Christian "Joy"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 11:25 PM by Fisty_McBeefpunch.)
Christian "Joy"?
We hear so much about the "Joy" and "stability" Christians claim within their faith. But when I read their facebook updates they seem miserable and paranoid. Below are just a few examples:

"I swear the devil is out to kill steal and destroy all the people he can... I'm never giving up on being a Christian devil so bring it, but remember when you come after me you come alone, when I come after you I come in the name of the Lord!!!!
Live your life for Jesus today, make the choice for eternal life with Him... Hell is real and forever... Prayers today for many, my heart aches...."

"Very sad AND CHANGEABLE! InJesus name"

"Before you go off on yourself or others being half-ticked at the world, just think about your adversary, He rages ticked-off all the time. He is an angry soul who is wanting to destroy everything that God has made holy. IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED CHRIST THIS MEANS YOU. Do not be deceived by your emotions, perceived entitlements and what you cannot see. Fear and Anger are cousins that try the ol one two punch. Be prepared with the Kings armor and understand that we live by faith…. ask for it by name….God is listening. Blessings to you today from Brother Tom"

"Oh so my hearts cry..... And yet scares me and seems difficult and impossible
Lord, cleanse me of anything that breaks Your heart. "

And so on. When I finally broke free of "faith" one of the hardest habits to break was the irrational fear that someone (God) was continually reading my mind. While I was a fundie, I believed everything "bad" that happened was a punishment of some sort and this kept me on perpetual guard on my thoughts and actions. Later I began to wonder why the hell this deity was so quick and obvious when it came to "punishment", but slow and seemingly deaf or just plain inactive when it came to answering prayer.

When I see posts like these and others with the self pep talk that while they are suffering they "know" that Jesus is with them and that they have to "wait on his time" and accept his "greater plan" for their life, I can't help but wonder if deep down they are thinking the same things I thought.

Although I did have some good friends, I was thankful for the little things that I had (of course all of this so-called glory went to Jesus) and there was something comforting about being around the people in my church, but when it came to that "one on one relationship with God" it was a dismal affair. Once I was able to break free of my cognitive distortions inculcated in me via the pulpit and daily bible study my life changed for the better. Now when I get a flat tire, I know it was probably the nail in the road and not the tits I oggled at the mall that brought it about. The Universe has become a mind blowing experience. The meaning of Life is no longer trapped between Genesis 1 and Revelation 22. And most important...I have my mind back. That gives me great JOY!

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fisty_McBeefpunch's post
21-06-2013, 07:08 AM
RE: Christian "Joy"?
We have an evolutionary mandate to seek novelty, for learning and problem-solving; this kind of dogmatic faith contradicts such mandate and leads to internal conflict.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-06-2013, 07:27 AM
RE: Christian "Joy"?
I find this part of one of the posts particularly ironic, "Do not be deceived by your emotions, perceived entitlements and what you cannot see." since each of the items stated are the basis of their beliefs.

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
[+] 2 users Like Fisty_McBeefpunch's post
18-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Christian "Joy"?
Having a common enemy strengthens their faith and draws them closer together.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."