you are intersted in learning about Christianity.

This site has a form that is open to atheists although there are some restrictions about where they are allowed to post:

http://carm.org/

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Why not go to the Church directly? Why talk on forums about such important things?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson