Christian Questionnaire 1.0

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 12:08 PM
RE: Christian Questionnaire 1.0
(01-10-2014 05:29 PM)Hoops Wrote:  I am not sure, maybe I misunderstood the O.P. but I thought it was perhaps a taste of questions the OP might ask during a debate/discussion, broken down by category. I didn't think the OP was going to hand it out like an official questionnaire. Huh

Sorry for not being clear. You had my intention exactly though.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2014, 12:11 PM
(02-10-2014 07:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If your goal is a civil conversation with a Christian, I'd avoid use of the word "sect". While it's a completely accurate label for what you're asking, to a lot of Christians, sects are what other religions have; Christianity has denominations.

Now, I have no idea why this is the case, but it is. Calling Christian denominations sects might come off as combative. That being said, I totally call them sects in certain contexts, so it just depends on your goal.

Thank you. I will be sure to correct that. I wonder why they care?

(02-10-2014 07:47 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  if you make an assumption about what they believe in a response, say that, and give them a chance to correct your assumptions.

That is a great idea. Thank you.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
02-10-2014, 01:06 PM
(02-10-2014 12:11 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Thank you. I will be sure to correct that. I wonder why they care?

I seriously have no idea. From my understanding, the word "sect" isn't insulting to other religions. For whatever reason, Christians have another word to describe it.
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
(02-10-2014 01:06 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 12:11 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Thank you. I will be sure to correct that. I wonder why they care?

I seriously have no idea. From my understanding, the word "sect" isn't insulting to other religions. For whatever reason, Christians have another word to describe it.

I think MAYBE its because the media is constantly talking about the conflict in the middle east, and they always refer to Shiites and Sunnis(spelling?) as different sects of Islam. I think certain Christians feel that when you refer to them as a sect rather than a denomination that you might be lumping them in with Islamic religions, and that would be unsettling to a fundamentalist Christian....I think.

"You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down!"
03-10-2014, 04:56 AM
No, they hate the word 'sects' because it sounds like 'sex'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Regarding the science area, I'd add more questions there. Many theists think they understand evolution but simply don't understand the basic building blocks. Do they understand natural selection, genetic variation, etc. Asking more detail would weed out the ones that are answering that area incorrectly based on ignorance.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
03-10-2014, 12:31 PM
(30-09-2014 04:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  Creationism
1. Do you believe literally the creation account as written in Genesis? - yes
2. Do you believe the earth is only a few thousand years old? - that would logically follow from the previous...

Science
1. Are you a science literate person? - no
2. Have you studied and do you understand the theory of evolution? - no
3. Have you studied and do you understand the big bang theory? - no
4. Do you accept evolution and the big bang as the best explanations of the origins of the cosmos and life on Earth? - no
5. Do you consider a belief in a god, or a religion, to be compatible with the theories of evolution and the big bang? - yes

Religion
1. Do you belong to a specific sect of Christianity? - no
2. Do you attend church, if so, what kind? - no
3. Do you consider one particular form of Christianity to be true, while all others are false? - yes
4. Do you consider non-Christian religions to be false? - yes
5. Do you have any theological or spiritual beliefs that contradict or otherwise differ from your particular belief system? - If I find any, I will immediately fix them
6. Do you consider anything outside of religion to be a source for truth? - yes, religion is not a source for truth
7. Are you educated/informed when it comes to the beliefs of other major and/or minor religions? - no
8. What is your opinion of the faith claims of other religious people? - stupid humans

The Bible
1. Have you read the bible, if so, how much of it? - no
2. Do you believe the bible to be revelation from god? - corrupted by stupid humans
3. Do you believe the bible was written by human authors? - yes
4. Do you believe the bible is infallible? - no
5. Do you believe the bible is a good moral reference? - no
6. Do you believe the bible is historically accurate? - yes
7. Do you take the bible literally? - yes

Miracles
1. How do you define a miracle? - humans being arrogant
2. Do you believe miracles take place? - no
3. Do you believe the miracles mentioned in the bible actually took place? - not as miracles
4. Do you believe miracles still take place in modern times? - no
5. Do you consider natural disasters to be the deliberate work of god? - yes
6. Have you ever witnessed a miracle? - no, and if I did, I wouldn't consider it one
7. Have you every heard about a miracle that you did not witness yourself, but that you were convinced of its truth? - no
8. Do you consider miracles performed by a specific person to be evidence of that person's divinity? - no

Spirituality and Personal Experience
1. Do you experience a private relationship or connection with a god? - no
2. Has a god made his/her self known to you so that you are certain whom you are experiencing revelation from? - no
3. Have you experienced direct contact with anything supernatural besides god? - no
4. Have you ever had any doubts about your faith, and if so, how serious were they? - Of course, otherwise I'd still be an atheist

Prayer
1. Do you pray, if so, how and to whom? - prayer is retarded and arrogant
2. Do you believe that your prayers are answered? - N/A
3. How do you experience answers to prayer? N/A

Faith
1. Is your belief in god and/or religion based on faith, evidence, or both? - TAG
2. Do you consider faith a good method for learning truth? - no
3. Do you consider faith a virtue? - absolutely not
4. Is faith good for people? - no

