Christian "Modesty Survey" Is Sexist, Ridiculous

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
RE: Christian "Modesty Survey" Is Sexist, Ridiculous
(21-01-2012 10:31 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

I've had a look through some of the lists and just about everything is immodest or a "Stumbling block". I'm looking to see if they recommend women start to wear burkas you know in case they wear something as revealing as *gasp* a shirt with a POCKET!!! [Image: smiley-shocked019.gif]

Did you notice that most of the people said that "WASNT" revealing!! They just ask the questions and guys say whether or not it is or isn't modest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2013, 09:14 AM
(21-01-2012 10:18 PM)tinypepa Wrote:  So, thanks (but maybe no thanks for the frustration it brought me) to the Godless Bitches podcast, I found out about a Christian modesty survey taken by several Christian men, young and old, about what is considered "immodest" dress by women.

http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse

I guess what drives me crazy is the fact that not only does it serve as a way for men to dictate what women should wear, (and that they are the only ones who can be immodest? where is the men's clothing survey?) I think it's just as demeaning to men to say that they are uncontrollably horny beasts.

Christian guys really spend this much time freaking out about how they may get a boner if a girl's bra strap is showing? I feel like we are living in the 1700s and no one gave me the message.

Anyway, I was so incensed by this study that I had to post on this "organization"'s Facebook page.. I'm sure not many people will actually see it or care, and my boyfriend and I will probably send lengthy emails to the directors of this organization...whose goal, by the way, is to start "a teenage rebellion against the low expectations of an ungodly culture". I think it's kind of lowering my expectations of Christians as "pure" thinking individuals, I mean, if seeing panty lines sets them into a tizzy... :x

Please let me know your opinions.
Ahh, sorry for the double post! The first one didn't seem like it posted.

Totally don't want to start an arguement but there are some girls that try to dress modestly but don't actually know what guys think is immodest, so those surveys are appreciated so at least the knowledge is available.
03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
(22-01-2012 07:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  Another view is that these views are the result of repressing or sublimating their own 'dirty thoughts'.

You will find the most repressive ones are the biggest sinners.
Indeed, It seems that sexual repression is a dangerous thing and actually encourages what many religious people would call 'perversion'; people have poorer control over urges they don't treat in a healthy manner.
A phenomenon TVtropes likes to call Sex is evil and i'm horny.
03-06-2013, 01:18 PM
It all started before clothing was invented and everyone was running around nekkid and ogling each other.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
(21-01-2012 10:18 PM)tinypepa Wrote:  So, thanks (but maybe no thanks for the frustration it brought me) to the Godless Bitches podcast, I found out about a Christian modesty survey taken by several Christian men, young and old, about what is considered "immodest" dress by women.

http://www.therebelution.com/modestysurvey/browse

I guess what drives me crazy is the fact that not only does it serve as a way for men to dictate what women should wear, (and that they are the only ones who can be immodest? where is the men's clothing survey?) I think it's just as demeaning to men to say that they are uncontrollably horny beasts.

Christian guys really spend this much time freaking out about how they may get a boner if a girl's bra strap is showing? I feel like we are living in the 1700s and no one gave me the message.

Anyway, I was so incensed by this study that I had to post on this "organization"'s Facebook page.. I'm sure not many people will actually see it or care, and my boyfriend and I will probably send lengthy emails to the directors of this organization...whose goal, by the way, is to start "a teenage rebellion against the low expectations of an ungodly culture". I think it's kind of lowering my expectations of Christians as "pure" thinking individuals, I mean, if seeing panty lines sets them into a tizzy... :x

Please let me know your opinions.
Ahh, sorry for the double post! The first one didn't seem like it posted.

What I really want to know is where is Godless Bitches and how do I join?!
03-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Surveys like this are very annoying indeed. But they're nowhere near as annoying to me as atheists who say we should be tolerant of this sort of nonsense.

It's one thing to believe in magic, but it's quite another to inflict your poisonous fairy tales on children and others in society through legislation.

I lost a huge amount of respect for Richard Dawkins not long ago in an interview he did with some religious twit. The guy mentioned that he read in Richard's book that he believes religion to be child abuse. Then he asked Dawkins point blank if he really thinks religion is child abuse.... Richard paused a moment and then said no. I wanted to vomit.

But yeah, silly shit like that survey are annoying but spineless atheists piss me off a lot more, because they're essentially approving of this shit by not speaking out about just how much damage it does to people.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
This whole thing seems to be asking the question of a bunch of slightly repressed teenage boys what sexy looks like. Let's not be surprised when the answer comes back as "Girls. Oh and those things they wear. Oh. And those things they do. Yeah."

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
(03-06-2013 05:07 PM)cjs Wrote:  What I really want to know is where is Godless Bitches and how do I join?!

The bitches are a sister podcast of the atheist experience focused on feminist and social issues. Beth, Tracie and Jen are regulars.

Link: http://godlessbitches.podbean.com

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks!! That sounds like the group for me.
30-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Having been a Christian guy for much of my life, I can relate to the "struggle" for "purity". The goal of course is to never have a single sexual thought until you kiss your bride. But repressing sexuality is like trying to hold a beach ball underwater... It requires constant vigilance, it makes you seem crazy, and it does absolutely no good other than depriving people of having fun.

To generalize from my experience, the problem is an unthinking, unquestioning attitude towards an interpretation of the bible. If jesus really said to never look at a woman lustfully, then we need to do that!! On the contrary, common sense tells us that thoughts and actions that increase human happiness without causing suffering have no reason to be considered evil.