Christian Misogyny

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Christian Misogyny
As a former Jehovah's Witness, I heard many times from the podium that wives are to be submissive to their husbands. That marriages are partnerships, but that the husband is the ultimate head of the household. That women are to have their view(s) considered, but that men are to have the final say.

Since separating myself from the faith, I've come to see how truly misogynistic this viewpoint really is. Perhaps they don't HATE women as the verbiage would suggest, but they certainly view them as being of lower class. Their justification for such archaic sentiments comes directly from scripture; Ephesians 5:22 reading: "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord." Ephesians 5:23 goes on to say: "For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior," and 1st Timothy 2:11-15 saying: "Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control."

As we can see, the general consensus is that women are not quite as significant as men, and must submit to their "lords" accordingly. This is a sentiment that I was raised to believe was of the utmost virtue and, I'll confess, something which still haunts me despite my enlightenment. Regardless of what vestigial remains may still be with me as ghostly reminders of my past, it sickens me that such patriarchal beliefs have brainwashed many women of the world into believing that they are just above the family pet in terms of importance.

Just tonight, I was engaged in a lengthy discussion with a new-found friend of mine. She is not a witness, but the majority of her family adheres to the faith and she is particularly sympathetic to their doctrine. The topic at hand was integral to our discussion, and I would like to post our exchange directly so that you may witness the effects of this misogynistic brainwashing. (For ease of differentiation: Her responses will be in red)

*Her messages are revised only for grammatical purposes.

I've always wondered about the sex life of witnesses.

How so?

Since women have to be submissive, does that mean men always get some?

Ah. I have no idea. I left before I could be described as "the head of the household."

Why didn't you want to be the "head"? And did you have a girlfriend there?

I'm not saying I didn't want to be the head. Just that I left before that happened.
Although, now, I understand that marriages are partnerships. She and I would be a unified front; not the husband ranking higher than the wife.

In the congregation? No. I refrained from girlfriends because it would have distracted me from Jehovah. Plus the pickings were slim. lol

Oh, ok. Marriages are partnerISH. I would respect my husband as the head, but that doesn't mean I'd let him hit me and stuff.

Right, but he'd still be considered the "head". It'd still be a patriarchy. Wives get a say, but the final decisions come down to the man. That's simply archaic. I respect women too much to lead them.

Well, not really. They say there are times when women do have more talent in some regions. *Referring possibly to the care of children and the keeping of the home. Women are also charged with certain aspects of the faith unfitting for a man.

Talent, yes. But when it comes to leading the family, the Witnesses refer to the Bible to make clear that the man is to lead his wife.

But it's not like the husband is dictating the menu of the week.

It doesn't need to be that extreme. It is simply that men are the "head" of the household.

Don't take every word and twist it around.

lol, I'm not.

And yes, I respect men to be the head. I would love that my man be my shepherd.

Such a belief is archaic and patriarchal. You're not a sheep. You're a person. You don't require a shepherd.

(Brief deviation from the topic to speak jokingly about her nickname of "Black Sheep")

But anywho, would you rather a woman disrespect you?

There is a difference between not being the head of a household and being actively disrespected. It's not disrespect for a woman to be perfectly equal. It's not disrespectful for me to NOT be a "shepherd". It would be disrespectful to HER for me to believe she needs to be lead.

lol, but that's the thing; she won't respect you or honor you if you don't make yourself shepherd.

Indeed she will. She'll respect me as a person who's just like her. I don't need to dominate a woman in order to gain her respect.

You see, this is what religion does. It turns women into lesser beings; all too willing to accept their inferior status.

Ok, if you look at it: most relationships are formed like that. Even in the world. Boyfriends tend to "dominate" and act like the alpha male. Women feel nice when they cook for their man.

That does not take place within all relationships. In regard to doing nice things for one another; that's just part of a healthy relationship. Men like doing nice things for their women and vice versa. Equality. Not patriarchy.

Hmm. How do your parents act; if you don't mind me asking?

They fight a lot. Dad thinks he's the head of the household and mom's personality dictates that she be a natural leader, so, they clash a lot.

Ok. Well she doesn't submit to him; that's why.

Wow. Just wow.