The Big Questions
1. What is your purpose in life? - That's a stupid question
2. Why do you exist? - As God's plaything
3. What is the meaning of your life? - There isn't one, unless it's suffering
4. Do you believe your meaning/purpose in life is universal, or only applicable to you? - No idea
5. What role, if any, does humanity have here on Earth? - God's playthings
6. Do you believe in an afterlife? - yes
7. Do you believe you were alive in any sense before you were born? - No idea
8. Do you believe in heaven and hell, or something similar? If so, where are people of different faiths, or the lack thereof, headed? - Everyone is headed for hell

Truth seeker.
03-10-2014, 12:39 PM
(30-09-2014 04:19 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  In my limited experience debating and discussing religion, I have noticed that it can be very easy to make assumptions about religious people. A belief system is very different from thinking independently on every subject, even though it is still possible to do so in a limited way within one. Belief systems prohibit certain beliefs/ideas while making others mandatory. I, and others like me, read all about one particular faith, say Christianity, and we think we know what Christians believe. The problem is, we are usually wrong.

In practice, believers hardly fall into such rigid categories. They can dabble in free thought, or even turn out to be a freethinker in disguise. I have attacked enough straw men in the past that I want to know a little more about the actual position whoever I am talking to. In order to attempt this in a simple and direct way, I have written the following questionnaire. No doubt I have missed something, so I will be revising it as I go along.

Feel free to poke holes in these at will. I want to make them really good. Feel free to send me suggestions and criticisms. There are probably some great questions I haven't thought to ask yet, that someone on TTA has thought of.

Creationism
1. Do you believe literally the creation account as written in Genesis?
2. Do you believe the earth is only a few thousand years old?

Science
1. Are you a science literate person?
2. Have you studied and do you understand the theory of evolution?
3. Have you studied and do you understand the big bang theory?
4. Do you accept evolution and the big bang as the best explanations of the origins of the cosmos and life on Earth?
5. Do you consider a belief in a god, or a religion, to be compatible with the theories of evolution and the big bang?

Religion
1. Do you belong to a specific sect of Christianity?
2. Do you attend church, if so, what kind?
3. Do you consider one particular form of Christianity to be true, while all others are false?
4. Do you consider non-Christian religions to be false?
5. Do you have any theological or spiritual beliefs that contradict or otherwise differ from your particular belief system?
6. Do you consider anything outside of religion to be a source for truth?
7. Are you educated/informed when it comes to the beliefs of other major and/or minor religions?
8. What is your opinion of the faith claims of other religious people?

The Bible
1. Have you read the bible, if so, how much of it?
2. Do you believe the bible to be revelation from god?
3. Do you believe the bible was written by human authors?
4. Do you believe the bible is infallible?
5. Do you believe the bible is a good moral reference?
6. Do you believe the bible is historically accurate?
7. Do you take the bible literally?

Miracles
1. How do you define a miracle?
2. Do you believe miracles take place?
3. Do you believe the miracles mentioned in the bible actually took place?
4. Do you believe miracles still take place in modern times?
5. Do you consider natural disasters to be the deliberate work of god?
6. Have you ever witnessed a miracle?
7. Have you every heard about a miracle that you did not witness yourself, but that you were convinced of its truth?
8. Do you consider miracles performed by a specific person to be evidence of that person's divinity?

Spirituality and Personal Experience
1. Do you experience a private relationship or connection with a god?
2. Has a god made his/her self known to you so that you are certain whom you are experiencing revelation from?
3. Have you experienced direct contact with anything supernatural besides god?
4. Have you ever had any doubts about your faith, and if so, how serious were they?

Prayer
1. Do you pray, if so, how and to whom?
2. Do you believe that your prayers are answered?
3. How do you experience answers to prayer?

Faith
1. Is your belief in god and/or religion based on faith, evidence, or both?
2. Do you consider faith a good method for learning truth?
3. Do you consider faith a virtue?
4. Is faith good for people?

The Big Questions
1. What is your purpose in life?
2. Why do you exist?
3. What is the meaning of your life?
4. Do you believe your meaning/purpose in life is universal, or only applicable to you?
5. What role, if any, does humanity have here on Earth?
6. Do you believe in an afterlife?
7. Do you believe you were alive in any sense before you were born?
8. Do you believe in heaven and hell, or something similar? If so, where are people of different faiths, or the lack thereof, headed?

Are you implying that people should run around with a questionnaire asking their friends about their beliefs? Tongue
03-10-2014, 12:58 PM
(03-10-2014 12:39 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  Are you implying that people should run around with a questionnaire asking their friends about their beliefs? Tongue

No.

-Karl Marx
03-10-2014, 02:30 PM
The science questions felt condescending to me. If they are hearing this from someone they know to be an atheist, who they will see as possibly coming down on them anyway, a question like, "are you science literate?" comes off as, "are you stupid?" And the subsequent questions feel like bait for mistakes.

I would maybe rephrase those to something more ...gentle?
1. Are you interested in science?
2. Do you keep up with new scientific discoveries?
3. Do you feel you could explain the process of evolution? the Big Bang?

Your original 4 and 5 are fine.

Just my 2 cents.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post