Christian Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Christian Movies
If you grew up in a conservative church setting, you may remember having "movie night" at your church. The church I grew up in didn't necessarily believe secular movies were evil and to be avoided, but there was much talk about only watching things that were "edifying" and not filled with immoral practices, like saying the word "Damn."

So, back in the 70's and early 80's, it was commonplace that every time a Christian movie came out, we'd all either trek together to the theater to see something like "Chariots of Fire," or "Jesus," or "The Hiding Place!"

But the best memories of all were the really poorly produced Christian movies that ONLY got a viewing because they were indeed, Christian movies.

Some of these were laughable, of course. But for a young lad, some were downright terrorizing. Denicio and I have talked about some of the End Times movies that we watched as kids and they really did a mindfuck on us, making us fear that the End was near, the Antichrist was coming, and if we took the Mark of the Beast, we'd be beheaded.

Here are a few of those great moments!

Computers are Evil!!!!

I also had the comic book version AND the paperback book version!

The last such Christian movie I went to see was called "Fireproof," starring our very own Kirk Cameron. It was touted by my Christee friends as being a high quality film that also had a wonderful message of saving the marriages of Men and Women (but not the Gays!). Now I'm looking forward to the new movie that is sure to come out with the kid from Two and a Half Men as a new Christian Convert!

Anyone else need to exorcise their Fundie Movie Demons? Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: Christian Movies
I suddenly have a new-found respect for your outstanding normalcy, in light of... well, the above speaks for itself.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-11-2012, 02:37 PM
My Mormon fiance was very fond of "Baptists at our Barbeque" and had me sit through that earlier this year. I think she found it more comical than I did. As for me, I thought it was more revealing than comical, and even more revealing that she found it funny.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
28-11-2012, 03:25 PM
(28-11-2012 02:37 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  My Mormon fiance was very fond of "Baptists at our Barbeque" and had me sit through that earlier this year. I think she found it more comical than I did. As for me, I thought it was more revealing than comical, and even more revealing that she found it funny.
Oh! Oh! You just reminded me of another classic!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
28-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Gospel of John wasn't that bad... I mean, it's better than most Christian movies; likewise, The Passion was pretty entertaining and well done.

Does Book of Eli count as a "Christian movie"? If so, that's an awesome Christian movie.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-11-2012, 03:35 PM
(28-11-2012 02:37 PM)Vera Wrote:  I suddenly have a new-found respect for your outstanding normalcy, in light of... well, the above speaks for itself.

You called Lord Erxy normal Laughat

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
28-11-2012, 03:45 PM
(28-11-2012 03:31 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Gospel of John wasn't that bad... I mean, it's better than most Christian movies; likewise, The Passion was pretty entertaining and well done.

Does Book of Eli count as a "Christian movie"? If so, that's an awesome Christian movie.
The Book of Eli is too good to be a Christian movie. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
28-11-2012, 04:05 PM
10 years ago there was this christian girl I worked with.. strongly blind in her faith. Told her she needed to wind down a bit.. take a risk or two and go out with me.. Suggested she could come to my place for some dinner.. movie and pop'corn. Watch the movie Stigmata or somthing.. Thumbsup

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
28-11-2012, 04:05 PM
(28-11-2012 03:35 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 02:37 PM)Vera Wrote:  I suddenly have a new-found respect for your outstanding normalcy, in light of... well, the above speaks for itself.

You called Lord Erxy normal Laughat
I do beg the forum's forgiveness. I will now withdraw, put on my sackcloth and go scourge myself. [Image: whip2.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-11-2012, 04:24 PM
(28-11-2012 04:05 PM)ddrew Wrote:  10 years ago there was this christian girl I worked with.. strongly blind in her faith. Told her she needed to wind down a bit.. take a risk or two and go out with me.. Suggested she could come to my place for some dinner.. movie and pop'corn. Watch the movie Stigmata or somthing.. Thumbsup

Nice work, DevilDrew!

This is a good example of a movie that I would NOT have seen because it seemed to be too demonic. Scary! Unsure Now I have it reserved in my Netflix queue to watch later tonight. Big Grin

It's also a good example of the way my "critical thinking" worked back in the day. I fully believed in the existence of YWHW and his son Jesus, but stuff like "stigmata" was pure bullshit to Pastor Erxomai. Any report of that sort of thing was seen by me, and likely most Protestants, as being fake. Yet, if I prayed God would help me find a parking spot near the store when it was raining, that was completely sane. Sadcryface2