So ended the conversation. Immediately, I felt that I needed to share this. Often, we point out that the Bible dictates that women accept an inferior status to men, but I felt it would be beneficial to give everyone some insight into a personal, one-on-one conversation with someone who believes - whole-heartedly - that she is of lesser status than a man, and has allowed such an inferiority complex to color her worldview. It amazes me that she has been conditioned to believe that, without being put in the position of authority, a man will not be respected or honored. The implication is that women are so unruly that without proper guidance - without a "shepherd" to lead them - they will set out on their own (oh golly!) and dismiss the man entirely. (Even with my now infamous romantic experiences, I know this to be bullshit)

It is through such ludicrous and patriarchal views that the Christian religion has truly earned the adjective of "Misogynistic". It's no wonder they brainwash people into adhering to it because, if they didn't, no self-respecting woman would dare to follow it. "Teach them that they are below us and they will be forever under our control. We with external genitalia have now acquired full power!"

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 02:05 AM
RE: Christian Misogyny
You have said it all... No objections my fella.... Though am still under the radar as jw (pretending), been an atheist for almost 5 years now. I from childhood sensed this hypocrisy, women are regarded by the g. B as inferiors yet the make up the best preachers and best watchtower commentators.
They are inferiors yet without women in a household controlling and loving the children, there's high possibility the offspring's go bizzare. I never saw through any logical benefit of abusing women and subjecting them t male authority
[+] 1 user Likes SkepticalChima's post
12-02-2014, 02:25 AM
The hate is there, but it is silenced through the majority, those given the power and those supporting the power, also women.

I believe, and literature strongly suggests, that the nurturance of masculinity depends upon the careful definition of female characteristics to measure the masculine against; that is, if I am man (masculine), I am cannot be woman or have woman as part of my internal self. It's a type of homophobic reaction--a negation of the female. Unfortunately, tragically so, most men and women cling to the patriarchal system.

The patriarchal system is very much a part of all major world religions.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
12-02-2014, 03:48 AM
I used to chat on some yahoo discussion groups a few years ago and I joined one full of very conservative Christian women. Some of them said that they refused to vote because they believed that only the man should vote. I tried pointing out to them that by doing that they were automatically halving the power of their husband's vote by not voting the same but it made no difference. I am not sure they could even understand the concept. I remember seeing a clip (not sure if it was TV or video) of a woman in Saudi Arabia not understanding why she would want to vote considering that she isn't the head of the household.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Yeah, taking advantage of women wherever possible yet denying them honour accordingly
12-02-2014, 08:01 AM
What really disturbs me is the fact that women are more than willing to be curb stomped with a gleeful smile on their faces.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 3 users Like IndianAtheist's post
12-02-2014, 08:08 AM
Yeah I was in the Jehovah Club... But I wasn't in regular attendance, and stopped going altogether when I was about 12, so girlfriends and sex didn't really come into it.

But since then I've heard from others I knew at the time about a lot of the dark side. Glad I got out when I did.

The Mormons remind me a lot of them... Outwardly cheerful and kind but with this nasty shit in the background.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
12-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Re: RE: Christian Misogyny
(12-02-2014 08:01 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  What really disturbs me is the fact that women are more than willing to be curb stomped with a gleeful smile on their faces.
They are promised goodies in return of there been silence
12-02-2014, 09:25 AM
(12-02-2014 08:08 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Yeah I was in the Jehovah Club... But I wasn't in regular attendance, and stopped going altogether when I was about 12, so girlfriends and sex didn't really come into it.

But since then I've heard from others I knew at the time about a lot of the dark side. Glad I got out when I did.

The Mormons remind me a lot of them... Outwardly cheerful and kind but with this nasty shit in the background.

I compare them to the Mormons quite often. Particularly in how they got their start (I often say Charles Russell "pulled a Joseph Smith") and in how they treat those within their circle.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
12-02-2014, 11:04 AM
There is the point that "no relationship is ever truly equal." One person always leads, and the other follows. However I HATE the teaching that women MUST be the lesser or submissive partner. I hate the teachings of the JWs that state that the major decisions and operations of a family are taken out of the hands of women.

I have no problem with women who knowingly CHOOSE to be submissive, that's their choice. But it is a CHOICE, not an obligation. And TBH I think a relationship where both parties act as joint partners is more healthy.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post