Christian Pastor Kills Neighbor's Cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Christian Pastor Kills Neighbor's Cat
This is sick, psychopathic.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Bastrop-Pastor-...34273.html

BASTROP, Texas -- A Central Texas pastor is being accused of throwing a neighbor's cat off of a bridge.

Rick Bartlett, pastor of the Bastrop Christian Church, is facing animal cruelty charges. Bastrop Police Chief Michael Black said Bartlett admitted that he caught the cat, named Moody, in a trap on Sunday, Jan. 15. Bartlett told them that he was having a problem with feral cats in his garden.

Moody also told police that he had the cat in a cage in the back of his pick-up truck for three days and forgot about him until Tuesday, Jan. 17., when Bartlett brought the cat to police. An animal control officer noticed a name tag including the phone number of Moody’s owners, Sarah and Eddy Bell, on the cat's collar. The officer offered to take Moody back to his owners but police said Bartlett told them he’d take the cat back himself since they were his neighbors.

Later on the same day, a park visitor discovered Moody’s near lifeless body on the bank of the Colorado River, some 40-50 feet below a bridge.

Greg Maynard, a veterinarian with the Crossroads Animal Hospital, said Moody had severe internal injuries but no external injuries consitent with being hit with a car. Maynard said Moody was "just laid out like a sack of potatoes. No obvious signs of trauma externally. No blood or nothing broke."

The same Animal Control Officer who came to the injured cat’s aid last Tuesday was the same officer who assisted Bartlett earlier that day. She recognized the cat which is how police made the connection to the pastor.

Moody was Sarah and Eddy Bell's cat for 11 years. They are having a difficult time understanding what happened to the beloved member of their family. Trying to explain his death to their five-year old daughter has proved challenging.

“She also asked me where Moody is now and I said, 'Baby he's in Heaven,'" said Sarah. "She knows the man who did this is a pastor at the Bastrop Christian Church and she said, 'I don't believe in Heaven anymore, Moody's just dead.'”

So far, no witnesses have come forward saying they saw Bartlett throwing Moody from the bridge, but in the eyes of the law, the animal cruelty charges are the same since he admitted to police that the animal was in his care.

Attempts to reach Bartlett for comment on this story Monday were unsuccessful.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2012, 08:27 PM
RE: Christian Pastor Kills Neighbor's Cat
Sick, twisted, son of a bitch.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm not for torture on feral cats. But it has become a real problem with wild animals and ground birds. Trapping them and destroying them through the state wildlife channels is the only option at this point. Rarely does a feral cat become tame again. They go wild and don't trust people. Most of the feral cats carry disease (cat AIDS), then they intern pass it on to the next cat so on and so on. To just spay and nutter them is not a option either. Cats kill for pleasure. I am a animal lover and it is hard for me to think like this. I just cant find a realistic way to deal with this problem.

Now that moron that threw the cat off the bridge should have the same fate. Let him suffer for a day or two before he can get treatment. If he dies so be it. Their is a humane way to deal with feral cats.
26-01-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm not really for killing off feral cats. I've lived around feral cats plenty (tamed some), and your discussion of disease and altogether ferality can move onto humans who are hyper aggressive and carry STDs. The only difference is that it's less likely an aggressive human kills a more tame human than with cats. Though I've known plenty of aggressive humans who seem to kill more cats than feral cats do >.> Yes there can be issues with large numbers of strays, but there is an even bigger issue with overcrowding of people. Wild dogs have a higher likelihood of becoming dangerous to humans, and neither should get this sort of treatment. If you want to call something humane then spread it to humans as well.

I'm not a crazy tree hugger, but it's definitely not their fault that they don't have a forest to live in in many areas. I've knwn plenty of feral cat packs in backwoods who didn't act all that bad. And yes most of the people who shoot cats grew up on farms. Where cats and gophers are seen as thieves and nothing else. Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I get a bit bothered by the arguments people tend to call a logical approach to dealing with the rest of life.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-01-2012, 09:39 AM
The things I'd do to this scum if I ever got my hands on him.

I would strip his skin off only to sow it back on. When it heals I would repeat the process. He will beg for death and even more I'll make him kill himself just so he's seen as a failure in the eyes of his pathetic so called god. Do not fuck with me.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
26-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Not defending this guy's actions at all... but, something stuck out to me:

Quote:So far, no witnesses have come forward saying they saw Bartlett throwing Moody from the bridge, but in the eyes of the law, the animal cruelty charges are the same since he admitted to police that the animal was in his care.

Innocent until proven guilty, guys. It certainly looks like he did the act that was described, but it has not been proven yet.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
26-01-2012, 01:28 PM
(26-01-2012 09:02 AM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  I'm not for torture on feral cats. But it has become a real problem with wild animals and ground birds. Trapping them and destroying them through the state wildlife channels is the only option at this point. Rarely does a feral cat become tame again. They go wild and don't trust people. Most of the feral cats carry disease (cat AIDS), then they intern pass it on to the next cat so on and so on. To just spay and nutter them is not a option either. Cats kill for pleasure. I am a animal lover and it is hard for me to think like this. I just cant find a realistic way to deal with this problem.

Now that moron that threw the cat off the bridge should have the same fate. Let him suffer for a day or two before he can get treatment. If he dies so be it. Their is a humane way to deal with feral cats.

I'm afraid there's some over-generalization there.

Some feral cat colonies are infected with FIV and most aren't.
In my house, we have successfully tamed more than 18 feral cats over the years.
Cats do not kill for pleasure - that's just silly.

Spay/neuter and return is a very viable option for ferals. The colony eventually ceases to exist.
(26-01-2012 09:39 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  The things I'd do to this scum if I ever got my hands on him.

I would strip his skin off only to sow it back on. When it heals I would repeat the process. He will beg for death and even more I'll make him kill himself just so he's seen as a failure in the eyes of his pathetic so called god. Do not fuck with me.

Simpler to tie him up, leave him in the back of the truck for 3 days, then toss him off the bridge. Probably almost as satisfying.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2012, 02:46 PM
(26-01-2012 01:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not defending this guy's actions at all... but, something stuck out to me:

Quote:So far, no witnesses have come forward saying they saw Bartlett throwing Moody from the bridge, but in the eyes of the law, the animal cruelty charges are the same since he admitted to police that the animal was in his care.

Innocent until proven guilty, guys. It certainly looks like he did the act that was described, but it has not been proven yet.

I'm inclined to think the same except …
Quote:Bartlett also told police that he had the cat in a cage in the back of his pick-up truck for three days and forgot about him until Tuesday, Jan. 17., when Bartlett brought the cat to police. An animal control officer noticed a name tag including the phone number of Moody’s owners, Sarah and Eddy Bell, on the cat's collar. The officer offered to take Moody back to his owners but police said Bartlett told them he’d take the cat back himself since they were his neighbors.

Though a person is discovered standing over a body holding a smoking gun, he may not have been the person who shot the body. Further evidence must be obtained -kind of a paper trail to establish responsibility. In legal circles, this is called a "smoking gun".

Bartlett admitted to starving this cat for three days. This cat was in his possession when last seen alive. Bartlett admitted to recently trapping cats and to knowing this cat and it's owners, establishing both motive and premeditation.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, what we have here is a smoking cat.
_____
He transferred the cat from a trap to a cage and did not notice it's tag, which the police saw right away? Idiot. So, will he just plead stupid or uncaring, psychopathic, asshole?

Thanks to Pastor Bartlett, little Sarah has brutally become a once and future Atheist. No child should have to deal with senseless violence.

Pastor Bartlett; a faith builder. Thank you pastor for once again torturing the innocent to spread your special brand of love. Angel

Pathetic dick.
Sleepy RIP little Moody.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Come on, now; if it wasn't a Christian, it wouldn't be a story. Angel

Got me to thinking if I'd kill a cat for being in my garden.... no. I chase my neighbor's cat outta here. It gets on the roof. At three in the morning, chicks think it's a burgular and call the cops. It's a problem. If I had to, I'd kill the chick. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-01-2012, 09:40 PM
I taught the last stray we had hanging around a valuable lesson it won’t soon forget…

Had her for about six years now, she’s a little overweight and dribbles like a tap but she’s just the most friendly lovable cat I’ve ever had.
Gets on well with the other two strays that we’ve taken in too…

Lesson learnt: Sometimes you get lucky…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post